Ibanez JEM Forum banner

121 - 140 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I always wanted to say this

You are a freakin Rocket scientist...you can build router duplicators, swirl guitars and also somewhat play... please marry me

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I guess thats a yes ?? Hmm need to move to Utah already married. Does that pose a problem???

Seriously, i guess what i wanted to express is that you seem to be a very cool gal.... thats it.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·

Not quite a "yes". It'd be nice if my groom to be thought I could do better than "somewhat play", but thanks for the offer. ;)

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·

I haven't done anything to it. I'm on strike until it cools down here. The humidity has been horrible lately. I'm so ready for winter. When it cools down then I'll finish this thing up.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·

Well, I've started back on this project again. I'm also stripping a 7420, doing alittle repair work and it'll get a fresh new paint job afterwards.

I didn't do anything with the Power Jem's body, but I did start working on the neck. I had laminated 3 pieces together back in like October or something and it was still clamped together today when I got it out. The only goof I did was not adding extra width on the lamination to accomodate for the headstock size. I've got more wood on there now getting laminated on that I'll continue with next weekend.

Today was mostly fine tuning the steps of actually getting all the wood removed that doesn't need to be there. Also made a few jigs that will hopefully make neck construction easier and quicker. If you remember I went thru the trouble of making a router duplicator. I'm not even going to be using it now. I'll be using the table saw to get the width and thickness of the neck. I'll use the jigsaw for the headstock shape. And today, which I don't know why I never thought of this before, it dawned on me to try a corner round bit on the router to get the profile. I bought a 3/4" corner round bit today. It will get the sides of the neck very close to the profile of the Original Wizard. From there I'll hand blend the center part of the neck. A 1" radius would probably be better, but Lowes didn't have one. Once you get that size it's almost custom order territory. I just looked up what one would cost and I saw $98. So I'll see how the 3/4" will do for now. It was only like $42 or so.

Hopefully next weekend I'll make some progress and have something that actually looks like a neck - minus the fretboard. Until then I took some teaser pics for you to drool over. ;)

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·

Ok, I guess the teaser pics didn't satisfy anybody's fantasy. I felt guilty about that and decided to lay out of work today and work on the neck to give you some real progress shots. Cause, you know, I'm all about satisfing people's fantasies. ;) Just kidding! :p

But now that I've got your undivided attention, I'll now give you some REAL teaser pics...of the neck.

I was scratching my head at how best to remove all the wood from the headstock area. It would be fairly simple to do if I had a band saw, which I don't. That's going to have to be purhased soon though, because I'd like to continue to make guitars, if nothing more for than myself. :D

I used a combination of my electric hand planer which carved away alot of wood very good, but it's kinda long and didn't do well in tight places. So I decided to be brave and carve the wood out by using a radial hand saw. It's not exactly safe to do, but if you're careful it can hog away alot of wood fast. Again, ideally the band saw would be the thing to use here, but I don't have one...yet.

After that I cut the contour of the headstock and thined the width of the neck using a jigsaw.

As you can see I opted for the hump on the back of the neck where the nut goes. I do like the original Wizards the best, but I do believe that this hump is a much better design, so it's going into this neck.

The pieces I added on to the side for the head stock were sufficient in width to accomodate the size of the headstock. You can't really tell that it wasn't there before yesterday, but it wasn't. I laminated those pieces on last night.

What I have left to do is thin down the back of the neck. It's the same thickness all the way thru. If you look at the back of our necks you'll see the right after where it bolts onto the guitar the neck gets thinner. So I have to do that. I'll probably use the jigsaw to do that. I'll use course sandpaper and hand blend the transition to the neck joint and the nut hump.

After that it's time for the router. Have to route out a slot for the truss and put the chamfers on the side of the neck. I'll hand blend the middle of the neck so there's a nice gentle curve from one side to the other. I might try to cut some blocks out with that curve, just like a fretboard sanding block to hopefully make it more uniform from top to bottom.

Anyways, here's some teaser pics for you...

·
Registered
570 Posts
Looking good so far!
Wonder what that body will sound like, rather unique wood choice and construction :)

By the way, I see you've put a V7 in. Is that actually going to be the pickup you'll be using, or did you just grab the nearest humbucker to take a picture? Because on Ibanez guitars, the V7 is generally used as a neck humbucker, and the V8 is the companion for the bridge.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·

Yea, I just grabbed a couple of pickups to take the pics with. I'm actually thinking of putting a Breed or Tone Zone in the bridge and putting a Sustaniac at the neck....make it a screaming little demon! :D

·
Registered
570 Posts
I'm actually trying to get rid of a ToneZone myself... and a PAF Pro :)
The ToneZone didn't work in my guitar, so the stock V8 pickup went back in.
My favourite pickup so far is the Gibson 500T, talk about screaming! That thing can cut through 10 inch thick solid steel walls!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·

I'm probably going to get a maple or zebrawood fretboard and put some cool inlays in it. I've got a ways to go before I get to that point though.

Thanks for looking everyone! Your comments are welcome!

121 - 140 of 231 Posts