Ibanez JEM Forum banner

101 - 120 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·

Thanks!

Before I said I had decided on what color to paint it. Check this out and let me know what you think.

The body is going to be the color of orange anodized aluminum. The trem cavity and claw marks are going to be an anodized smoke black color.

Whatcha think?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Courtney. I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction. I plan to paint a guitar in the near future. Can you offer advice, tips or a guide? Is there one on the internet you could direct me to? I have painted stuff in the past and it was terrible.

However, one time I painted on top of chrome (for a lowrider bike I made) and it turned out fine. If I do end up painting it will be on a already finished guitar so I do not have to fill, sand, prime, finish, sand again, top coat and ... well you know.

I just want to spray a color coat (prime if necessary) and perhaps top coat it or buff it. I have done several natural finishes, but this time I want a hot pink guitar or something. They are hard to find around here these days.

Thanks. I can't wait to see more pics!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·

I did some more tweaking on the router duplicator and tested it out on a piece of 2x4 scrap to see how a neck would come out. I didn't trim up the wood before I started. As you know a 2x4 is much wider and taller than a neck.

It definitely takes proper setup to get things to come out correctly. The probe and the router bit needs to be properly indicated in to duplicate accurately. I didn't on this first test. I just eye balled it and started cutting.

It does work, however, despite not coming out that well. You really need to take the piece of wood you plan on cutting and trimming it to the correct dimensions and using the router to cut in the profile of the neck. At least that's the way I see using this. I have a table saw so getting the correct slope of the neck won't be a problem and will actually cut down on the amount of time using the router.

I was able to use a regular sized router with no problems whatsoever. I didn't even try my smaller detail router. Since it's a variable speed router I set it on 1 and never changed it. I used a 1/2" round-nose bit and the same for the probe end. It worked perfectly.

The only thing I want to do is use something different for the probe. I put a piece of tape around the bit, but it still cut into the neck alittle bit leaving scratches. Not a big deal for the neck since it's a junk neck. I'm bound to be able to find something that's 1/2" in diameter somewhere. If not I'll just make one out of a wooden dowel.

Both sleds move fluidly, although it does take a bit of strength to move it. Not much, but you have to purposely move it in order to get it to move. This is a good thing. This cuts down on the whole thing moving when you don't want it to. You can concentrate on moving the cutter up and down and to the left and right just a little bit without it moving alot.

There's a few more things that I really need to do to it so that it's ready for some real work. For one I need to develop a jig to hold both the neck being copied and the wood being cut. I think I've got something worked out in my head that will work. I'll be trying that this coming weekend.

Other than that I think the router duplicator will be pumping out some necks pretty soon. I'll use a few more 2x4 scraps to practice on before going full blast on a laminated piece of wood. This will definitely take some practice to get a good duplication I think. It's coming along well though.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Looks awesome Courtney!!!! That metallic orange will be very nice.
Would you by chance know where I could get the blue print for a Jem body?
I am having a guitar shop make a RBjem replica, but can't find the depth and
location of the new monkey grip and lion claws. I have searched everywhere and came up
with nothing. I have seen the diagram or blueprint on here before, as it was traced on
white paper with blue ink.
I want the newer grip instead of the straight one on the old body.
Thanks, and great job
How much would you charge for a complete body minus paint, for a power jem?

·
Registered
358 Posts
location of the new monkey grip and lion claws. I have searched everywhere and came up
with nothing. I have seen the diagram or blueprint on here before, as it was traced on
Thanks, and great job
http://www.jemsite.com/jem/origin/m_bp_jem.jpg

theres one there.

I'm sure theres a better quality one round here somewhere, I'll have a look for you.

Edit: Got it http://www.jemsite.com/jem/origin/jem777_blueprint.jpg

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Thanks, and great job

The template that I have I bought off of the bay. There's a guy on there that sells templates. I don't know if it's 100% accurate, but if it's off a bit it's not by much.

As for a quote on a body I'd base it off of what kind of wood(s) you wanted to use. You can PM me and let me know what kind of woods and any other sort of details you want on it and I'll give you a price.

As for this project I haven't done much with it. It's just been miserable outside for a while now. So hot and humid that I'm just tired of it. I think it's starting to change now so maybe by the middle of next month I can return to this project.

What I have left to do now is make a neck for this beast. I tested out the duplicator that I made and it did well. I think I'll probably use a table saw to cut off most of the material before switching over to the duplicator. Then it's off to paint.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
that looks seriously metal! awesome stuff there courtney!
excuse me for being a lazy swine but there were far too many words in this thread and im a whore for the pictures! what kinda fretboard and inlays you going to go for? might i suggest a razor wire version of the vine? that would sure keep the metal theme going!

good luck with the next stage of the build

"tiny tim" :D

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·

I was thinking of doing a laminate of rosewood and maple, but I'm not entirely for sure on that. It would be different strips of rosewood and maple throughout the length of the fretboard. As for inlays I haven't decided. I don't want dots. I'm not a big fan of that barbwire vine. It will most likely be something that probably hasn't been done before....some sort of shape that probably hasn't been done.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Haven't visited this thread in awhile, was hoping for some updates too! Now that its cooled off a bit in FL, perhaps we will have some soon!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·

It has finally cooled off a bit. I haven't touched this project in a while and it's time to do some work on it.

This is where I stand right now. The body is ready for paint and I've been rethinking the color. I originally was going to do an aluminum anodized orange. Maybe a swirl would be better? I just did a 470 JEM conversion in DSY as the base and swirled it with several fluorescent colors. Turned out pretty cool. I'm going to sell it though, so maybe a swirl. What do you all think?

The neck...

I built a router duplicator and I've tested it out. It can rough out the shape, but I think I'll get a better neck if I use the table saw to remove the wood first and then maybe use the duplicator to finish it off. I need to test that out on a 2x4 first.

I laminated wood for the neck and it's more than ready. I did that back in September.

I've got a long weekend so I'll put some time into it. Christmas lights on Friday and then from there until Sunday I'll have free time.

I've also got a black 7 string that I'm going to refinish. I need to sand it down and repair a ding or two. I'm thinking of doing a GMC swirl on it.

I'll try to do some teaser pics of the Power Jem tonight with the hardware and an Ibanez neck in place.

101 - 120 of 231 Posts