Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been on my mind for the past few months. There are so many awesome shows that go on in and around the Boston Area. But the age limits baffle me. There is a festival called Together and some of the events are 21+, which is ok because they are serving drinks and stuff. But there are other shows that are 19+. What is with that? Why not make it 18+? Is there a reason why some venues choose to up the age limit by 1 year to decrease potential ticket sales?? I dont get this, not only for Boston venues, but venues everywhere.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
There are some venues that are liscened to sell alcohol, and in your state the legal smoking age must be 19 (like it is in Alabama) and as a liability the show has to be 19+ instead of 18+ because smoking is allowed in the bars (and probably shooting pool), so they will put "Xs" on the underage kids hands so they can smoke if they want but not buy alcohol. It's a venue liability thing.

If it was 18+ and and they found underage kids smoking and an alcohol board member was in the venue and caught them, the bar would lose their liquor license, and it costs extra money for a bar be licesned to do all ages shows (which most bars will never pay since 85-90% of their income comes from booze.)

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I've heard of a lot of communities that have curfews set to 19, Boston might be one of them. The reasoning, as far as I know, is that the folks in charge don't want high school students out late and most people are still in high school when they turn 18.

I don't agree with it, but that's my bust guess as to "why."

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are some venues that are liscened to sell alcohol, and in your state the legal smoking age must be 19 (like it is in Alabama) and as a liability the show has to be 19+ instead of 18+ because smoking is allowed in the bars (and probably shooting pool), so they will put "Xs" on the underage kids hands so they can smoke if they want but not buy alcohol. It's a venue liability thing.

If it was 18+ and and they found underage kids smoking and an alcohol board member was in the venue and caught them, the bar would lose their liquor license, and it costs extra money for a bar be licesned to do all ages shows (which most bars will never pay since 85-90% of their income comes from booze.)
Well the smoking age in Boston, and Vegas(cuz thats where im from) is 18+ so I can't see why there would be a problem with 18 year olds smoking at the venues. There has to be something else that makes it why they dont start the age limit at 18.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts