Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought This '88 Jem on Reverb.

I paid €2250 + €100 shipping.

It arrived quickly and was well packed, I pulled it out of its case, fell in love, and then rushed to give positive feedback - arrived as described.

I wish I'd inspected it more closely, and I wish I could now amend my feedback.

The seller had suggested it was an RB with a PBK body.
Sadly, it was a poor refinish of an RB, with orange peel all over, and damage on the end of the body. Obviously while the paint was still wet, a strap had been used, and the guitar had rested on a guitar stand. A perfectly nice RB finish ruined, and a rattle can black finish in its place. What a shame.

Predictably, the seller's response was "this is so strange" "I never saw damage like this on the guitar, maybe I need new glasses or something".

Of course his "luthier" got the blame for the PBK suggestion: "I asked the luthier about it and he said it was that body", going on to ask "is there something in the case that could have caused this?" as though it was new damage 🙄.

Every other part of the body was photographed, this damaged area was conveniently left out of any photos.

To top it off, several of the frets are flattened and two are lifting, which was also never mentioned.

So, I've bought an expensive project guitar.

I've asked for a partial refund -33% to reflect the guitar's true value, which the seller has rejected.

To be fair he has offered a full refund if I send it back but I can't trust him to follow through, and I will take the hit on the €100 or so it would cost to return it.

Reverb are assisting with mediating a solution but I'm not holding out much hope.

Let this be a reminder to all of us - ask lots of questions, never take anything for granted, and don't let your fever for a piece of gear cloud your judgement.

Check the image in the listing above, and then see these:

Wood Composite material Hardwood Metal Wood stain

Hood Automotive exterior Automotive tire Bumper Automotive mirror

Automotive lighting Wood Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Registered
594 Posts
Sounds like you got the guitar and you were enamored but it. Then someone with more experience in all things guitar inspected it and made you aware of the issues. I see in the previous thread where people advised you against paying that price as well. If it were me I’d strip the body and have it refinished either in RB or proper black.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sounds like you got the guitar and you were enamored but it. Then someone with more experience in all things guitar inspected it and made you aware of the issues. I see in the previous thread where people advised you against paying that price as well. If it were me I’d strip the body and have it refinished either in RB or proper black.
That’s a strange conclusion to draw.
I had 5 mins (in a rush) with it on day 1.
On day 2, I took it out of the case, felt a roughness with my hand on the bottom, assumed it was tape residue, took a closer look and found the truth.

Also, look at that thread again. Nobody advised me on price, I didn’t even ask for advice, and an expert reckoned it was a factory finish. I thought I’d take a chance, I got burned. Live and learn.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The expert said a refin would make sense but the pictures looked like original black. There's nothing in the pictures that give away a refin, but they did show the chips.
Absolutely, and I didn’t mean for my mention of that analysis to be a criticism. More a response to the poster above who thinks I don’t know what I’m doing :)

You’re right. The deficiencies in the paint job are hard to photograph, and if one happens to be an unscrupulous seller who doesn’t want to give the game away, that serves one very well.

If the seller had been transparent about the refinish and damage, it would be all good but hey, it takes all kinds of people to make the world turn. If he’s happy operating that way, then my attitude is “hey, it sucks to be you, man, good luck”.

So now my choices are pretty much take it or leave it. I can return it under Reverb buyer protection or keep the thing, suck it up and get on with the work.

Petty problem to have, given the state of the world right now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
€2,250 sees a pretty good price regardless ?

The guy seems to sell quite a few guitars incl. 3 x Vai related models in 12 months all with good feedback - maybe he buys / quickly sells and didn't inspect properly himself / didn't know why he got it cheap.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts