Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is an LGN (#124) and a UVMC on evil bay going for auction at the moment. How much do you think this guitar will end up going for?

Im wondering because a guy offered me his Gibson Les Paul Premium Plus (the one with the flamed maple top) for one of my UVMC. His Les Paul seems to be in pretty good condition, but my UV is almost perfect (in fact its completely perfect aside from some chrome wear in the edge 7).

I rejected the deal initally but now Im not so sure.

I have several other guitars, so Im looking at the "bussines" side of it (im planning to trade one of this guitars for a NOS PGM10) anyway.

So there are 3 different questions:

How much do you think the LNG is going to sell for?
How much do you think the UVMC is going to sell for?
And what to you think about the trade Ive been offered?

·
Registered
52 Posts
i hate to be pedantic, or state the obvious, but the guitars for auction will sell for whatever the eventual buyer is willing to pay for them. a good place to go for market values would be either on this site, or just look over at rich harris' site and see what prices he's let them go for. you should probably take roughly hundred bucks or so for his prices, because the standard used guitar market doesn't include his ridiculously good setups and prep work, and there's no such thing as a free lunch!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, its seems like a japanese swirl but it looks pretty cool.

Im aware of Rich site. But he is a dealer so **** prices probably wont reflect what he charges for the same guitar. Im trying to compare what a Gibson Les Paul classic Premium Plus with a japanese swirl UVMC. There are several gibson Les Paul Classic premium Plus for sale (the price that they actually sell for range between 1200 and 1800). But its harder to find UVMCs for sale on ****, and some japanese swirls are not good at all, so since a feel my UVMC has a pretty decent swirl (comparable to the one on auction) I was wondering how much that guitar would bring in.

Of course, in a couple of days it will be over and Ill have my answer, but I wanted to know other peoples opinion.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
You want our opinion on something we're no more qualified than you to answer (i.e- how much a guitar is worth in the eyes of the guy who eventually buys it), that you'll have an actual answer for in a couple days anyway?

I'm confused. Is the guy auctioning these guitars a buddy of yours or something?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Drew said:
You want our opinion on something we're no more qualified than you to answer (i.e- how much a guitar is worth in the eyes of the guy who eventually buys it), that you'll have an actual answer for in a couple days anyway?

I'm confused. Is the guy auctioning these guitars a buddy of yours or something?
No, I dont know who these guys are.

I merely wanted to know what other people think. Not because they will have a better guess than me, just out of curiosity. Also I wanted other peoples opinion about the deal Ive been offered (The Gibson Les Paul Classic Premuim Plus for the UVMC).

·
Banned
916 Posts
If I were you I would not even consider trading a UVMC for a LP Classic. Classics are not exacly a top of the line LP, If you really want a Gibson just let the auction run out on the UV and them comb e b a y for a nice Paul like this 7335364269

·
Registered
104 Posts
I wouldn't do it! Nope! There are billions of Les Pauls out there, most of them very similar. Your MC represents one point in time. It's total unique. There won't be another one like it. Besides, from a value standpoint, that Les Paul will probably won't retain it's value as much as a guitar that was made in such limited production. Keep the MC! ( or trade it the me!) :)

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im not doing this in order to keep the Les Paul. Im doing it to trade it in for a NOS PGM10.

I will probably keep the MC in the end. Ill probably trade in something else. Since one of them is predominantly green and the other one predominantly yellow, they look very good one next to the other.

Thanks for all your feedback!

·
Registered
450 Posts
I would pay quite abit for a mint UVMC when I have the money for it. I think trading for the Les Paul would not be the best way to go. I'm just taking a guess but I think the UV is probably worth maybe a $1000 more than the Les Paul.

Les Paul Classic-$1500 or so I believe
Mint UVMC - $3000 that may be high but it wouldn't surprise me.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
RCB said:
So there are 3 different questions:

How much do you think the LNG is going to sell for?
How much do you think the UVMC is going to sell for?
And what to you think about the trade Ive been offered?
They'll both probably go for about 3 times what they are worth as a musician's instrument, and exactly what they are worth as commodities. I'd guess in the $2.5k - $3k range. By many accounts, these are not even as great playing as new models. But as they get older and more rare, their worth as collectibles supercedes their worth as instruments. They are more like vintage comic books than guitars in regards to their market price.

Given that you have no intention to keep the Les Paul, I'd do some very serious researching on different Gibson oriented forums to get a good feel of what this guitar is worth to fans of the brand. Personally, I'd give you about $10 for any Les Paul. But I'm not your target market. Find out what the average price for that model is and make sure that everyone is agreed on the condition of the instrument. The difference between a MINT guitar and a Very Good guitar can be significant dollars and cents.

I guess my advice for people buying and selling guitars only as an investment- do your homework for this transaction, and then consider a different market for future investments. There's a lot more intelligent choices for investment than guitars.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There are a lot of more profitable investments, and or at least more risk efficient portfolios. But they are not nearly as fun =) !!!!

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Yeah, but you're less likely to rub stock brokers the wrong way by investing in an equity portfolio than you are to piss off guitarists by buying guitars as collectables. ;)

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
the ax murderer said:
i hate to be pedantic, or state the obvious, but the guitars for auction will sell for whatever the eventual buyer is willing to pay for them.
That is very true, but if your item on **** is properly worded so it turns up when people search for it (and similiar items too, like Ibanez 7 String or even Ibanez 7!!!!!!) it should sell for about the same as any other. If you care to know what it should sell for, search completed listings for the same guitar in the same condition on ****.

My one piece of advice - if you trade for the Gibson, make sure the neck isn't majorly messed up and bowed real funny. With new ones, they come from the factory with almost no tension at the truss rod and a lot of bow in the neck, so to know if you have a good one you have to look at where the neck is bowing from and that is tough to do. This is a used one, so you wont have this problem as long as its been setup half decently. Just make sure the neck is straight and there are no buzzing frets.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Bill (Popsyche) is correct- the LP and the UVMC will probably both escalating in value. As an example, a Jimmy Page LP would be more valuable and appreciate in value more than the one you're looking at.

When I decieded it was time to go for a UVMC there weren't any available, but Jeremy of LGM Guitars was selling his famous pink UV to help pay for his new Harley at that time. I knew it was all custom and probably a good candidate for growing value so I grabbed it and am enjoying it while I look for a UVMC.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11/jdc1358/VSK1.jpg

Like baseball players, the pricetag for these guitars is whatever the market will bear.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts