Ibanez JEM Forum banner

How Much Is My Guitar Worth? (Fender 1980's Japanese Strat With Dimarzios/Kahler)

20K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Mars Volta 
#1 ·
First I'd just like to say that this is not a for sale advert or anything like that, I just have no idea how much my guitar is worth and I'd like to try and find out so that I don't ask too much or too little for it if I did happen to sell it.
Anyway, I got this guitar a bit over a year ago and its very nice but since then I've drifted more and more towards playing my 7 string and so I just don't play this anymore.
I'm in 2 bands, one where I absolutely need 7 strings and one where I need a nice 6 string with a humbucker in the bridge that is mainly in drop D but can be changed to E easily during a gig.
I love how this strat looks and I really do think its a very very nice guitar but with the bands I'm in I have no use for it because it has a Kahler floating trem and a single coil in the bridge.
I'd like to sell the guitar so that I can put the money towards some kind of fixed bridge Carvin but I have no idea how much to ask for this Fender and I'd be upset if it sold for hardly anything.
I've had people tell me that these 80's Japanese Fenders are some of the best strats that you can get and that in 20 years or more they could be worth quite a lot. I don't necessarily believe that but I don't want to sell it for less than its worth now.

Specs of the guitar are: Made in Japan in the 1980's
Gotoh tuners
Kahler Spyder Trem with locking nut
Maple neck
Maple fretboard
22 frets
Basswood body (?) with sunburst maple top
I changed the original pickups out to Dimarzio Area 61, HS-2 and HS-3 but still have the originals.
Wiring changed so that 2nd tone acts as a blend knob.
Schaller Straplocks.
Fender Hardcase

All modifications could be taken back to stock I assume.
There are some dings on the side of the body but they can't be seen when you're playing it because of where they're located, and there are some scratches on the back of the neck but I've never noticed these when playing the guitar.

If any body could give me an idea of what kind of figure I should look to be getting for this guitar then I would be very grateful as I don't want to under or over sell it.
I'm in the U.K so U.K prices would be most helpful. Prices in dollars probably wouldn't be very accurate for the market over here but I suppose that they would help to give me an idea.

See less See more
#8 ·
Ah that's a shame. I got it to play, not save trying to make money, but I'm not playing it at the moment.
I think I might put it in its case to free up a place on my guitar stand and bring it out again when the time is right.
When I got it I was in to the floating trems but since then I've had a change of heart and don't think it looks right being on a strat like that. What do you guys think?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.