Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
find a song you like, find out what key it is in, and see what ideas the guitarist is using.
personally i think a good teacher is necessary to get your theory/technique up to a level where you are fairly confident, and from there you can figure out a lot on your own (i have no idea what level you are at, so this may not be helpful)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well I've just started learning theory I've got modes down....and I've just been kind of lost on how I can like improvise through the modes to come up with a good lead....but yeah that song idea is what Ive been thinking about and sounds like a solid idea.....would you have any songs in mind that can help?

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
about modes .... I think you need to play the song which the guitarist is playing for example if you want to play lydian, play vai's music like kim pee du wee or boston rain melody, if phrgyian try playing some of al di meola's

·
Registered
858 Posts
1) Buy a Fender G-DEC (if you can - they are about $265) and you can play along with the built in jam tracks and it tells you what key you are in or if you like the rhythm, you can change the rhythm to another key. I think it's one of the best ways to practice the modes and your improvisation.

2) If you can't afford that, you can try to find some jam tracks other places. There are some guitar books these days that come with jam tracks.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Getting started is always the hardest, I'm not too sure what mindset to tell you to go in to get started, but I'm trying to work on it, maybe some of the others can tell you more on that for the time being.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Sam101 said:
well I've just started learning theory I've got modes down....and I've just been kind of lost on how I can like improvise through the modes to come up with a good lead....but yeah that song idea is what Ive been thinking about and sounds like a solid idea.....would you have any songs in mind that can help?
first off, do you know your minor pentatonic scale? i'd check out AC DC. i could NEVER bring myself to listen to that band, but i think there is a lot to learn because there songs are very simple, but well done.

do you have a teacher?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not to sound critical, but you say you have modes down, but don't know what to do with them. You're making the same mistake many guitarists do. Take it easy and don't expect to know modes overnight. I'd personally start with one and learn it. Then work with it for awhile until you actually hear the feel of the mode. You probably have been told to simply play a major scale but start on a different root. The problem with that is you'll end up soundiing like the original key and wont get the feel of the mode you're after. Find out what makes a particular mode different from it's major (or minor) counterpart. For instance, lydian has a raised 4th. That gives it a much different sound from a major. Play c major, then learn C Lydian instead of playing C major and starting on the F. Work with it for awhile. There's no need to get all modes down right away. You may very possibly never play some of them anyway.

Get the major scale, minor scale down and you've got two modes right there. But don't think that you have them down until you've played them and can recognize them from eachother regardless of which note you start on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.