Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, It's me again, hope not to bother with my questions, I have an Ibanez Jem 7VWH with an original edge recently installed by a luthier and I would like to learn the secret on how to get a nice setup of that tremolo, I read the ibanezrules section about if a trem is stiff, maybe I'm understanding it wrong cause it says that If I want a softer trem bar action it says "The more closed a spring is, the more force it takes to get it open" Does "open" there means an stretched spring? Cause I'm trying this but not getting it less stiff with 3 springs
(I like to use the trem like Vai and It looks like his trem is really soft and watching pics of the back of evo it has 3 springs, Please If somebody can help me, maybe send me a PM or something :confused:

·
Registered
496 Posts
Honestly man, what you are looking when you see Vai play with the trem is not softness but years of experience with the floating trem, everything he plays he make it seem effortless and fluid.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly man, what you are looking when you see Vai play with the trem is not softness but years of experience with the floating trem, everything he plays he make it seem effortless and fluid.
Yep but then again I like to know how to do it, When my luthier did it last time I felt it really soft, but I want to learn how to do it myself, real help anyone?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that but I've already done this, then again,How can I achieve to have a softer trem action?is it the angle? the springs?height? My original edge is new btw, help anyone :/

·
Banned
983 Posts
Try using 2 springs, that will open them up and loosen up the works a little bit... it won't make you Steve though :D
won't that require driving those spring screws too deep and potentially either enlarge the thread or create fatigue in the soft basswood? So in case he wants to go back to 3 springs with shallower screw depth, the basswood won't be strong enough for adequate purchase of the screws?
Of course that won't be a problem if the OP just wants to do an experiment and keep it there, the problem will be when starting doing this repeatedly.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
won't that require driving those spring screws too deep and potentially either enlarge the thread or create fatigue in the soft basswood? So in case he wants to go back to 3 springs with shallower screw depth, the basswood won't be strong enough for adequate purchase of the screws?
Of course that won't be a problem if the OP just wants to do an experiment and keep it there, the problem will be when starting doing this repeatedly.
No, shouldn't be a problem at all. I do with 9's all the time

·
Banned
983 Posts
hmm ok..... screwing/unscrewing in maple (neck screws) *does* create a problem after some iterations. In basswood it can be only worse. Theoretically. But the OP is not there yet, by no means.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
hmm ok..... screwing/unscrewing in maple (neck screws) *does* create a problem after some iterations. In basswood it can be only worse. Theoretically. But the OP is not there yet, by no means.
lol... I didn't say he could do it 50 times :roll:

It won't hurt a thing if he does it once to see if the trem action feels better

·
Registered
733 Posts
If you want softer tremolo, small help is to put tremolo from neutral position in slightly raised position.
But if you want really softer tremolo you have use it. If you stretch springs regularly when you broke them in they will become softer. If you have soft springs and you do not use them they can become stiffer.

·
Banned
983 Posts
lol... I didn't say he could do it 50 times :roll:

It won't hurt a thing if he does it once to see if the trem action feels better
So back to your original idea, can you *PROVE* that the behavior of 2 more stressed springs VS 3 less stressed springs is such that it makes for a smoother trem action? Of course, we are talking about the exact same setup here, same plate angle, same string gauge, which means that at neutral position, the force exerted by the 2 more stressed springs will be exactly equal to the force exerted by the 3 less stressed springs.

Why should the 2 springs feel softer? I am not saying your idea does not work. I am asking for your explanation of how it works.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Rich already explained in the tutorial that was referenced earlier, an already open spring takes less effort to move than a closed spring.
It's a scientific fact, but if you won't believe me or Rich, try your own experiment...

·
Banned
983 Posts
Rich already explained in the tutorial that was referenced earlier, an already open spring takes less effort to move than a closed spring.
It's a scientific fact, but if you won't believe me or Rich, try your own experiment...
Makes sense. Cool tip.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes no doubt less springs will make it "easier" to move around, but you are right the tension and balance is the same at the zero point no matter how many springs. They must equal string tension. Once you start to move away from the zero float point, the feel changes depending on strings dimensions, age, number etc etc. Even different angles of springs to the claw will change it. Just experiment.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Yep but then again I like to know how to do it, When my luthier did it last time I felt it really soft, but I want to learn how to do it myself, real help anyone?
Well another option would be to ask your luthier what did he actually do to your trem.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts