Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Simple, just have some gas X on hand and pop a pill, once you feel the gas coming

The question you have to ask yourself is, are you more excited about the idea of owning a new guitar, or actually owning it? Is the idea of getting the guitar more exciting than actually having the guitar?

Eventually, you'll play with 1 or 2 guitars, 95% of the time, and the 5% you only play the other ones because feel guilty about owning expensive guitars and never playing them. You're actually happier thinking about getting those guitars but once you actually got them, you barely play with them.

Maybe owning those other ones, gives you more options, but do you really need them? Probably not

I only have two electric guitars and yet I only play with one like 95% of the time and when I'm about to grab it once again, I look at the other one and I feel guilty, I grab it and play, but since I prefer the other one. That's the problem. You'll always have a favorite one out of all of them that for whatever reason just feels and plays better, it just connects with you.

It can be hard to resist this desire for novelty, it is the chase and the feelings of excitement, the happiness of acquiring a beautiful guitar, but once you actually get it, that novelty eventually wears off and just becomes another of your many guitars that only get played once in a while, and are just there look good with the rest of them, as furniture basically, it looks good on the wall or your rack, but are you really playing it enough to justify that expense? or you just got it because it looks pretty next to the other ones?

I want to buy another guitar, mostly because it looks pretty, but then I realize, maybe I won't play it much once I get it, or maybe it becomes my favorite one and I leave the other two forgotten as I do with the current one now.

The problem is not wanting a lot of gear, but always wanting a lot of gear, the problem is if you're never satisfied

Being on forums like this, unfortunately, is terrible for GAS, you browse through forums and groups, especially youtube is terrible, lots of reviews of new guitars gear, etc you'll see people posting their new guitars, gear, etc. You get jelly and want what other people have.

You'll create a "need" for that guitar you want, picture yourself owning it, and eventually if you keep looking at it, browsing, you'll buy it despite that you don't really need it and this can be difficult to fight. Myself, I'm fighting this urge right now and can be difficult to stop this desire.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
The correct answer to the question “How many guitars do I need?” Can be found in this simple equation:

(Current number of guitars) + 1 = the number of guitars you need.
See, I really do need 30+ guitars. My wife thought so too. She got me a couple of guitars for Christmas while they were still available. She got me an Epi ES335 dot, and an Epi SG Special with P90’s. But, as for the +1, I want an Epi SG Custom, and a Gibson SG Modern as the +1 after that.

I will try to remember what all I have at present….

Kramer NightSwan
Kramer Vintage Pacer 2017
Kramer Vintage Pacer 2018
Kramer Baretta
Kramer Baretta Special
Kramer SM-1
Kramer Focus 211
RS Custom Brian May replica
Gibson LP Studio
Epi LP Junior
Epi ES335
Epi SG Special P90’s
Ibanez AZES 31 Vermillion
Ibanez AZES 31 Ivory
Ibanez AZES 40
Ibanez RG 7421
Ibanez RG 550
Ibanez S570AHM
Ibanez Premium Jem
Ibanez Jem Jr White
Ibanez Jem Jr SP
Ibanez Mikro Blue
Ibanez Mikro Burst
Music Man Stingray Bass
Luthier Built by hand Classical Guitar
Cheap Lucero Classical Guitar
Ovation Celebrity
Guild S 300D 1979
Fender Strat HT 1979
Fender Vintera 70’s Strat
Fender AmPro Strat 2018
Fender HM Strat 1989 Blue/maple
Fender HM Strat 2020 white
Squier mini Strat

6 or 7 of the above are going out as Christmas gifts or are going to be traded in.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
so you got the rg550 after all
Yes, I have one in DSY, but I also want a red one. I also want a Pink Jem Jr SP. these are just guitars that I can take out to a bar jam, without being scared it might get damaged. Really the only ones I won’t take out are the Brian May, Guild S300D, 79 strat, and premium Jem. The rest I would play in a bar.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Hey @Fowleri , how was your Turkey Day? We did TV dinners so nobody would have to do dishes. I also had a Whiskey-n-Coke that I nursed for a few hours. Had Cherry Pie for dessert. And I had a nice long nap with my dog. And got to spend some time with my wife and my mom.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey @Fowleri , how was your Turkey Day? We did TV dinners so nobody would have to do dishes. I also had a Whiskey-n-Coke that I nursed for a few hours. Had Cherry Pie for dessert. And I had a nice long nap with my dog. And got to spend some time with my wife and my mom.
All good. I usually don't celebrate thanksgiving, so I don't do anything special. I just go to see my parents, eat something, my life is very boring lol

·
Registered
567 Posts
I have the one in one out rule set at 4x electric, 2x acoustic and a bass.

That way if i want a new guitar i have to really think hard. What about it will give me something that is unique that i don't have already.

Currently:
Ibanez Jem.77FP (the clear no1. The keeper)
Ibanez PGM 100 (the unique, heavily modified stunt/shred machibe. Tonally very similar to the FP and the one I'm relaxed about taking to bar gigs)
Ibanez JS1000 BTB (the more radius'd neck comfortable for hendrix type thumb over the top chords etc)
Antoria 70s Les Paul lawsuit era copy (alt tunings, drop D chugging etc.. Everyone needs a Les Paul right?)

Acoustics:
Washburn single cut, solid top beaten up old thing. (Designated throw it in the car campfire guitar)
Yamaha LS500 (rare high end made in Japan acoustic. Everyone needs a good acoustic)

Bass
Fender USA Jazz bass (bitsa.. Lots of modification)..

So I'm currently thinking of either getting a real strat or switching a Jem505 or RG550 to three single coils.. It's a fun project idea and I don't have a 'true' single coil sound guitar. Fun project idea that's my current GAS issue.. But based on list above it would fill the niche the JS currently occupies so that'd have to be the one that goes to fund it...

·
Administrator
7,567 Posts
My wife is fantastic about my GAS. She effectively acts as my conscience and judging from my reaction to each guitar she'll push me into or away from buying it.

Pre-covid, I saw a guitar I'd been after for a while at a guitar show and I was very excited to see one available locally, she was the one saying I should buy it. If I'm looking at another RG on eBay or Reverb, she's the one asking whether I need another guitar that does exactly the same as the other one...

In short, I can't control my own GAS, I can't be let out in public on my own, I need constant supervision.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I have the one in one out rule set at 4x electric, 2x acoustic and a bass.

That way if i want a new guitar i have to really think hard. What about it will give me something that is unique that i don't have already.

Currently:
Ibanez Jem.77FP (the clear no1. The keeper)
Ibanez PGM 100 (the unique, heavily modified stunt/shred machibe. Tonally very similar to the FP and the one I'm relaxed about taking to bar gigs)
Ibanez JS1000 BTB (the more radius'd neck comfortable for hendrix type thumb over the top chords etc)
Antoria 70s Les Paul lawsuit era copy (alt tunings, drop D chugging etc.. Everyone needs a Les Paul right?)

Acoustics:
Washburn single cut, solid top beaten up old thing. (Designated throw it in the car campfire guitar)
Yamaha LS500 (rare high end made in Japan acoustic. Everyone needs a good acoustic)

Bass
Fender USA Jazz bass (bitsa.. Lots of modification)..

So I'm currently thinking of either getting a real strat or switching a Jem505 or RG550 to three single coils.. It's a fun project idea and I don't have a 'true' single coil sound guitar. Fun project idea that's my current GAS issue.. But based on list above it would fill the niche the JS currently occupies so that'd have to be the one that goes to fund it...
If you need an SSS check out an Ibanez AZES31. At 299.00, they are practically giving them away. I USED TO BE A 1 GUITAR KIND OF GUY. But that was the early 1980’s. I didn’t have money then. And even the price of a Fender USA strat was prohibitively expensive. Let alone a Gibson. I used to have expensive hobbies back then. Shooting competitively and motorcycles.

I have been having problems with my health since about 2017. I honestly don’t know how I’ve made it this far, except for Allah’s grace. I figure I better enjoy life today. I might not be here in the future. So if there’s a guitar I want, I’m going to get it now. I know I’ve kind of turned myself into a gear slut. But guitars playing, and guitar repairs are my only interests these days, that and napping, when I can actually manage to fall asleep. It’s funny, I used to be a health care provider, now I am the patient.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
My wife is fantastic about my GAS. She effectively acts as my conscience and judging from my reaction to each guitar she'll push me into or away from buying it.

Pre-covid, I saw a guitar I'd been after for a while at a guitar show and I was very excited to see one available locally, she was the one saying I should buy it. If I'm looking at another RG on eBay or Reverb, she's the one asking whether I need another guitar that does exactly the same as the other one...

In short, I can't control my own GAS, I can't be let out in public on my own, I need constant supervision.
‘I am lucky that I have a wife that doesn’t set the bar very high For me. She only asks that I don’t cheat, or abuse drugs or alcohol. That is what my wife had to deal with in her first marriage. That, and husband number one was a pedophile. Compared to that guy I am a saint as far as she’s concerned.

And she buys me guitars. And she let’s me buy myself guitars, and I let her buy jewelry for herself, and sometimes I bring home a few baubles from the jewelry store for her. My wife and I have known each other for decades. We don’t try to change each other. Oh and my wife wants to play bass, so now I get to shop for a bass for her, so I am looking forward to that.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm single, no kids and I own my apartment. Basically, I pay no rent, just maintenance. I have disposable income to spend, but I also have some debts I need to get rid of.

A decade ago, I used to be broke, so I know what is like not to have money, maybe that's why I only have 2 guitars. I still have my 2012 Peavy Vypyr amp, which is what I use to practice with. I'd like to have an axe FX, but those prices are super high. It seems kind of a waste to spend like 3k just to play in your bedroom all alone lol

I bought a Spark amp, but I didn't like it after a while and sold it on Reverb. I was never using it because it doesn't sound like a real amp and having to connect to bluetooth every time is annoying. My vypyr amp sounded more real than that Spark

I wouldn't mind owning a Jem but the prices prevent me, I'm cheap I guess lol if I buy a guitar it has to be new or barely used, only a couple of years old or something.

Its very risky to buy old guitars online where all you can see is a photo, lots of things could be wrong under the surface that may not be apparent or may not have happened yet, but it will happen after a few months or a couple of years after you buy them such needing a refret, a new bridge and other stuff

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I feel like a lot of people buy more guitars than actually spending more time practicing. I mean how many guitar can you really need? Its just collecting at one point, for the looks and the pleasure it brings you to look at them everyday

Unless you're pro or you run a studio, you don't really need more than 3 imo

·
Administrator
7,567 Posts
I feel like a lot of people buy more guitars than actually spending more time practicing. I mean how many guitar can you really need? Its just collecting at one point, for the looks and the pleasure it brings you to look at them everyday

Unless you're pro or you run a studio, you don't really need more than 3 imo
I know that I definitely buy guitars simply because I like guitars. That certainly is "collecting".

But I'm curious, how did you arrive at the magic number of "three" and what they are?

Some say it's four, a Tele, a Strat, a Les Paul and a 335. Others say a Tele is the only guitar you need because it does everything...

·
Registered
567 Posts
Electrics: I settled on 4 as the magic number:
RG/Jem type
Les Paul
Fender type

And a 2nd backup RG type as I use a Floyd. Never gig with a Floyd without a back-up. One broken string away from disaster...

If you're not a Floyd person then number 4 can be a semi hollow or extended range etc..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.