Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  j.arledge 
#1 ·
how many of you have played and liked the peavey ultra 112? I've been looking around for one of these amps cause of the price, and amount of gain. I am currently just starting out in a band that plays decently heavy music. It's not death metal or hardcore, just pretty heavy distortion at times, but also clean, and medium gain stuff (I even get to use an EBOW, which i've never gotten to use before, but thats beside the point :)). I'm looking for this amp to be strictly a practice amp at the practice room. There are a couple right now on the infamous auction site that aren't too much money. Ii did a serach on here and didn't find too much other than "try peavey ultra". I haven't seen any descriptions really. What do you guys think?? Thanks a lot

#2 ·
Hi, my mate had one when i first started playing in a band, he was rhythm guitarist and usually used a mexican tele on it, it sounded nice, but no matter how good the guitar you plugged in, never sounded umphful... if you're with me... I bought a spider 212 then...Pick up a line6 spider, or spider2, or a AX2 (secondhand)...It'll make hell of a lot of difference.

Cheers
James

#3 ·
jamesb_88 said:
Hi, my mate had one when i first started playing in a band, he was rhythm guitarist and usually used a mexican tele on it, it sounded nice, but no matter how good the guitar you plugged in, never sounded umphful... if you're with me... I bought a spider 212 then...Pick up a line6 spider, or spider2, or a AX2 (secondhand)...It'll make hell of a lot of difference.

Cheers
James
i'm not one for modeler amps.. never was much into line 6s. not knockin on you by any means. just not for me. could the lack of umph be from the single coiled tele??

#5 ·
jra2217 said:
i had a peavey ultra head not the ultra plus. It sucked . nosie and didn't very much gain . It was freaking loud but that didn't make up for it's other issues .
what kinda music do you play?? because when i last played one, which was many years ago (like 8 or something), i thought they had a lot of gain and were pretty clear. but it's been a while, so i don't remember much about it other than i liked it. what would you recommend for a 112 tube combo for $350 or less?

#6 · (Edited)
i was playing metal through it . I was happy with it at all , and it went back the next day . I played musical a power amp tubes with it and it sounded like crap still . I didn't have any spare 12ax7 s though .

IT may have had something wrong from shipping or the 12ax7s where low quality or low grade , i dont know but i didn't feel like screwing with it .

peavey xxx 1x12 combo on the bay now for 350

tube and under 350 maybe hard . Laney is suppose to have some really nice stuff, they can be higher though . You may be able to find a carvin mts 2x12 for under 350 .

The peavey classics are really nice if you have a good distoriton pedal and overdriver . I played a classic 30 with a boss ds-1 and i think it was a digitech bad monkey overdriver and i got some really good tone . i actually owned a peavey classic 50 head for a while and got some really nice tone out of it .

you may also if can check out the peavey valveking series . 350 for the 1x12 combo new , i am not sure if they have shipped out yet though.

these where suppose to have been used by yngwie

If your into the marshall jcm 800 thing . there was a company called redbear . The amps they made where basically a hot rodded jcm 800 wit point to point wiring . The company went under though so they are no longer made but they show up on **** from time to time cheap .

#7 ·
Hi,
I had the head version of that amp. It wasn't that spectacular IMO.
The gain sounded good when the volume was around two. But, when you would turn it to 4 or 5 the gain would break up and wasn't as smooth and got really harsh. The clean channel wasn't that great at all. It was rather weak and sterile. Just not that great of an amp really. I had a XXX as well. Better gain on the dirty channels only by a little. The clean was better but still, sterile and not very full. I've also had a Peavey Rockmaster preamp as well and the clean on that was the same way.
Just my $.02.

#8 ·
i basically just want something that is cheap and will get me through the day for practices. I have a Mesa Mark IV setup for shows.. it's in a big rack case, and i dont' feel like hauling that to practice. it doesn't have to be a perfect sounding amp.. just something that can do some ok high gain, ok rhythm chunks, and ok cleans. the key here really is price, cause i gotta get my mark iv rig finished up, and i want most of money for that, but i still need a practice combo. right now i'm using a swr acoustic amp with the horn disengaged and a boss me8. i don't wanna be using that once the drummer comes into the room, cuase it will not penetrate at all. now i know you guys have said what you don't like about this amp, but do you think that it would be an ok amp for a practice session, cause this is probably the cheapest 3 channel tube amp i can find that is pretty versatile that has actually pretty good Harmony-Central reviews. i like the idea of the valveking, but i'm unsure what they sound like. are they supposed to be a heavier amp, or something more like the classic 30??

#9 ·
here is what peavey says about it

"Peavey proudly introduces the ValveKing Series, a new, all-tube guitar amp line combining boutique features and hot-rodded tones with legendary Peavey reliability. ValveKing amps are available in a 100-watt head, a 100-watt 212 combo and a 50-watt 112 combo.
Peavey ValveKing amps feature a patent-pending, variable Class A/B control called Texture™, which allows sweepable selection between Class A and Class A/B power structures, as well as any combination of the two. With this feature, guitarists can coax virtually any tone from this tweaked-out amplifier. The amp's preamp and power sections use 12AX7 and 6L6GC tubes, respectively, and drive specially voiced 12" ValveKing loudspeakers (112 and 212 versions only).

Additional standard features include two footswitchable channels with independent, three-band EQ and volume, plus a footswitchable gain/volume boost on the lead channel to provide extra volume for solos. ValveKing amps also feature global resonance, presence and reverb controls, a buffered effects loop and dual speaker jacks in parallel (head and 212 only).

The ValveKing Series will be available in Q2 2005 from authorized Peavey dealers. "

so it sounds like it maybe thier attempt to be a marshall jcm or somthing simular .

Another amp that i left out that very nice is the carvin x-100b or x-60b . They have some really nice cleans and are freaking loud , if you go past 7 on them your talking about causing brain damage . They are really moldable as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.