Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How to protect from high %RH?

Hello people. Where I live the average humidty is 70%, but it usually is above 95%, especially during June/July (winter months down here).

I've read separate thoughts about how I should keep my guitar. Some told me to keep it always in the case when I'm not playing it, and others told me to always keep it outside because the retention of moisture inside the case would be worse.

What should I do? Should I get a dehumidifier for my whole room? Or maybe some salica bags for the case? Or what? Thanks :)

·
Registered
941 Posts
I'd suggest keeping your guitars in a room that you can keep closed and run a dehumidifier in there.
Pretty much this. If you have sustained periods of 90% humidity indoors, then you do need to actively try to reduce humidity and dry out the air.

What is the room temperature like there? I ask because your method of attack will change depending on a picture of the climate as a whole.

So give us all the info you can, temp, RH, central heat and air, geographical are and climate type?

After you supply that data I'll give you a good game plan.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pretty much this. If you have sustained periods of 90% humidity indoors, then you do need to actively try to reduce humidity and dry out the air.

What is the room temperature like there? I ask because your method of attack will change depending on a picture of the climate as a whole.

So give us all the info you can, temp, RH, central heat and air, geographical are and climate type?

After you supply that data I'll give you a good game plan.
(I use ºC, I dont know how much it is in ºF, but I think 0,3 ºC = 1ºF give or take)

I assume that room temperature is around 20º. During the winter, I rarely or never turn the heat on in my room. During the summer the AC is always on when I'm in the room.

The 90% humidity is outside. That's what the TV guys say. I dont know how much of that goes into my room, I dont have an hygrometer (I'll buy one).

The everage humidity outside is 65% during the summer and 80/90% during the winter (July-Sept).

The average temperature is 20º during the summer with peaks of 40º during the day some days, and the average temperature during the winter is 5º, but it can go as far as 0º and on rare occasions -3º but that's the min it'll go.

I dont have a room that I could use just to store my guitars.. but I do have a closet behind the stairs which is away from any heat source. It's cold and dark the whole year as we rarely use it. Would that be a good place to store the case when I dont use it? It'd be really annoying to keep it in there.. but if it helps..

Does that help? :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts