Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yessss!!!

Couple days ago, I just had the time of my life (along when I met and got to know Joe Satriani some years ago). I'll share the experience here with you guys.

Last sunday, July 17th I had one of my most exciting musical and personal experiences EVER!!! I was lucky enough to be on Steve Vai´s concert in San Javier with my friend Alberto, both with the EVO Premium Experience and, as we were the only ones there, we had the opportunity of meeting and knowing Steve in a very personal way, just the three of us.He was SO NICE, talked with me and my friend sat down in a little table for like 45 minutes, told us great stories, gave good advices for music and life, shared personal experiences, talked about Joe´s birthday party....just what every Vai fans dream of.Also, I had the opportunity of bringin my beloved (and very limited!) Ibanez Jem EVO with me, and Steve was so cool to play with it for a while, check and compare with his original EVO, and also drawed me some cool "VAI Hieroglyphs" and signed the guitar with a personal mention. How cool was that?

He also signed my Passion and Warfare Poster, the 25 Anniversary Passion and Warfare Tour book, my Jem7vWh backplate and a lot of other stuff.Also got a Steve Vai pic along with some other cool goodies.

And....I was about to (you know...) on my pants when I was allowed to play the original EVO (yesss, the mystic EVO!!!), have pics with the guitar, and also compare to my EVO. They were incredible similar, Steve agreeded, he told me mine was very well adjusted, and asked my if I did the set up, and I proudly said yes, I in fact do to all my guitars... Having EVO in my hands, got to play THAT guitar, even for just couple of minutes....was totally mindblowing for me.

I also joked Steve about doing a trade with both EVO´s, as mine was newer....but he smiled and graciously declined ;)

After that, Steve said he had to leave for soundcheck, but as we were only two there.....we were invited to backstage and hang out with the band until the show would start!!!!

I was next to Steve while he was soundchecking (AMAZING!!!!!), hanged out with Jeremy Colson, Dave Weiner, Philip Bynoe.I saw Steve playing next to me, and it was just mindblowing.

After that, we hanged out with Mr. Thomas Nordeg, Steve´s guitar tech.Soooo nice guy and so funny.We talked like 2 hours about guitars, effects, touring with Steve and othe big stars...even about my city and a lot of things more (we had a lot of time to kill while the show had to start!).He showed me EVO, FLO, BO, and the other guitars Steve have, we were in "his cave" while adjusting for Steve and he was kind enough to give me the strings that Steve had used on EVO in the last concert in Cordoba (he was changing strings for Steve before the soundcheck). He joked about having Steve´s DNA in the strings and in my Jem DNA so I could probably clonate Steve. Sooo nice man, can´t express how grateful I am to him and all the crew....

https://scontent-cdg2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13700036_10209419067291105_4695657503778157721_n.jpg?oh=aecd13609f2b38896780ed4ce1dc07a0&oe=58363E79

And after that, came the concert....but I will leave that for later, with some more interesting stuff ;)

[img]https://scontent-cdg2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13731495_10209419076371332_6556681971491095121_n.jpg?oh=6492db1a70a182aa281798d371592671&oe=57EF0557

·
Registered
806 Posts
So cool! Great pictures! You are a very lucky man to have been able to have that experience!

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Lucky bastard :mrgreen:

Today is my turn to see Mr. Vai live in Mallorca... No premium experience, but at least I'll see the show at first row

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lucky bastard :mrgreen:

Today is my turn to see Mr. Vai live in Mallorca... No premium experience, but at least I'll see the show at first row
Bernat, enjoy the show.I've seen Vai on tour before, but this one is BY FAR the most awesome concert I've ever seen Vai playing.The PAW setlist is just amazing, and the show is very funny and very "hard rock" lets say.

Will tell you some more of my meeting with Vai in Santiago ;)

·
Registered
428 Posts
Brilliant experience man, so cool to hear everyone was so down to earth and friendly. Thanks for sharing your experience! Rock 'n' roll!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Here are some of the goodies I got from Steve Vai in our meeting.Also, detail of the hyerogliph Steve drawed for me, below the signed personal dedication, in my EVO Replica.

Love the Passion and Warfare poster with the dedication from Steve...and strings used from his last concert with EVO is just an amazing treasure!

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Congrats! Looks like you had a great time. I did the EVO Experience a few years ago when he was here on Halloween. Best money I ever spent. Way more than just a meet n greet and some swag. We had 9 people and he spent 45 minutes doing a Q and A session with us. His son was keeping an eye on the time. Then spent all the time he needed to sign everyone's stuff including guitars. A 570, a VWH and my RG750. Then we all went in and they gave us all tables up front and got to sit through sound check. It was such a surreal experience. Yours looked way more personal but wouldn't expect anything less with only 2 people there. Steve is a quality guy that cares about his fans. Definitely get your moneys worth for sure.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've got to do one of these EVO packages sometime, but I'm definitely not taking my EVO with me 8O
You don't like hieroglyphs??? ;)

For me, it was a way of having something special from Steve in the guitar that most represents him.I asked him to draw something personal / special, and he spent a good time with the guitar, drawing the hieroglyphs.I have some cool videos of Steve playing my Evo and drawing on it.I love having something special and creative from Steve on my guitar, not intention to sell, so... Funny thing, Steve joked with me: "now you can sell this guitar for way more!" and I told him I'll never sell this one, then he asked me if I wanted my name in the dedication, as it would be harder to sell than without my name, and I say "of course! I'm never gonna sell", so he wrote "to Ricky".

Steve was very cool, I showed him my web, where is part of my guitar collection, and while he was playing EVO I was telling him how much I Love Jems and Js's guitars, and also was talking about how good was EVO compared to other Jems, Steve said it was really nice while playing it, and I told him that it was as good as the JS Blackdog is, and how nice was built, in the same Sugi factory where EVO was built too, and Steve asked me "so, you have a DNA, this (EVO)...what else do you have??!" . Funny moment! I have all that recorded in video, and when I see it, I totally freak out :D

1 - 20 of 39 Posts