Votes: 22 21.0%
  • I have 22 frets but would like a 24 fret guitar

Votes: 7 6.7%
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking last night while I was playing my CS Clapton, "I sure wish I had 24 frets"
Then I started thinking why ?
Yngwie has 21 frets, Paul Gilbert and his favorite right now, Fireman has 22 frets,
Greg howe has 22 frets, Joe Satriani has 22 frets, Eric Johnson 21 frets and so on...

Please answer correctly, it's not a matter of do you like 22 or 24 but do you use your extra 2 frets at all ?

I have been learning a few RacerX songs and I can't remember a time where I go beyond the 22 fret, sure it would be nice to have 24 frets then it would be easier to hit the 22 fret ;)

·
Registered
174 Posts
TWENTY SEVEN !! like Mr Suicmez of Necrophagist.
by the way, does anybody have pictures of his newest LACS, 7 string, 27 frets. Xiphos, of course.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I'm cool with 22, but 24 is alright too. Hey who cares though? It's your instrument you can have 32 like Uli Jon Roth. No one needs to tell anyone else what is and isn't acceptable for fret numbers.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
32 frets, I would get lost fast :lol:
Dude I get lost after 12.

The point is to be musical not to have the coolest gear, so use what works for you. If it requires more frets then so be it. The same can be said about amps, pickups, strings, heck even cables.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
You forgot one option in the poll - I don't care/it doesn't matter. ;)

I've got guitars with 22 and 24. I get by fine on both.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Actually I recently bought a 335 copy, an Epiphone Sheraton and decided, during a gig, that the best song from our set to use it on was "Oh Pretty Woman" the Gary Moore version of the Albert King song. I must play it differently to Gary as I'd seen him play it on either a 335 or Les Paul without trouble but when I played it I realised I needed more than 22 frets, really put me off!
So I vote 24 and use 'em (but not really that often)!
Jim

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dude I get lost after 12.

The point is to be musical not to have the coolest gear, so use what works for you. If it requires more frets then so be it. The same can be said about amps, pickups, strings, heck even cables.
I think your really missing my point, I'm a guitar teacher and have been playing for
a long time and I'm not trying to find out what's hot or not and I don't care.
So go preach to someone else m8.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
22 to allow the neck pickup to sit right under the 24th fret harmonic spot, à la Strat. it makes difference. also, i never run beyond the 16th fret, so who cares...

·
Registered
117 Posts
I think your really missing my point, I'm a guitar teacher and have been playing for
Isn't that exactly what he said?

He said it's about being musical and not who has the coolest gear.

Oh and to get back to topic..

My two Ibanez's have 24 and I use them all night long.

My strats got 22 and I find myself so used to going to 24 that I've tried to play on the neck pup once lol.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Isn't that exactly what he said?

He said it's about being musical and not who has the coolest gear.

Oh and to get back to topic..

My two Ibanez's have 24 and I use them all night long.

My strats got 22 and I find myself so used to going to 24 that I've tried to play on the neck pup once lol.
You might be right, maybe I'm in a bad mood.
Sorry if that was uncalled for ;)

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I'm glad you're a guitar teacher. Let me assure you I wasn't directing any comments at you specifically or in order to patronize anyone. Just saying that it doesn't matter what we use, really, it only matters what you want to use.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
22 to allow the neck pickup to sit right under the 24th fret harmonic spot, à la Strat. it makes difference. also, i never run beyond the 16th fret, so who cares...
I like the sound of the neck pickups on a 22 fret guitar, 22 is enough for me. ohh and of course carrots.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm glad you're a guitar teacher. Let me assure you I wasn't directing any comments at you specifically or in order to patronize anyone. Just saying that it doesn't matter what we use, really, it only matters what you want to use.
Thank you, I'm sorry about my reaction, it was stupid.

"It only matters what you want to use"

That's true, I have wanted to get a flying V RR for a long time but I have never bought it because of what my friends would say, yes I know it's pathetic that I would think like that but somehow I still do, and I would be afraid to gig it.... don't know why.
It's like playing a 770DX RED in church :lol:
Something I would love to play there but somehow I would take the Strat or Les Paul just so I wouldn't be standing there wondering what they might think...

1 - 20 of 51 Posts