Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the 25 or so years that I have been playing Ibanez, I can't say I really could tell the difference between the Ibanez branded pickups and the Dimarzios. I just never heard anything that made me say wow to the point where I couldn't live with the factory picups that came in so many of the Ibanez guitars I have owned over the years.

Today, thanks to Craigslist, I came across a 7V. I'd post a pic but post count isn't high enough yet.

The kid that owned it really needed a kick in the nuts for the couple little dings I found and touched up which showed a clear lack of appreciation for what he had. Plus he said his dad bought it for him for Christmas 2 years ago. None the less, I got it for a steal so I can't really complain, just felt bad for the guitar. I am not sure what kind of strings he was running but when I put the D'Addarios on it, I had to re-setup the entire guitar. Spent several hours on it getting it just right (likely minor adjustments tomorrow) and plugged it in.

WOW!

I can actually now see why so many people complain about the factory pickups in so many of the lessor models. Now I am ruined! I'll never be able to go back!

As an added bonus, this guitar feels like my trusty old RG's. I was disappointed with the JS 1200 I bought last year. I had been warned that you either love em' or hate em' but it just didn't "fit".

This Jem feels right at home to me. Some how I don't think I'll be able to pry it out of my son's hands as this is his absolute favorite guitar of all time but it sure is a welcome addition. My prized possession is actually my first real guitar that I bought brand new in 1990 and still own today (760 Series) but this one feels very familiar to me in a great way.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Wow, I've never found the newer Ibanez pickups to be accaptable at all. The guitar pickups are bad and the bass pickups worse. Granted, I've worked as a recording engineer so I'm really sensitive to tone. The only ibz pups I've liked were some of the older 70's and 80's models and the ones on my early 90 RT model (cheap but w/ a certain charm).

Congrats on the axe!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, I've never found the newer Ibanez pickups to be accaptable at all. The guitar pickups are bad and the bass pickups worse. Granted, I've worked as a recording engineer so I'm really sensitive to tone. The only ibz pups I've liked were some of the older 70's and 80's models and the ones on my early 90 RT model (cheap but w/ a certain charm).

Congrats on the axe!
I think I just have much lower standards. As long as it's got a nice crunch to it I've been happy but these pickups have a much thicker crunch that was very noticeable to me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts