Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Im trying to decide between the little brother, HT1 and the big brother HT5 amps from blackstar, I have sold alot of things to be able to get this, I play heavy metal, the more gain the better, I love playing Zakk's stuff, pantera, metallica you name it, but also like learning blues, jazz and cleans aswell...
Should I wait, and get the HT5 in 3 months, or get the HT1 now?
Its my bday in 3 months, I have my guitar to my dad, and have sold numerous things on the internet to be able to afford, and I dont want to go with second best like I usually do.
how about this.
HT1(r) maybe
with the Zakk wylde distortion. and maybe enough to get a good strap.
OR
HT5 (no reverb) and thats it?
I heard the HT5 has a 3 band EQ which means better tweaking ect, what do you think??

Thanks alot!:lol:

·
Registered
9,339 Posts
Wait until you can get a HT-5. It got the EQ as mentioned, an its got an effects loop which is very handy.

The HT-1 is awesome for what it is, but wont be as versatile.

Both have plenty of gain on tap though.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
for what? noodling around at home ? I take the HT1 because of the reverb and the MP3 input .

For playing with people ? The HT 20

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hmm If your needing a clean channel then I dontthink either amp is suitbale especially not the HT-1...

bear in mind the HT-5 isnt exactly quiet for bedroom use, I found it great fro practising witha drummer but not loud enough for a small gig and too loud for home, I kept my 100 watt VK212 go figure...

Im not sure if the HT-5 will be saturated enough for your tastes either, it might be with an od, I have heard nothing but bad of the wyld od in regards to unwanted noise compared to the mxr GT-od and others..

I highly reccomend you try and test out a few other amps too and also consider looking for bigger amps used, the HT-5 does mid gain and older metal fairly well but it didnt cut modern metal tones for me even when pushed, you could put different tubes in there to get more gain but you would loose the clean channel...

You should also consider the orange tiny terrors, and maybe a slightly louder 50 watt combo would be better suited for clean playing..

I'd also advise to save up for as long as possible ad buy th best gear you can whenever i've got soemhting because it was cheaper and could get it much faster i've always been unhappy and sold it on RG-350mdx was an impulse buy of mine anda complete waste of time money same goes for the pod X3...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm If your needing a clean channel then I dontthink either amp is suitbale especially not the HT-1...

bear in mind the HT-5 isnt exactly quiet for bedroom use, I found it great fro practising witha drummer but not loud enough for a small gig and too loud for home, I kept my 100 watt VK212 go figure...

Im not sure if the HT-5 will be saturated enough for your tastes either, it might be with an od, I have heard nothing but bad of the wyld od in regards to unwanted noise compared to the mxr GT-od and others..

I highly reccomend you try and test out a few other amps too and also consider looking for bigger amps used, the HT-5 does mid gain and older metal fairly well but it didnt cut modern metal tones for me even when pushed, you could put different tubes in there to get more gain but you would loose the clean channel...

You should also consider the orange tiny terrors, and maybe a slightly louder 50 watt combo would be better suited for clean playing..

I'd also advise to save up for as long as possible ad buy th best gear you can whenever i've got soemhting because it was cheaper and could get it much faster i've always been unhappy and sold it on RG-350mdx was an impulse buy of mine anda complete waste of time money same goes for the pod X3...
Thanks alot :) and yeah I know what you mean about the wanting it now thing, i am very impatient :p, I am leaning towards the HT1 becuase its for home use, I dont want anything too loud.
The terrors are out of my price range unfortunately, I would also have to buy a cab which is another £150 for a decent one on top of about £250 for the head. Im not toooo bothered about clean as long as it sounds DECENT haha, I love bluesy stuff, as long as it has that, Im not too bothered.
Also, I have been using a £29 amp noe for the past year, and a £10 one before that, Im no expert on "tones"! I just need something that sounds good with alot of gain! :p

Thanks for everything;)

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
If it's just for home use, I'd probably go with the ht-1. There's no need for the bells and whistles of the ht-5 if you're just using it in your bedroom at home. It'll still be plenty loud at home, and you should be fine for cleans (with maybe a little grit) depending on your definition of "home volume." If you think you're going to use it for anything more than bedroom jamming, I'd save up and get the 5 (or the 20 for that matter).
If acceptable volume is a major point of consideration, I might look at something besides a tube amp for strictly home use. Even 1 watt through an 8" speaker can get pretty loud. I don't see much reason paying for tubes if you can't turn it up past 1 and only ever use it for jamming and practice.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it's just for home use, I'd probably go with the ht-1. There's no need for the bells and whistles of the ht-5 if you're just using it in your bedroom at home. It'll still be plenty loud at home, and you should be fine for cleans (with maybe a little grit) depending on your definition of "home volume." If you think you're going to use it for anything more than bedroom jamming, I'd save up and get the 5 (or the 20 for that matter).
If acceptable volume is a major point of consideration, I might look at something besides a tube amp for strictly home use. Even 1 watt through an 8" speaker can get pretty loud. I don't see much reason paying for tubes if you can't turn it up past 1 and only ever use it for jamming and practice.
thanks alot, my current 20w amp I can turn up to about 10 o clock usually, Ive never had a tube before, I just need a decent upgrade that will last 6 months or so :) are tubes lauder than digital?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.