Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, got the goldo backbox but the instructions are in German. Just wanna make sure that there's no tricks to installation or is it a case of just screwing it in and tightening etc to preference?
Regards
Jon

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
(P.S, by 'screwing it in' i mean dubbing it fairly well/maybe drilling if necessary, and then screwing in cautiously, and tightening to the pretensed spring in the unit :p)
Thanks
Regards
Jon

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jim, you rock! I couldn't find anything like this when I searched, strange. This guide is perfect :D! Many thanks!
Regards
Jon

·
Registered
36 Posts
This is an old thread, but I didn't feel like starting a new one. I've been installing/adjusting this unit for a few times and I wanted to share my experiences and how I perceive the functioning of the Göldo Back Box. If there are mistakes here feel free to correct me.

First of all this is a good unit if you don't mind loosing loosing the ability to flutter (or at least loosing some of it).

There are two big advantages to this unit.

First is the fact that you no longer have to "care" about the exact position of your tremolo tightening screws. Setting up the guitar and changing string gauges will be much simpler than before. The reason is that the screw on the back of your backbox is the screw which now controls the rest position/angle of your tremolo. Adjust this screw so that your knife edges are in the correct angle and do not care about anything else. All you have to do is make sure that the backbox spring tightening screw is always tight enough so that in the rest position of the tremolo the backbox shaft has not moved (when you tune the strings to your preferred tuning).

After this you can tighten the tremolo screws pretty much as much as you like. The more you tighten them the less the tremolo will move when you bend the strings and that is the other big advantage right there. Bends just "feel" better (at least to me) when the tremolo is more stable. Always just make sure that the backbox spring tightening screw is tight enough so that the shaft has not moved in the rest position of the tremolo.

Hope this makes some sense and is useful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts