Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...I routed my guitar and installed the ESP arming adjuster but I can't remember how to set it up. I though I would remember since a had a friend who had a Ibanez Backstop years ago and he showed me. Hell that was 6 years ago. and He passed away 4 years ago. So how do you set it up? the instructions come in japanese so I have not a clue.

Thanks for any help...

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I actually had a hell of a time figuring out how to properly setup the ESP Arming adjuster. There's essentially three things that you can play with. The bolt itself(the part that makes contact with the trem) can actually be screwed in and out to shorten or lenthen the entire thing if needed. The spring in the midden adjusts the amount of tension you want against the trem, it can set set so stiff that it's practically fixed(that's how I have it setup on my edge equipped USA Custom that I added an EVH D-Tuna to). The adjustable screw at the end also shortens and lengthens the whole thing. The length of the whole thing determines how much back pull you get as the bolt has a shorter distance to travel before it fully compresses the springs.

But to tell you the truth, I just kept f**king with it until I liked the way it feels. I actually setup most of mine by figuring out where the trem block need to be so the trem sits properly and then I install the arming adjuster so that the furthest it will push is about where the trem block will be. (and adjusting the bolt itself to fine tune it). I normally use either 3 springs and the block lock(one one an angle and two straight) or 4 springs if I want to turn my trem to something that's more or less a fix tail.
(I've also setup one of my J-Customs to use 2 springs and it had a great feeling trem, but I usually use 9-46 or 10-52 gauge strings so I needed the extra spring on the bass side).

The trick is to get the trem and springs setup with the spring on the arming adjuster completely loose and then tighten the spring on the arming adjuster once you've gotten your trem the way you like it. My first couple of attempts at setting it up without instructions(this was before I realized Rich still had the manual for the Ibanez backstop on his site), my trems were setup but the trem action was stiff because I tightend the bolt on the arming adjuster first and went against it with the springs. (Then I figured it was better the other way around...).

Once you get it properly installed, I'm pretty sure you'll like it. I never regret selling the Ibanez backstop that I had ever since I discovered this thing. You'll actually hear a difference acoustically once it's installed (it's acoustically louder and you get more sustain!).

Hope I didn't confuse the $#!t outta you(my brains been pretty fried after watching 5 hours of Gilbert, Satch, Vai & Zakk guitar clinic videos that I just acquired). If you got problems feel free to PM me. Enjoy your Arming Adjuster!! (I swear by mine and got a bunch more on order for the rest of my guitars)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Can I ask how much routing is required? I've found it difficult to find this detail for the installation of the Arming Adjuster, and to be honest I'm somewhat loathe to route my Prestiges :(
However, I realise it's POSSIBLE to use them without routing.
I'm hoping to buy 4 of them in the near future, and install them with the imminent Tremol-No. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
You can install the Arming Adjuster without the need to route your guitars. You just need to install it further out and also screw in the bolt more. Personally I went and routed my USA Custom and my J-Customs that I installed them in.

Your mileage may vary by using it without routing. It can be done on some Ibanez models and I was trying to avoid routing my guitars, but figured I might as well do it right.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello and thank you for all your help. I installed my esp arming adjuster and it truly does get your bending back! One question. Does it make your strings feel stiffer? I am using 9s and they seem abit harder to me. I had setup the floyd level to body, then installed the espAA. Then adjusted spring on ESPAA. then tightened the trem springs. Did I do this wrong? Everything is level just seems tight.

·
Registered
2 Posts
ESP Arming Adjuster.
I installed my esp arming adjuster and it truly does get your bending back! One question. Does it make your strings feel stiffer? I am using 9s and they seem abit harder to me. I had setup the floyd level to body, then installed the espAA. Then adjusted spring on ESPAA. then tightened the trem springs. Did I do this wrong? Everything is level just seems tight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.