Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

Ok, everybody knows that Steve Vai's got a sustainer in his guitars.
My question is, which pedal can offer such a sustain whithout alterate tha sound ? does anyone have an answer please ?

i got a boss ME-8, but the inside sustain in the compressor sounds really bad.

thanks.

manta :p

·
Registered
953 Posts
The sort answer is to get the sustain he does you need to install a sustainer, if you could use a pedal instead of carving holes in a guitar and installing new pickup and electronics, he'd have done it!
However Boss and a few other companies made a feedbacker pedal (I've got one on my pandora and gt-10). This works out the note you're playing and synthesizes a feedback note for you which sustains for a long time.
You may be able to get close just by turning your amp up and standing in the right place...
Jim

·
Banned
5,010 Posts
Besides when he's using that sustainer I don't think he has a great sustain.
When he plays FTLOG he always keeps making strong vibratos to keep strings vibrating.
If he didn't do that notes would have finished before the next bar.
Sometimes standing in the right position(like Bizarre said), he turns long notes into feedback.

·
Registered
63 Posts
the sustainer is the only way to get that kind of sustain ,,,, 2nd is from standing in the right place as been said .... the boss pedal can do it but you cant change the note ptch when the infanite sustaine is activated ... so no vibrato no whammy , the note will only change when the pedal is turned off then another note and activation of the pedal is turned back on ,,, so a bit of a chew on ..... so find the sweet spot near your amp and let the note be sustain into feedback or buy the fernandes kit .

·
Registered
34 Posts
Besides when he's using that sustainer I don't think he has a great sustain.
When he plays FTLOG he always keeps making strong vibratos to keep strings vibrating.
If he didn't do that notes would have finished before the next bar.
Sometimes standing in the right position(like Bizarre said), he turns long notes into feedback.
No way, have you used a sustainer? The note will sustain until the battery dies lol.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Ebow wil work, but really only for drawn out leads. It's pretty difficult to do anything advanced or fast with it. A good transparent compressor will give you more sustain, but it won't give that articulation of a real sustainer (can't play without picking).

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I think 6fingers is saying that his sustain isn't so great when NOT using the sustainer and that has to compensate by heavy vibrato and controlled feedback.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I get really good sustain if I put a tube screamer in front of the amp and put the level all the way up. Probably around 10s. You can make it sustain a lot by facing the guitar towards the amp and getting it real close... as Joe Satriani does to the monitors. He gets real close to the monitors and it just sustains like nothing.

·
Banned
5,010 Posts
as Joe Satriani does to the monitors. He gets real close to the monitors and it just sustains like nothing.
There's a big difference between sustain and feedback.Satch gets a lot of feedbacks of the same note he's playing,it's not sustain is feedback.
Sustain is the vibration of the strings and have nothing to do with pointing a guitar to a speaker.A good trem set up with new springs gives more sustain.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok, but if we admit that Steve use a ferandes sustainer. you mean guys that he get off the evo bridge pickup and put the fernandes one ?

I've got a js100, and i would like to change the pickups to get th Vai sustainer sound, ok ? so what are Steve configuration pickups on his FLO and EVO guitar ? does anybody knows ? and so, where is the sustainer pickups ? thanks

manta

·
Registered
953 Posts
The sustainer pickup replaces the neck pickup usually (at least Steve's does) and you keep everything else the same. You add an extra circuit powered by batteries that allows the sustainer to work.
The kit costs a couple of hundred dollars I think and fitting is quite involved and best left to someone with wiring/installation experience.
Jim

1 - 20 of 25 Posts