Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recap: Bought an RG1570, came with a TZ(b) & AN(n) but I wasn't crazy about the sound so I decided to replace the pups. Did a bunch of research, read the forums blah blah blah..Long story short looks like every where I read, it says I need an f-spaced or trembucker for the bridge.

Now for the observation. Got me a SH-2 for the neck & a TB-6 for the bridge but it looks larger than the TZ. Lucky for me the seller included the original V7 & V8 pups. I go grab the stock pups to compare, sure enough, same spacing as the TZ. So it seems that stock the Ibby comes with regular spacing pups which would mean that the larger spacing is unnecessary. Maybe I missed it but I don't recall reading that or seeing that mentioned in the forums here before.

Oh well, as soon as I put this thing back together I let you know if the spacing is any better with F/TB as opposed to the regular spacing.

·
Premium Member
9,591 Posts
I havent seen your observation anywhere but the whole F-spaced/non f spaced thing has been beaten to death.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree it has been beaten to death. I've read most of the "discussions" which is why I was surprised that no one mentioned before that STOCK, at least on my RG1570, the pups come regular spaced. I can't speak for everyone but it only took me 30 seconds to figure it out. Especially since the V7 & the V8 have the exact same spacing. If the bridge were F/TB spaced the poles would be wider apart on the V8.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll have to take some pictures tomorrow because to my eye the poles on the V8/7 line up perfectly with my regular spaced SD SH-2 as well as the TZ & AN and the pups all appear to be the same size. Where you can see right away that poles on the TB-6 are much wider apart. The whole pup is actually noticeably bigger. Maybe SD spaces them differently. I'll measure in the morning.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Didn't get a chance to make any measurements yet, was too busy playing with the new pups :)

However I do have some photos. The first being a stock photo so you can how the stock pups fit & line up: http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd260/zepsongs/RG1570/RG1570NRML.jpg

The 2nd being the photo of my guitar with the newly installed SD pups. Regular spacing neck, trembucker bridge: http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd260/zepsongs/RG1570/RG1570TB.jpg

As you can see the TB lines up practically dead center where the stock V8 is off to the sides a bit. What does all this mean? Who knows! Ibanez seems perfectly content shipping their guitars this way and I know a vast many of the people here are happy as well. Make you own judgment but as far as I am concerned it doesn't matter what type/size pup you have installed as long as you like the tone :)

·
Registered
597 Posts
I once ordered a TB-11 for an Original Edge equipped RG. The seller sent me an SH-11 by mistake, but I went ahead and installed it anyway. Go figure, it worked perfectly fine. I may be wrong, but my understanding is that the difference between F-spaced and normal is almost entirely aesthetic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts