Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I can play faster with it and more accurate, I can hear all my pick notes while before with Jazz 3 XL I wasn't, my picking was inconsistent when playing fast, I was missing pick notes here and there when playing fast, I'm on the second day using it and getting more used to it, the small size still feels kinda weird, but then I decided to play again with the Jazz 3 XL and not only I was slower and the pick flapping around in my fingers, but it felt like I gained weight in my hand, it felt weird

I got the Jazz 3 in max grip carbon fiber and the grip is superior to the Ultex XL

I can't believe how much my picking improved just by changing picks, realized it was not just my left hand holding me back but my picking as well it wasn't consistent before due to the standard size pick and feeling not grippy enough. I can also tremolo pick faster now while before I would struggle with the pick moving a little off my fingers

with the regular jazz 3 because is smaller, the pinch harmonics are easier to do now

·
Registered
912 Posts
I used to never change picks but over the last few years I’ve been experimenting.

jazz 3 XL is my second favorite but my first favorite is the Dunlop eh, standard shape but thick and super pointy? 😂

I used to take the standard purple dunlops and shave the sides down to be pointy, then bevel the edges how they’d naturally wear over time with a pair of scissors. The new ones are already pointy so I just bevel the edges.

the thicker the better.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Have you tried the little purple Dunlop picks?
They're the same small size as a jazz iii and even more rounded/beveled on the sides.

They're worth a try too. Those and the max grip red jazz iiis are my favourite.

You're definitely right about pinch harmonics being easier with them too

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I had used the old grey dunlop nylon .73's forever, cutting x's on the sides for grip, etc... About a year and a half ago I tried a Jazz III in the music store and it felt pretty good, so I bought a slection of them (using up the balance of a gift certificate). Red, black, pointy, slightly rounded, and so on... Well, I have been using them ever since! The only thing that I don't do well with them is very light strumming, cowboy song stuff... Otherwise I prefer them!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I love the jazz iii man! I started using them as well. I wound up ordering from pick punch their jazz iii punch. Just came in this past Saturday with a couple different gauges of derlin plastic sheets. Super awesome! You can get about 80 picks per sheet of derlin. Definitely worth checking out. One sheet is about $3.50... that's like 5 cents a pick hahaha.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am using the little Eric Johnson Jazz picks, which I love, but my hands are kinda of big, my fingers aren't nice and tapered for guitar, they are more gorilla-like! The picks are so small my fingers bang into the strings sometimes. Wonder if they make that pick in a little larger size? I can't be the only guy with "meat hooks" for hands as they say. Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts