Ibanez JEM Forum banner

I finally understood how to the setup is done

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Heep 
#1 ·
All thanks to this JSXline6. I couldn't grasp this by reading Rich website, is confusing, but when JSX explained it, I finally saw it and understood Rich explanation

So basically this line on the side of the bridge is the knife edge, so you want this line to be level with the top of the body, which would make the knife edge meet the post at a perpendicular angle.

Even, though the bridge itself may seem a bit raised due to the angled baseplate, what matters is the knife edge meeting the post at a 90 degree angle.

With my current setup, the line is lower than the body top. With my previous setup, where the bridge was too forward, the line was higher than the body top.

The problem is getting that line to be level with the body after everything is done.

I could adjust the bridge angle, so the line is level with the body, the problem for me, is then getting everything to remain like that after tuning and I don't even know how to intonate the guitar after or before that

I sent an email with photos to the guitar tech, so he will learn how it needs to be done I guess

Maybe Rich could help the communityy by making a video or something on how to do a setup lol

See less See more
#2 ·
it's trial and error at this point (small adjustments coupled with retuning and checking the level)...due to manufacturing tolerances in both the milling of the wood and in the springs themselves, every setup is a little different...once you've done it a few times you'll get closer quicker but it is a learning process...d.m.

#4 ·
Great to hear dude, you're getting there. You just have to iterate - release a little bit of spring tension, retune, aha now it's closer, release tension, retune, okay now it's too far forward, increase spring tension a little bit - yes! it's bang on. When everything is setup, the knife will stay parallel to the body unless you change string gauge/tuning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.