Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  j.arledge 
#1 ·
how many of you have played and liked the peavey ultra 112? I've been looking around for one of these amps cause of the price, and amount of gain. I am currently just starting out in a band that plays decently heavy music. It's not death metal or hardcore, just pretty heavy distortion at times, but also clean, and medium gain stuff (I even get to use an EBOW, which i've never gotten to use before, but thats beside the point :)). I'm looking for this amp to be strictly a practice amp at the practice room. There are a couple right now on the infamous auction site that aren't too much money. Ii did a serach on here and didn't find too much other than "try peavey ultra". I haven't seen any descriptions really. What do you guys think?? Thanks a lot

Discussion starter · #3 ·
jamesb_88 said:
Hi, my mate had one when i first started playing in a band, he was rhythm guitarist and usually used a mexican tele on it, it sounded nice, but no matter how good the guitar you plugged in, never sounded umphful... if you're with me... I bought a spider 212 then...Pick up a line6 spider, or spider2, or a AX2 (secondhand)...It'll make hell of a lot of difference.

Cheers
James
i'm not one for modeler amps.. never was much into line 6s. not knockin on you by any means. just not for me. could the lack of umph be from the single coiled tele??

Discussion starter · #5 ·
jra2217 said:
i had a peavey ultra head not the ultra plus. It sucked . nosie and didn't very much gain . It was freaking loud but that didn't make up for it's other issues .
what kinda music do you play?? because when i last played one, which was many years ago (like 8 or something), i thought they had a lot of gain and were pretty clear. but it's been a while, so i don't remember much about it other than i liked it. what would you recommend for a 112 tube combo for $350 or less?

Discussion starter · #8 ·
i basically just want something that is cheap and will get me through the day for practices. I have a Mesa Mark IV setup for shows.. it's in a big rack case, and i dont' feel like hauling that to practice. it doesn't have to be a perfect sounding amp.. just something that can do some ok high gain, ok rhythm chunks, and ok cleans. the key here really is price, cause i gotta get my mark iv rig finished up, and i want most of money for that, but i still need a practice combo. right now i'm using a swr acoustic amp with the horn disengaged and a boss me8. i don't wanna be using that once the drummer comes into the room, cuase it will not penetrate at all. now i know you guys have said what you don't like about this amp, but do you think that it would be an ok amp for a practice session, cause this is probably the cheapest 3 channel tube amp i can find that is pretty versatile that has actually pretty good Harmony-Central reviews. i like the idea of the valveking, but i'm unsure what they sound like. are they supposed to be a heavier amp, or something more like the classic 30??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.