Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For about the last 15 years I have heard country music fans (I am not one) say that Vince Gill is an incredible guitar player. They claim he is capable of SHREDDING with the best of em', but he just choses not to because it's not his style. Some say he is the best in the world. His wife (Amy Grant, for those of you that don't know) claims he "can make a guitar come alive in his hands and is the greatest guitarist she has ever heard". Granted, she's his wife and will be biased, but I've heard it from a lot of other people too - Mark Knopler says he's incredible and wanted him to be in Dire Straits. I'm not saying I don't like Vince Gill, he seems like a nice guy. He doesn't seem to have an attitude problem, and he doesn't seem to be remotley arrogant. I'm just saying I wanna see what he can do! Hell, I'd hold his tele for him or whatever and while he plays one of my Jems! Come on Vince, lets see what ya got! 15 years of your fans talk without action needs to come to head!

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
You need to check out his performance on the Eric Clapon Crossroads Festival DVD set. If you don't own a copy of that DVD, RUN, DON'T WALK, RUN out and get it. Steve Vai and the Breed perform, John Mclaughlin, John Mayer, Santana and tons of awesome artists perform on the two disc DVD set. Worth every penny especially if you like to hear and see some big names in blues and other styles along with Clapton jamming left and right.

Vince tears the sh*t out of the guitar with style and grace and has chops to spare while making it look effortless. I'd love to have his chops and I don't play country ;)

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
Cool. You won't regret that you bought it:) One of the best $20 DVD sets I have ever bought.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Good call Demon, that is one of my favorite DVDs and I have quite a few. Vai kicks ass on it ,as well as quite a few other guys. Vince Gill definately plays a mean ass guitar on it, and I don't like country music.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Cool. You won't regret that you bought it One of the best $20 DVD sets I have ever bought.
Thanks for the heads up Bones:) I'm goin to grab it NOW, lol.

lol.....

This thread is just another example of the old stereotype:

He/she could never shread because they play (said style) of music!

lol....reminds me of an old project I had to do for a family reunion. Ummm.....has anyone ever tried to play some of John Denver's old songs??? Not kidding:lol:
SOME of those rhythms are seriously a bitch to play:lol: No sh*t :lol: (not to mention he sang along as well) Man I had a bit of mud on my face after that one, lol. I went into it as a joke and came out of it learning the fact that you can never stereotype anyone ;)

(man....that was tough to admit:lol:)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Let me start by saying that my following comments are not aimed at anyone who has posted in this thread, but rather an observation that this particular thread has brought to light. I can't believe that some people bag on these country guys like they are a bunch of no talent hillbillies. The stuff that these guys play is technically amazing, more so than some rock players. The skill needed to pull of chicken picking alone is enough to prove that, let alone the use of alternate tunings and scales these guys utilize. You may not like what they play, but at least give them their due as awesome musicians. I've tried several times to learn how to chicken pick, but it's a totally different animal than the rock/shred stuff I have played for the last 18 years ( by the way, if anyone here knows how-make a vid and post it please). I would think that most folks here are open to new sounds and styles, but if not you should at least check some of this stuff out to gain a new perspective. You may even learn something, or be inspired in a way you never thought you would. You don't necessarily have to like the music to like and/or respect the player.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I love good music, and this *is* good music.

Danny is the Master of the Telecaster. He left too soon :(

BTW what the hell is that guitar Albert Lee plays?

Regards,

JP

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Yuh, and if you ever needed any other proof that country style players kick major ass, go out and get any of the Hellecaster Albums - three of the most major guitar playing talents I have ever seen - they supported Eric Johnson (my favourite player) when he toured Australia a few years ago, and not only did I enjoy them possibly more than EJ, but I spent a helluva lot of the time watching them thinking: "How DO they do that!!!"

and then there's Johnny Hiland..........

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
. . . I can't believe that some people bag on these country guys like they are a bunch of no talent hillbillies. The stuff that these guys play is technically amazing, more so than some rock players.

. . . You may not like what they play, but at least give them their due as awesome musicians. You don't necessarily have to like the music to like and/or respect the player.
Great post, I'm with you one hundred percent. I like all kinds of music, sure, some better than others, but still . . .

I'm finding that I have favorites in every genre of music. I love Kanye West, Art Pepper, Miles Davis, Bob Dylan, Van Halen, Buddy Guy, Charlie Daniels, Jane's Addiction. Just for starters.

I'm all over the map and I have problems with people who slag an entire genre. How can you be a musician and not dig "Kind of Blue?"

1 - 20 of 22 Posts