Ibanez JEM Forum banner

81 - 100 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
looks like it coming out great! i wanna see RFR!

:lol: I was actually thinking of Carotene Orange. You don't see much of those any more.

Wow!!!
it`s looking great!!! could you post a blueprint? i WANT ONE LIKE YOURS!!

REGARDS

I could post one if I had one. I'm using RG templates for just about everything. The body shape I just "winged it". It's all eyeballed and just sketching out some curves and cutting it out. When I get done I'll probably take some measurements of it and I could post that up then.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Cedar and poplar are both very hard woods,
Are you sure? Cedar is the wood that old guys sitting around the town square in small towns in rural Arkansas idly whittle, on account of its softness. So far as I know (me being no expert) only balsa (incredibly soft, you can dent it with your finger) is softer than cedar. To say that cedar is "very hard" is 100% wrong, at least for all the cedar which I am familiar with. Oak is hard. Hickory is hard (but useless, except as firewood). Maple is hard. Cedar? Very very very soft.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Are you sure? Cedar is the wood that old guys sitting around the town square in small towns in rural Arkansas idly whittle, on account of its softness. So far as I know (me being no expert) only balsa (incredibly soft, you can dent it with your finger) is softer than cedar. To say that cedar is "very hard" is 100% wrong, at least for all the cedar which I am familiar with. Oak is hard. Hickory is hard (but useless, except as firewood). Maple is hard. Cedar? Very very very soft.
Guess it depends on the Cedar - Australian Red Cedar looks and feels like very high grade Mahogany (but much redder in colour - strange that, eh?) - beautiful, but very expensive and rare wood.

The Cedar you are referring to, I think, is Western Red Cedar, which is used for a lot of exterior building stuff as it is pretty much impervious to weather, but very soft indeed.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
I checked out this thread a while back...looking forward to new pics. Looks great!
wow. Just wow..

Nice

Thanks! I'll be working on it some more this weekend. I'm also going to try and tackle building a neck this weekend as well. Should be loooooooooots of fun. I'll be posting pics again of the progress.

Guess it depends on the Cedar - Australian Red Cedar looks and feels like very high grade Mahogany (but much redder in colour - strange that, eh?) - beautiful, but very expensive and rare wood.

The Cedar you are referring to, I think, is Western Red Cedar, which is used for a lot of exterior building stuff as it is pretty much impervious to weather, but very soft indeed.

Yea, I don't know exactly which family of cedar I'm using. I didin't pay any attention to the name on the tag at the store, but it's definitely not soft. You can't put your fingernail into it, that's for sure. It's pretty hard. Maybe something was done to it before getting to Home Depot. I don't know. But it's pretty hard.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Courtney,

I think you'll get a better effect out of the carving if you simply clearcoat the guitar, as opposed to painting it a different color.

Just a suggestion :wink:

Jimmy:smile:

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·

Could be (?) I'm going up to Home Depot tonight to get something else. I'll walk over there and see what they're calling it. It does look like mahogany though....in person, even.

Hi Jimmy, I've actually settled on a color. I think you all are going to flip if it turns out right. The body is going to be orange. Not just your regular everyday orange though. A special looking kind of orange. ;) And the carved out portions are going to be a smokey black. If it turns out how I'm wanting it then it's going to look killer!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·

Can I get a "DUUUUUUUH"???

It wasn't cedar that I bought. It's red oak. Sorry...I just mixed it all up in my head. It's definitely red oak though...which is really hard.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts

Can I get a "DUUUUUUUH"???

It wasn't cedar that I bought. It's red oak. Sorry...I just mixed it all up in my head. It's definitely red oak though...which is really hard.
And here all along I had gained some respect for you as a wood sniffing, sawdust snorting luthier..... :roll: :lol:

Just what kind of a woodworker doesn't know Oak from Cedar...... Jeezhus! ;)

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·

I know, I know....I just automatically associated the red wood with cedar for some reason. Back when I bought it I didn't really care what kind of wood it was, because this was supposed to be just an exercise on building a guitar. At the time I didn't care if it ended in a guitar that actually played. I just wanted to go thru a build and see how difficult it was and the problems you run into. Now it's building the guitar so that it looks and sounds good.

I do plenty of wood sniffing and sawdust snorting though. :lol: My sinuses can account for that.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·

Well, no work on the guitar project this weekend...at least not directly. I did work on a router duplicator and nearly finished with it. Next weekend I should be able to finish it up, finish the guitar body up and even start on copying a neck on the duplicator.

If anyone is interested in how I built the duplicator I can provide some measurements and pics for you to follow so you can build your own. Mine will be big enough to copy bass necks, which are longer, and wide enough to copy bodies if wanted.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·

Got alittle farther this weekend. Routed out the neck joint pocket. I tried to measure a few bodies that I had because I thought that there was one or two degree slope in the route, but I couldn't get consistant measurements from body to body. Can anyone confirm, or not, if there's supposed to be a slope in the neck pocket route?

I also routed the rear of the grips just like a regular JEM. It makes holding the guitar by the grips alittle easier on the fingers as far as getting your fingers around the grip.

The last route I did was for the pickup selector switch. I could've been alittle bit better at it, but once it's all together you won't be able to see much of it anyways. I need to find a better way of doing this route.

I didn't get to do any work on the router duplicator, so I'll be tackling that this weekend. I think the body for the most part is done, except for sanding, putting sealer on and painting it. There isn't any cutting left to be done on it unless I need to put the neck pocket route in an angle. Only thing left to do is the neck and before I can do that I need to finish the duplicator.

I figure I can finish the duplicator on Friday and glue up the woods for the neck. That'll give me 2 days to work on the neck. Should get pretty far on that minus the truss rod since I don't have one right now. I'll have to order one.

Here's a question for you all. I don't know much about truss rods so I'm asking for some guidance on this one - what kind of truss rod should I get if I'm going to be doing the same style neck as an Ibanez? I've got projectguitar.com's neck tut which I'll be reviewing as well, but if you all have any additional information that's not on the tut would be appreciated.

I haven't decided what I'm going to do for a fretboard. I may use cedar because it's readily available to me at Home Depot.

Anyways, I'll get some pics up later today possibly, and any information you all can give me on the neck would be great!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 · (Edited)

Ahhhhh....the body is done...except for sanding. All the cutting and routing are finished. I even put the countersinks in for the neck screws. Here are some pics.

I also finished the router duplicator. I'll put those in a seperate thread.

81 - 100 of 231 Posts