Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far they still stay in tune and look ok, I don't know if this is because I don't play enough or I don't sweat very much lol I usually play at least 1 hour a day

I dread changing strings, is not difficult, but for a setup noob is stressful especially with a floating trem, then you have to really stretch them and it won't stay in perfect tune when they're new regardless of who does the setup, they won't stay as in tune as weeks old strings, so you have to go through that process all over again

·
Registered
866 Posts
I don't change strings too often either. Usually between 6 and 12 months. And that's basically because cleaning up the fretboard and frets. I don't like the brightness of new strings except on my acoustic guitar.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Thats nasty! Lol

J/k.

I go about 6 to 8 on mine, but i use elixirs.
The lesser played ones easily go over a year between changes.

Regular strings? 30 days tops. Usually, i get 2 weeks before they are nasty feeling.

Fowleri, do your fingers smell after you play those old strings? Old string tarnish stinks.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Thats nasty! Lol

J/k.

Regular strings? 30 days tops. Usually, i get 2 weeks before they are nasty feeling.

Fowleri, do your fingers smell after you play those old strings? Old string tarnish stinks.
I regularly apply coconut oil on my strings/fretboard to keep them slick (and it cleans them, reduces oxidation). The only time my fingers stick is when...

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Same here... I have a couple of guitars with Elixirs that have had strings for a couple of years, but I rarely play them. Even Elixirs go dead after a while, but I can get a year if I clean them every now and then with the Dunlop stuff.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I have one guitar i play all the time. Even with regular cleaning that needs changing pretty often. Once the wound strings get little dent in them you're on borrowed time.

The guitars i rotate in and out can do over a year though. And the bass I actively prefer old strings on.

My friend swears by elixers but I don't like the feel or think they're worth the mark up. Regular Rotosound for electric and Martin for acoustic. Avoid the cheap junk ones from Amazon.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Well I have 26 guitars in regular rotation. If I have a gig ( which I haven’t for 3 years now) I will change the strings the night before.

Just playing at home, I will change them when I break a string, or they start feeling crummy, with flat spots. The guitars that I play a lot out of the get the strings changed about every 40 to 60 hours. That’s playing an hour or two a day on them, if I don’t break one first.

My Classical hardly gets played at all these days, It‘s had the same strings on it for over a year. It only gets played about an hour a week. I use a custom set assembled from individual strings. My Custom set costs just under 45 bucks to make, the bulk of the cost is the bass strings which have a high silver content.

I use Ernie Ball Cobalts for most of my electric guitars. Those are 10 bucks a crack, and they seem to last a long time.

On my 79 strat I use EB pure nickel, and those wear out really fast. Like in2 to 3 weeks. Those are about 7 bucks a set.

Everything else gets regular Ernie Ball or D’Addario.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Same here... I have a couple of guitars with Elixirs that have had strings for a couple of years, but I rarely play them. Even Elixirs go dead after a while, but I can get a year if I clean them every now and then with the Dunlop stuff.
Elixirs go dead? Ahhhh, go on........

I have never had a "dead" string like i do with EBs or D'addarios. I consider a string dead when it gets hard to get harmonics, and you get a dull thud.

Elixirs are different.

I change them when the divots worn by the frets look like they're gonna pop the windings from the wound strings.
It only when the new strings go on, that i realize the old ones were dead. Its so gradual with elixirs.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Elixirs go dead? Ahhhh, go on........

I have never had a "dead" string like i do with EBs or D'addarios. I consider a string dead when it gets hard to get harmonics, and you get a dull thud.

Elixirs are different.

I change them when the divots worn by the frets look like they're gonna pop the windings from the wound strings.
It only when the new strings go on, that i realize the old ones were dead. Its so gradual with elixirs.
I totally agree, it is very different... but I have a guitar that has had a set of Elixirs on it for a couple of years that has finally hit that wall. Just sounds dead and dull! First set of Elixirs that I left on long enough to get that bad...

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Speaking of coated strings, if you don’t like the ”encased in plastic” feel of the elixirs. D’Addario makes a coated string that feels like a normal string. The difference being that the metal for the windings are coated before they’re wrapped around the core. I buy those ones for my acoustic guitar. Also no big plastic chunks to fall off as they wear. The coating is only a couple of microns thick on those strings.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Speaking of coated strings, if you don’t like the ”encased in plastic” feel of the elixirs. D’Addario makes a coated string that feels like a normal string. The difference being that the metal for the windings are coated before they’re wrapped around the core. I buy those ones for my acoustic guitar. Also no big plastic chunks to fall off as they wear. The coating is only a couple of microns thick on those strings.
Interesting... I don't play my acoustic very often, but want nice bright strings on it. Might have to try them... My nephew likes to play it and afterwards the strings corrode. Kids these days...

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just use regular Daddario that came with the guitar lol but that’s what I put on my other Ibanez as well. Never tried Elixir but wouldn’t changing to a different brands make it more likely for your setup to change

i set up my guitar like i wanted them and i feel like theyre at the perfect spot for me, i dont want something changing the setup and may be difficult to go back to it to the millimeter

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just don’t like how when you put new strings, it can take a while for them to stay in tune. You have to stretch a lot, even then, is just part of the process waiting for the strings to settle in.

Right now, I haven’t tuned my guitar in like 5 or 6 weeks, I grabbed my tuner just to check and is in perfect tune on the dot, like I was surprised thats pretty good for strings this old lol

·
Registered
186 Posts
Polyweb
Nanoweb
Optiweb

The optiweb has the thinnest coating of the three, and does not flake off. I switched from nanos after 1 pack of optiwebs lasted me the 6 month norm that elixirs give me.

Not necessarily... As long as your string gauges are the same your setup should be fine.
Oh hell no! Lol

Different sting brands most definitely intonate differently. Elixirs don't intonate like ernie balls at the same gauges. The wound ones are the most likely too, since the core size and wrap gauge differ.

I just don’t like how when you put new strings, it can take a while for them to stay in tune. You have to stretch a lot, even then, is just part of the process waiting for the strings to settle in.

Right now, I haven’t tuned my guitar in like 5 or 6 weeks, I grabbed my tuner just to check and is in perfect tune on the dot, like I was surprised thats pretty good for strings this old lol
Try elixirs.

You get 85% of the tone from a regular set of strings initially, but it stays that way for a really long time. Most guys like new strings after the die a bit, right?

Whereas regular strings die in weeks, elixirs go months. They don't ever get dull and grippy either.

The tension is different, like 9.5s compared to 9s. Its something you easily get used to. Once you experience 3 months on a set of strings, you get really used to it.

Imagine 5 or 6 months?

Imagine one string change every 4 to 6 months. If their installed in a good floyd system, they will stay in tune for the whole time, once they are fully stretched. It's crazy.

Yes, i like elixirs.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.