Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys !

I took a look at the setup of the best guitars players ... all of them use a distorsion box (Boss DS-1 or SD-1, Ibanez TS9, etc.)

Here is my question: how to use them ?

If I play with a Marshall, Peavey, Carvin head ... why I need to use a distorsion box ? Can't I use the cruch / lead channel of the amp ?

I need to use that distorsion boxes with the clean channel ???

Help me to understand, even with your experiences ...

Thanks !

·
Registered
281 Posts
Well the sound of those are diffrent, crunch or alot of gain isnt really the same distortion. To use a distortion box you will have to put a cable to it and out. So for example like this:
------ = Cable

Guitar ------------ Distortion ----------- Amp

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok ... that's clear ...

but in your opinion, when Vai or Satriani make a solo, they engage the distorsion box in the clean channel of the amp, or switch to the lead channel of the amp ?

·
Registered
542 Posts
i think they engage a distorsion box or wat ever to give them more gain....

when soloing, they may use it to give a thicker tone ....

·
Registered
542 Posts
it can be....it depends how much output volume you hav ...the more O/P volume the more gain your sound is...distortion in front of a already distorted amp can work really well, just depends on how much distortion the box is putting out...

E.g. i hav a Jcm 800 2203 head reissue and a 1960 A cab...my pedal board is Ds-1 into a SD-1 into Delay into a TU-2 ( plus lots of other bits and piece's but they hav nothing to do with gain)....and then a volume booster running through the fx loop for soloing..

i use my Ds-1 for giving the amp more gain...or a more thicker sound ..it sounds like a mesa rec with the gain knob just about on full....i use the Sd-1 to give more of a cutty tone i do this by putting the volume on full and keeping the drive right down...this sounds like one of my old fender's with the drive channel on..i use the volume booster to bring my over all volume up and then if i want more gain or wat ever i use a pedal as well... thats how i do it..i never use a distortion type pedal over a clean channel...

·
Registered
496 Posts
Yeah,

Using a DS-1 to really drive a crunchy sound is the way that Vai/Satriani use them... They tend to use the pedals as more of a sensitivity/gain control though, as opposed to actual distortion.

Mind you, I've been getting some excellent results using my DS-1 into the clean channel of my Marshall 6100, especially when its running on Tri-ode mode. Sounds really thick and warm for a great Clapton/Gary Moore/SRV stinging lead tone. In fact, I use this setting very often when *recording* leads/solos/harmonies whatever.

In a live situation though, I mainly use the DS-1 to drive a really hot poweramp with moderate crunch settings on the Crunch channel.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Use the pedal to reach the gain that your amp isnt really reaching up to, and then stay there, just like a juicer or a booster man! :D

·
Registered
237 Posts
Shep said:
it can be....it depends how much output volume you hav ...the more O/P volume the more gain your sound is...distortion in front of a already distorted amp can work really well, just depends on how much distortion the box is putting out...

E.g. i hav a Jcm 800 2203 head reissue and a 1960 A cab...my pedal board is Ds-1 into a SD-1 into Delay into a TU-2 ( plus lots of other bits and piece's but they hav nothing to do with gain)....and then a volume booster running through the fx loop for soloing..

i use my Ds-1 for giving the amp more gain...or a more thicker sound ..it sounds like a mesa rec with the gain knob just about on full....i use the Sd-1 to give more of a cutty tone i do this by putting the volume on full and keeping the drive right down...this sounds like one of my old fender's with the drive channel on..i use the volume booster to bring my over all volume up and then if i want more gain or wat ever i use a pedal as well... thats how i do it..i never use a distortion type pedal over a clean channel...
That is an excellent description of how to use stomp boxes with an amp.

What is it you use for your solo boost which you hook up through the fx loop?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
i have a question too, whnever i use my DS-1 over a crunch channel i get this very strong noise, and whenever i use it over a clean channel i get no noise. When i play a solo over the crunch channel and DS-1 it sounds better thatn the clean channel, but the noise is still there. Is it my amp (Marshall MG15-CDR) or is it the pedal?

·
Registered
2 Posts
What I like to do generally is run the amp slightly overdriven and use
different pedals to get the OD flavor that I want. In effect it makes a
single channel amp into a multi, if you know what I mean.............

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
carlos grijalva said:
i have a question too, whnever i use my DS-1 over a crunch channel i get this very strong noise, and whenever i use it over a clean channel i get no noise. When i play a solo over the crunch channel and DS-1 it sounds better thatn the clean channel, but the noise is still there. Is it my amp (Marshall MG15-CDR) or is it the pedal?
it's both - the pedal and the amp running together.
with a dist pedal running in the gain channel you are overdriving the channel before the pre amp and doubling it with the amps distortion (gain) so the noise is too much gain and uncontrollable feedback.
i like a good clean channel and a dist pedal (Tone Bone Hot British) for my rhythm and boost it with the pre amp from a Tech 21 Tri OD - acts a lot like a TS9 when you use it with a DS1 - smoothes and boosts the mids.
if you use the gain from the amp you'll need to run your "non-gain" pedals (chorus, delay, phaser, ect) in the FX loop. NEVER run a gain device in your FX loop.
hope that helps.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I use a SD-1 with the Level all the way up, Gain off and Tone half way. This gives the distortion a much tighter and more defined sound. Really makes a difference if you think your sound is a bit too bassy. Alot of players like Shadows Fall and KSE use a distortion pedal like this and this is a big part of that tone.

Using a heavily distorted sound and then adding a distortion pedal with more gain will give a really cheap and bad sound. Having a crunch sound and adding a bit of distortion from the pedal will give you more of a sound like Vai and Satriani.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts