Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
What type of guitar are you installing this in? i am assuimng this is for some Bucket style licks???

If you know how to solder, it is a pretty basic installation.

Buy this

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...8&kwCatId=2032058&kw=switch&parentPage=search

You will want to install it between the hot lead to your output jack and whatever the lead is attached to. Depending on your guitar setup, this could be from the switch or the volume pot.

Email me if you need a better description - it really isn;t hard -

zzh AT verizon DOT net

·
Registered
663 Posts
Do *not* wire the switch to break the hot lead.

Wire it so that it establishes a direct connection between
hot and ground when activated; e.g.

[jack hot]----[switch]----[jack ground]
or
[center lug of the volume pot]----[switch]----[back of volume pot]

Any standard on/off switch will do that job just fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Do *not* wire the switch to break the hot lead

Why not -

I have several switches all wired that way and they have all been working perfectly for several years. What is the potential downside?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
you could use one of these, I did and it works great http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electro..._Switches_and_knobs/Mini_Toggle_Switches.html i used just the on/on one but wired it so it was an on/off

the bottom has 6 prongs , 3 on each side, if you want to use it as a kill switch you only need to use one side. It's easy, just unsolder whereever your output wire goes (not the ground) and solder it to one of the 3 prongs on one side(test the order to get the on and off in the positions you want, i.e. up=on, down=off or vice versa) then solder another wire to the prong right next to it and then solder it to where your output wire originally was, then the last prong you'll want use as your ground so you don't get any annoying buzz or electricuted. sorry if this is confusing, but i just did this mod and thought I'd share, good luck!

·
Registered
817 Posts
brothersnowgone said:
you could use one of these, I did and it works great http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electro..._Switches_and_knobs/Mini_Toggle_Switches.html i used just the on/on one but wired it so it was an on/off

the bottom has 6 prongs , 3 on each side, if you want to use it as a kill switch you only need to use one side. It's easy, just unsolder whereever your output wire goes (not the ground) and solder it to one of the 3 prongs on one side(test the order to get the on and off in the positions you want, i.e. up=on, down=off or vice versa) then solder another wire to the prong right next to it and then solder it to where your output wire originally was, then the last prong you'll want use as your ground so you don't get any annoying buzz or electricuted. sorry if this is confusing, but i just did this mod and thought I'd share, good luck!
I have that switch, but I don't know how to wire, cause when I did, I turned the switch off and made a loud static sound, so I just disconnected it...help?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Qstick said:
Do *not* wire the switch to break the hot lead

Why not -

I have several switches all wired that way and they have all been working perfectly for several years. What is the potential downside?
The switch in my wiring does essentially the same thing as turning the volume all way down. Yours acts more like pulling the cable out of the jack (which is always a bad idea), if I understood you correctly.
I have to admit I havent even tried your version because of those thoughts, and I'm rather surprised to hear that your version works perfectly too. Do you get any unwanted noises when using the switch?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
What you need to do is to wire the switch so that it disconnects the hot lead from the output jack and connects the hot (center)lead of the output jack to ground. Grounding the hot lead from the pickups just shorts out the pickups, which doesn't serve much purpose. Disconnecting the hot lead from the output jack removes the signal from the jack, but unless you ground it, it can still pick up noise. Of course, you are still probably going to get some pops and such when inserting or removing the cable (if that's what you are doing) unless you have some volume/mute device in line somewhere.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.