Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I just got me a 2003 S470 and it has the ZR Tremolo. Now, I'm completely new to the whole locking tremolo and I've never really worked on a guitar before. But I did some research and some forum posting and found out that the arm holder is loose. Now, I hear that it's possible to tighten it by adjusting the angle of the trem and using a skinny wrench. But I also hear that the whole tremolo system might need to come out to tighten it (and adds some ThreadLock as well). I've seen some guides to remove a trem system with 3 springs, but the ZR Trem has 4 springs and I have no idea how to go about removing it. So if anybody could tell me how to remove it or post a link or something, that would be great. Also, the guitar didn't come with a tremolo arm. Now I know I can buy one off Rich at IbanezRules, but do I need the ZR Bar (#2ZR21N) or do I need the ZR Bar 1.1 (#2TRXBA001)? Because I'm pretty sure I need a screw in bar and that would be the ZR, NOT the 1.1.
Any help at all would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
242 Posts
Buy the ZR bar.

The outer springs are connected to the stop bar, just pull the barout and the springs with. I never put mine back in, cause it's a much better feel without it AND it's much MUCH better for your trem arm to leave it out, adds to much countertension and this is why they come loose and break mainly)

Remove the other two springs by lower the spring tension with the hex wrench hole in the back (may want to loosen the strings a bit), once they're loose enough pull then off the guitar.

Now remove your strings (if not done already) and ur trem should be free to flop around now. Remove the nuts ontop of the trem posts.

The trem should slide right off now, now you can turn it over and tighten up that nut on the bottom easily. Watch out for there's a few parts that are loose on the trem (The ball bearing pivot joints + string holder blocks).

To put it back on, just do the reverse. If you liked how your guitar's action was set up make sure THE TREM POSTS DON'T MOVE, cause they're actually rather easy to accidentally move around without the trem attached to them.

It's actually rather simple and not very hard at all, I took mine all apart without any instruction or any prior work with floyd-rose guitars at all and I had no drama's.

Hope this helps you out, Toodles, Julz!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Julz, you have no idea how much this helps! The only thing I'm wondeong about is the trem posts. They're those b and d shaped things on either side right? Don't you loosen the nut to adjust the action? So if I loosen the nut, won't I be changing the action anyways?

·
Registered
242 Posts
the b and d shaped things are the ball bearing pivots. The posts are the poles that go through them that connect them to the guitar.

The ball-bearing pivots will fall off the trem once you pull it off, so be careful with that.

The nut (near the headstock) only locks the strings in place, to increase tuning stability. You stick an allen wrench in the trem posts and turn them to adjust the action (MAKE SURE THE STRINGS ARE LOOSE! People have broken them by forcing them to turn when there's pressure on them.) These are the posts that seem to move pretty easily when there's no trem sitting on top of them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright thanks. I'll probably tighten the holder when I change out the strings sometime next week. And also, can you literally just pull the stopbar out? Or do you have to like unscrew something? Much appreciated.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Just pull it out, It's only resting against your trem block and the springs and just looped around some poles. Comes out real easily. This was the first thing i did with mine and I never went back. It's supposed to be there to increase tuning stability, but it's so stable without it. But apparently i keeps intune when you snap a string, but if i snap a string, the songs over anyway, so doesn't matter.

Toodles!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Haha. I just got the bar in from Rich, and I'm kinda confused as to how to use the bar, as it is a screw in bar. I believe I have everything (the metal nut thing, and the little plastic bushing, and of course, the bar). Just how do I screw it in and screw on the nut? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
242 Posts
You gotta loosen the twisty bit, screw in the bar until you have the height you want. then tighten the twisty bit as far as you can.

The concave part of the twist cap, squeezes the bush, which squeezes the bar, which hopefully keeps it at a usable tension.

Toodles!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts