Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This summer I have not been very frugal. This is all crashing down on me now. I usually track how much money I have in my checking account online. I had gotten all my bills paid for the month of July, and I was starting August out with $32 in the bank. I thought this was great because I have a bunch of money coming in this month, a new outlook on saving and being frugal, and at least I had $32 to start with. The next day I log into my online banking and see that I'm $100 in the red! It seems a ton of charges that I thought had been applied earlier all showed up on the same day. The charges themselves were luckily very small, but I made 5 overdrawn charges, and each one cost me $15.

Actually, I just logged into my bank account, and the first wave of payments for my PowerBook I sold just arrived from my PayPal account. So at least I am now back in the black, but all this PowerBook money has to go towards paying off the PowerBook that's on my parents' credit card. So here is my current financial situation:

Monthly Bills
Car payment -- $200
Cell phone -- $40

Approximate amount I pull in monthly (conservative approximate)
$450

I'll have about $500 on my laptop I'll still need to pay off, and I need to get that paid by November. Since I have additional monthly bills above the $240 mentioned above (gas for my car mainly), I think I am going to try to pick up another job to get some more cash coming my way.

I also started dating this girl recently, and she costs a lot of money. A lot.

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
sorry to hear but hopefully you will learn to take the advice of others (and your elders) and be less impulsive with (frivilous) purchases. the powerbook was a foolish purchase as discussed here, but it's early and the mistakes can be 10x greater later on in life. That is the good news. Buckle down, pay this off and learn from your mi$takes. good luck... glen

PS - don't let a chick be a money magnet.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Everyone makes mistakes once in a while (monetery or otherwise). And the way you should look at it is, the money will go back in your account eventually. Even if it takes longer than you think. And have you noticed that things go wrong (e.g. car needs repairs, other bills) when you have no money! Its never happens when you have enough to pay for it does it.

And as for the chick thing......as Glen said really.

Obviously you might not want to go into details, but, how is she costing you money? Is it when you go out somewhere together you pay for the both of you? Or is it because you buy her gifts and suprises occasionally?

I dont know but, it might be an idea just to mention to her that your slightly hard-up at the moment. And until you get some more funds, things might be a little tight. She will probably be quite understanding.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
the.godfather said:
And have you noticed that things go wrong (e.g. car needs repairs, other bills) when you have no money! Its never happens when you have enough to pay for it does it..
Why yes......yes I have noticed that...Murphy's Law never fails!

the.godfather said:
She will probably be quite understanding.
Ya think?? :)

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
There's still time to mow a few yards in the neighborhood, etc... That pays pretty good these days. At least you are learning these lessons early, mortgage companies are considerably less understanding about late payments than parents, most of the time.

Keep it reasonable with the girl, you're not going to be able to spend $0 for the next few months, neither of you will enjoy it. Part of budgeting is being realistic, take in a movie occasionally, don't splurge on expensive dinners, no gifts (except for a birthday, no 3 month anniversary type junk), and do some free stuff like walks, hanging out at parks etc... If she's not understanding, she's not worth your time in the first place (betcha never heard that before huh?).

Good luck,
Roger

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Jeff said:
I also started dating this girl recently, and she costs a lot of money. A lot.
then she's obviously not the right girl for you.

the right girl doesn't cost you money - she MAKES you money.

·
Registered
405 Posts
tell your girl you are a struggling musician it's in a womans nature to want to help a man financially or I can think of a few other ways

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
gunkungfu said:
tell your girl you are a struggling musician it's in a womans nature to want to help a man financially or I can think of a few other ways
As long as you are young, which I assume you are since you live at home and owe your parents money. Once you hit your early 20s and are in the same situation, they will just think you are a loser:eek:

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
JJEMMER777 said:
Why yes......yes I have noticed that...Murphy's Law never fails!
No it doesn't. Two weeks from ordering my Jem and guess what? My amp starts giving trouble. So I'll have to work longer than I expected, cause I gotta buy a new amp, and I'm not going to give up the Jem before I even get it. Amp suggestions? I don't mind saving

So in short, I'm poor too.

Money sucks.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
See Tom...Murphy's Law NEVER FAILS.....it hit you too...sorry to hear that...that's sucks:( If it's any consolation.....my Marshall blew up too

FECK!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Hm.... That is consolation in some wierd way. Sorry though. Mine was a Peavey Classic.

So amp suggestions? I don't mind saving, and I want this to last ma a while. So I'm thinking tube half stack. Anybody got some ideas?

·
Registered
636 Posts
legacy? :) I plan to buy a half stack legacy but I have a lot of time for that given that I'm a student :) I understand you Jeff, I'm not earning money, my parents give me. That is my income and sometimes I just buy so much stuff, that I have problem keeping up with my own "needs" As far as the girlfriend goes, I don't have any problems about that, mine doesn't cost that much :) Keep your chin up dude, everything will get all right, can't stay this way all the time, right?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am just going to stop spending tons of money. I will eat out like once per week instead of every day. I'm not going to buy any pointless crap, and I'm going to try to keep my driving to a minimum. The reason why the girlfriend costs so much is because we never have anything to do, so we just go out to eat a lot or do other stuff that always costs money. I normally do this anyways, but now I have to pay for two people. I need some ideas for free stuff that we can do. Going on walks isn't really workable because every day the temperatures are in triple digits. The evenings/nights stay in the upper 90s.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Jeff said:
I will eat out like once per week instead of every day.
Dang - every day???? Well there's your answer dude...eating out is expensive!

Plus you don't want your girlfriend getting PHAT do ya:lol:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts