Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 15 stomp boxes .. not all connected .. my rig is

starting from my guitar which is an Ibanez RG1570 prestige made in japan, with Di marzio Paf joe neck humbucker pickup, Dimarzio Evo 2 middle single coil pickup, Mo' Joe Dimarzio bridge humbucker pickup===> Chromatic tuner BOSS => Smart gate MXR => compression sustainer BOSS => Marshal Gov'nor => Satchurator VOX => Ultra feedback / distortion BEHRINGER => Super chorus BOSS => Equalizer BOSS => Time Machine VOX => to the amp which is Line 6 spider Jam 75WATT

the sustainer sometimes brings out noise when its one with other effects.

I have an unused stomp boxes which i can make a use of:

- Echo Machine - Behringer
- Tube Amp Modeler - Behringer
- DS1 - BOSS (distortion)
- SansAmpGT2 (distortion)
- Harmonist - Boss

please tell me if that is the correct order in connecting my pedals .. also my problem is i can't get a proper sound of distortion live .. the sound just sucks .. also i've been trying to get a satriani sound like.. sometimes i get close but most of the time I'm somewhere else on another planet with my stupid sound

Please Help

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I face the problem when I play live.. on the PA !! bad distortion sound really bad ... is my chain of effects connected in the correct order?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Best way to figure it out is to get a good sound through it without the pa

Then use the system to check it and figure out what's wrong

I would suggest that the bad tone might be the amp. If you rely heavily on pedals for tone, get a rather clean amp that takes pedals well (perhaps a fender or something) and use that to mold your sound

If you're using a pa it might also be mic placement unless you're using a direct out of the amp. At that point anything could be problematic. It's just trial and error.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
You might try minimizing the setup and see where the problem lies. Set up the guitar straight through the tuner and gate to the amp, dial up a good sound. Add compressor, dial up good sound, add a dist/O.D. pedal, dial up a good sound... and so on.

One other thing - time based effects like chorus, delay, etc. don't sound as good going into the front of the amp as they do when placed in the effects loop. I don't know if that amp has an fx loop though. If not, try your tuner-gate-comp-OD/Dist in front of the amp, then add delay or chorus or whatever using the built in effects in the amp.

I tried and treid to get lots of stompboxes to get a good sound... ended up getting my best sound by using wah-overdrive-amp with a delay pedal in the fx loop.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Having 2 distortion pedals, rather than an OD and Distortion may also be an issue. Are you sure you even need 2 Distortion pedals going at the same time?

·
Registered
212 Posts
What fireeagle said with getting it set up, couple of effects at a time get a good sound then add more.

with the pedal order this is how i go

In front of the amp guitar->tuner->wah->pitch/modulation effects->overdrive/distortian->eq->noise gate->amp

Effects loop, all time based effects delay/chorus/echo. i also put my boost here as it seems to colour the tone a lot less

The satch sound is fairly easy to get, i used to use the satchurator gain knob at 1 oclock, tone knob at 11 oclock and then set the volume to match what your clean channel is doing, that gives you a nice overdriven sound when on and gives a nice lead sound with the more switch on, then set up 2 delays 1 short and 1 long. that should get you somewhere near you will never get it spot on though, i gave up in the end got a nice valve amp with 3 channels and use the overdrive on the amp, nothing like a nice warm valve

·
Registered
158 Posts
The problem is regardless of playing live or not? Assuming so, since you said
"also my problem is i can't get a proper sound of distortion live"
I think it's the amp in that case personally but before you spend any money on a better amp just go trial and error starting with no effects and then building the board. I'd also suggest running each pedal solo just to make sure there's not a wonky one in the bunch.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Way too many pedals. There's no Evo 2 middle pickup. Get rid of all that stuff and focus on your playing if you want to sound like Satriani.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Honest opinion, sell the pedals and buy one good amp. Keep a couple time based effects like delay and reverb and a gate, the amp should handle the rest.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Honest opinion, sell the pedals and buy one good amp. Keep a couple time based effects like delay and reverb and a gate, the amp should handle the rest.
Now see, I disagree with the last part. Amp can handle it, but having 1 OD pedal with a clean boost is REALLY nice. Helps drive the amp harder, giving the amp more grit.

·
Registered
54 Posts
you can't expect to get a good tone just because you have a ton of pedals...70% of good guitar tone is a good tube amp...with that cheap line6 you will never get a good sound...

So my advice would be sell all those pedals and that tranny amp and buy a decent tube amp...

and if you're going straight into PA then you need cabinet simulations, otherwise it sucks...

·
Registered
63 Posts
you can't expect to get a good tone just because you have a ton of pedals...70% of good guitar tone is a good tube amp...with that cheap line6 you will never get a good sound...

So my advice would be sell all those pedals and that tranny amp and buy a decent tube amp...

and if you're going straight into PA then you need cabinet simulations, otherwise it sucks...
Wow, what a pretty standard boring response, "tube amps are the greatest" blah blah blah, its pretty old. 70% of "guitar tone" isn't a good tube amp, that's ridiculous, I've played through a Marshall 100dfx head and 4x12 cabinet plenty of times and had a really good sound, its all in how you want to sound.

Maybe telling the guy to sell all his stuff and buy a tube amp isn't the best advice, maybe we could tell him how best to use what he has to achieve what he is after?

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Wow, what a pretty standard boring response, "tube amps are the greatest" blah blah blah, its pretty old. 70% of "guitar tone" isn't a good tube amp, that's ridiculous, I've played through a Marshall 100dfx head and 4x12 cabinet plenty of times and had a really good sound, its all in how you want to sound.

Maybe telling the guy to sell all his stuff and buy a tube amp isn't the best advice, maybe we could tell him how best to use what he has to achieve what he is after?
THIS. Totally agree with you.

I bought a tube amp, and yes it sounds better than any Solid state I've played (personally, not a knock against SS). However, you know who had an incredible career in metal using Solid states? Dimebag Darrell. He used solid states throughout most of his career and made a really nice living from it.

So yeah, if there's a sound you want, try to find ways to get to that sound, but don't just tell someone to sell all their pedals.

·
Registered
63 Posts
THIS. Totally agree with you.

I bought a tube amp, and yes it sounds better than any Solid state I've played (personally, not a knock against SS). However, you know who had an incredible career in metal using Solid states? Dimebag Darrell. He used solid states throughout most of his career and made a really nice living from it.

So yeah, if there's a sound you want, try to find ways to get to that sound, but don't just tell someone to sell all their pedals.
Exactly, good tone is in your ear. TS might not realise the studio sounds of guitarists are almost unachievable using just an amp and pedals, so much things go into it, from using dif speakers, cabs, heads, guitars, pickups and eqing all shape it, I'm willing to bet its the amp, digital amps generally don't handle pedals well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
That line6 spider is a beginners amp, it sounds bad..no pedals will improve it...you can flame me but I'm just here to speak the truth. if you have experience in playing and live gigging then you will agree...If not, you will learn sometimes...

And dimebags' sound is a lot more than an SS amp...

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Exactly, good tone is in your ear. TS might not realise the studio sounds of guitarists are almost unachievable using just an amp and pedals, so much things go into it, from using dif speakers, cabs, heads, guitars, pickups and eqing all shape it, I'm willing to bet its the amp, digital amps generally don't handle pedals well.
TBH, the clean channel on my Marshall MG15CF handled my distortion pedal well, although time-based effects were kinda meh. My friend let me borrow his H&K Edition blue 60 for a bit, clean took pedals great but the drive channel was god AWFUL.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
That line6 spider is a beginners amp, it sounds bad..no pedals will improve it...you can flame me but I'm just here to speak the truth. if you have experience in playing and live gigging then you will agree...If not, you will learn sometimes...

And dimebags' sound is a lot more than an SS amp...
We aren't flaming. We are telling you to be constructive, not destructive in your criticism of the OPs pedal count. I have almost 10 pedals, does that make me not know what I'm talking about? If I just said, "Get rid of the amp, get rid of all your pedals and buy a good tube amp" that's not being helpful.

Oh and I have played in live situations, not as a gigging musician but I have live experience. i'm forced to use whatever amps are there, and usually they are Marshall Valvestates or Jazz choruses. I don't like the JC so I use the valvestate. I'd much rather use my new tube amp though.

Yes Dimebag's sound is more than just a solid state amp. He used pedals to shape his sound. I'm making a point: Don't trash SS just because they aren't right for you. Line 6 amps aren't terrible, plenty of musicians use them. My personal experience with them is limited but what I HAVE heard from them I didn't like.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts