Votes: 38 33.3%
  • I have a whole room :)

Votes: 34 29.8%
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In all seriousness (as if), how many guitars do you guys think is enough? What do you use them all for? That's apart from looking gorgeous on your wall, of course.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
This is certainly not my personal motto but, trying to be objective, it depends on a few things...

1) Guy in a varied cover band-Strat style, LP style, and a backup. Acoustic optional...

2) Guy in an original band-Whatever guitar he personally sounds like himself on and a backup. Acoustic optional...

3) Session guy-Should have quite a few varied guitars for all occasions. Floyd equipped, LP style, strat style, tele style, some vintage stuff, acoustics of variety...

4) Guy who used to play when he was younger, and does so now as a hobby-A main electric and an acoustic.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
How long is a piece of string?

Different answer for everyone. I play all 15 of mine at different times depending on the band and my mood. 1 plus a back up would do - but where's the fun in that? :)

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I realise everyone has a different answer. I just want to see how different people respond for funs. It depends on how you define "enough". I have 4, an S-series, a thinline tele, a home-made strat and a cheap electro-acoustic. I think I could easily handle a few more though.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Always just one more than the number you currently have...
This is the truth.

I'd say honestly enough is like 3-4. But since they're something we love and get enjoyment out of there doesn't even need to be any discussion of "enough." It's not like underwear or socks, where there is a useful number and then after that it's just too crowded in your drawer. Guitars aren't so utilitarian.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Always just one more than the number you currently have...
Exactly. I used to have about 7s when I was a teenager and didn't have to worry about paying bills and whatnot (I have have 2 electrics and I'm likely selling 1 of them...damn recession, but maybe not).

I start to have withdrawl pains if I don't get a new guitar about once every yearish or so. It's rather brutal.

But really you need at the very least 2 guitars for every tuning you play in. In case you break all your strings or for gigging it is an absolutely must. I think with electrics it isn't as essential to have a whole bunch of guitars as it is with acoustics. With effects and amps you can get most any tone out of any electric but each acoustic guitar has it's own unique voice that could be just the right sound for a sound.

I also think that everybody should have atleast 1 floating bridge and 1 fixed guitar but that's just me.

·
Registered
563 Posts
In the words of Pete Townshend, "a little is enough"

1 electric (for me, a strat); down the road I might buy a paul
1 bass (for me, a precision)
1 acoustic

and I'm a happy camper.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm at eight right now. But that includes three axe's I don't play anymore but won't sell due to emotional value.

The guitars I play the most are my Universe, gotta love those guitars! And my RG2027.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts