Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm little tired of carrying additional power lead for FCB and I heard that this can be easily powered via MIDI coming from triaxis.

From my very little knowledge about electronics I've managed to dug out that FCB needs 10V DC, 120mA while triaxis sends 12V DV, 500mA.

So it looks like I can easily do this in terms of supplied/required power.

Now the thing is that I don't want to touch triaxis's inside at all.

Triaxis has 7pin MIDI input and FCB has 5pin MIDI output.

What I was thinking is that I will have to check on wich pins triaxis is giving the voltage, and on which pins FCB will recieve it by checking its inside (then jump these pins with FCB board) .

I have soldering iron and multimeter at home.

How can I check on which pins triaxis sends?

Also the best thing for me would be if someone could tell me step by step how to make this mod :)

Cheers!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re up:

Thanks for the link.

Ok so it looks like triaxis sends 12VDC 500mA on pins 1 and 7 and FCB will receive on 1 and 5.

Think that it looks easy enough to do it, just need to look for a switch now ;)

Since this is DC not AC, is there any difference what will be the polarization or it doesnt matter where + and - go?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Re up:

Thanks for the link.

Ok so it looks like triaxis sends 12VDC 500mA on pins 1 and 7 and FCB will receive on 1 and 5.

Think that it looks easy enough to do it, just need to look for a switch now ;)

Since this is DC not AC, is there any difference what will be the polarization or it doesnt matter where + and - go?
One thing buddy....I made this mod some time ago when I had an FCB1010 & If I remember correctly the FCB1010 requires AC not DC.
The link also states that. If you use DC you may damage the unit.

When I did mine I used an old 9V AC Alesis Power supply to make up the harness.
If you decide to go that route & you need a power supply this should do the job: (Do a fleabay search for item number: 250254188440)
It's a 1 amp unit....I can't remember the current draw spec of the FCB but I doubt it draws more than that.
If you need it he also stocks a 2 amp unit for a bit more cash.
The Alesis unit I used is 2 Amps & that worked fine when I had it.

I have bought several power supplies of various different voltages for my pedals from this guy & they all work fine, plus the price is a bargain.
Or alternatively Maplin keep them but they are more expensive.

Good Luck.

As an aside I don't know if you went as far as changing the firmware Eprom in your unit but there is quite a good PC editor for the FCB 1010 available.
Saves a lot of tap dancing when programming, but you need a midi interface.
Also allows you to back up your configuration and also program save & reload differnet configurations for various setups you may use.
Here's the link in case you are interested.

http://www.mtnsys.com/faq-fcb/PCEditorBeta.htm

1 - 4 of 4 Posts