Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have owned this RG for almost 3 years now, and I have never cleaned the body or the neck (shocking I know). I have had it set up a few times and I do wipe it down after I practice, but this is only recently. I saw some gunk on a saddle on the Edge Pro and I wiped it and the saddle was no longer black, it turned light grey. I need some cleaning fluid recommendations for the body and the fretboard and the hardware.

The body is mahogany with a maple top and the fretboard is rosewood. What shall I use to give it a good clean? how about the frets? do I use steel wool?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
When I buy a used guitar with a gunked up fretboard, I use Orange Clean or Liquid Gold wood cleaner, an old toothbrush and elbow grease.

The tech area on Rich's Ibanez Rules site is a great resource for cleaning and restoring neglected guitars. Check it out before you get started.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was just searching some old topics, and I think I will clean up the trem using an old toothbrush, well a new one, I also noticed that Rich does it too.

As for cleaning the entire fretboard with lemon oil, I will do it in the direction of the grain, do I do it between the frets or all over going over the frets? also how much should I apply and how much effort should I be putting?

I have read over old topics and it appears that many have different methods...how do I remove excess oil? should I leave it to dry naturally over night?

Any help much appreciated, sorry for my lack of knowledge! ha.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I wouldn't use straight lemon oil to clean the fretboard. You'll end up with an oily mess. Just use a quality wood cleaner and a soft toothbrush to loosen the gunk, working with the grain. When it's nice and fluid, wipe it off with a soft cotton rag. The blue or green used surgical cloths work better than old terry cloth towels or washcloths. The wood cleaners (Scott's Liquid Gold and Orange Clean), have natural oils in them and you shouldn't have to re-oil the fretboard after the cleaning is finished. These also work well on finished maple boards as well.

As for the trem and other metal hardware, strip the trem down as far as you feel comfortable and soak it with WD-40. The gunk and grime will wipe off easily and a toothbrush will get in the nooks and crannies. After the metal parts are clean, wipe them down with another soft cloth and use a cotton swab to get into the tighter areas and absorb the excess WD-40. As for the tuners, you shouldn't have to submerge them, just spray and wipe.

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
after i clean fretboard (spirits if it is really bad or .0000 steel wool) i use bore oil that is commonly found at band/music stores for the inside of woodwinds. there are other things to use as i'm sure someone will tell you here. Rich has a great tutorial on his website - if only he got a nickel everytime someone used it!
i taped the frets off with masking tape as he describes and used .0000 steel wool last week to clean up my VBK (polish the frets). it worked great! make sure you mask off the pickups too so the residual wool doesn't stick to them.
just click the banner for Ibanez Rules at the top and follow his lead in his tech pages.
post a pic when you get her cleaned up. we'd love to see before and after shots.
TJ

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.