Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my S670 about 10 months now. When I bought it, one of the first things I did was take out the stop bar, because I like the "flutter" you can get without it, I'm sure you know what I mean.

Anyway, the reason I bought this guitar was mostly the ZR trem, which I thought, since it has no knife edges to wear down, should always return to the zero point.

Guess what?

Not true

I noticed a slight problem with it when I first bought it, but just shrugged it off. However, recently, it has developed a wierd popping noise when I tap the arm downwards. I identified that the root of the problem was at the hinge points, so I sprayed in a little bit of lubricant to see if that helped.

Now; the popping problem has diminished, but is still present

and

the stupid thing goes out of tune whenever I pull up on the bar.

Help me, please, before I totally lose it and sell this beautiful guitar.

Also, does anyone know where near South London or on the web I can get replacement bushings for the trem arm holder? (2ZR2-12)

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
...since it has no knife edges to wear down, should always return to the zero point.

Guess what?

Not true
just because you had problems with your own ZR, it doesn't mean it is not true. that's just your case. you just need a good overall setup. you may not like it, but the ZR rocks.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
just because you had problems with your own ZR, it doesn't mean it is not true. that's just your case. you just need a good overall setup. you may not like it, but the ZR rocks.
Agreed. Case in point?

The ZR Freakin owns as a trem system. The only flaw is the arm holder, imo.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Treat it well and it's perfect, my trem is a perfect example, back when it was set up properly it was perfect, then it got messed up by people messing with it (being 16 has many flaws when it comes to guitar players a similar age), and it's prett off now.

·
Registered
70 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay

Sorry for my rant. I do retract some of those statements. The problem with the zero return has now stopped, and it's better than ever. I admit there are moments where I think, yeah, this is the best trem ever, but, others when it just annoys me stupid. I'm back to being in love with it now :)

I have to agree though, the arm holder design isn't great. I think a drop in one with adjustable tension would be perfect. I thought up how you could work one this morning, but I suspect the big guys at Ibanez would have none of it.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Exactly....and you could always retrofit a Floyd Rose Bar and holder on one as well.

Also, after reading the OP's posts, I bet his arm holder is loose.

·
Registered
117 Posts

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Only the tensioning cap screws on.

The bar itself does not screw in like the original ZR bar. It just slides in the hole.

And yes, that part looks correct.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Only the tensioning cap screws on.

The bar itself does not screw in like the original ZR bar. It just slides in the hole.

And yes, that part looks correct.
Well yea thats what I meant, that you have to screw in the cap to make it stay. Didn't really mean the whole bar itself.

I think if I had to choose between a lose bar or one that I'd have to spin like 30 times to get in I'd take the lose bar.

And I didn't know you had to screw the bar in on the original ZR. But I've never played one so I wouldn't know.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts