Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while ago I wrote a thread about Carvin guitars and now today I went to a guitar store(to try some guitars just for fun) and what a suprise! They had Carvin guitars and amps there!

Well at first I tried used Ibanez JPM100 P4, which was really great guitar. It had really stiff action, I guess 11 gauge strings or something. Sounded really great and played well, I guess I was shredding with it for about 30mins. Price wasn't too bad 1090 euros and it was in really good condition including hard case.

After the JMP I decided to try Carvin. It had mahogany body/neck, ebony board, quilted maple top, two hums, hardtail bridge, gold hardware. When I pluged it in I was amazed! It sounded so gorgeus and it played better than any other guitar I have ever tried. Truely amazing guitar!!! Sound was just fantastic and it was really really beautiful too! I fell in love with that guitar, I can't really imagine any better guitar! I can't even tell you enough well how great guitar it actually was. It was fun to play, great action and every way perfect guitar, price was 1990 euros, pretty much but still that guitar was easily worth it. So I guess my next guitar is going to be Carvin.

If you ever have a change to buy Carvin, buy it! I'm going to order one from Carvin. Probably DC127 or DC400. JUST STUNNING GUITAR!!!

·
Registered
873 Posts
i was going to buy a carvin, because some of their instruments are absoultely beautiful.. but.. then i played one and i hated the neck carve. so i emailed them and asked about custom neck carves, and their reponse was simply.. "No.." nothing else.. haha. i guess they didn't liek that idea.. but. if you like their necks.. they are great guitars

·
Registered
517 Posts
Yes bro there a good sounding guitar & feel great to play! my DC 7 stringer just kicks butt & i love to play it when i get sick of the same tone, i must try the one's you mention out,- i mite just buy one in a 6 stringer i don't have a 6 in Carvin guitars, thanks for the reveiw bro.

Cheers- Jake.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I think you read my thread about the DC127 I bought in January ;)

I'm still impressed with that guitar. The pickups (whatever they are) sound really excellent clean or with a little overdrive to them but are a little harsh with a lot of gain. They get a killer fuzzy overdriven fusion tone which is cool!

·
Registered
517 Posts
red5 said:

I'm still impressed with that guitar. The pickups (whatever they are) sound really excellent clean or with a little overdrive to them but are a little harsh with a lot of gain. They get a killer fuzzy overdriven fusion tone which is cool!
I must look into it, sounds good, can't wait to try it out now!
Thanks bro -(you good dude you!)

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
red5 said:

Oh yeah, I read that!:) The action is really good, easy to play.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
jaken777 said:
I must look into it, sounds good, can't wait to try it out now!
Thanks bro -(you good dude you!)
My only thing is, I kind of wish it had a Floyd (or even a Wilkinson) trem on it. The fixed bridge is easy enough to use though....

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah! Great, I just talked with my dad and he agreed with me that we should order Carvin for me. So with in few next days I will be placing an order. Finally my dream is coming true!:mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
adamcbest said:
i was going to buy a carvin, because some of their instruments are absoultely beautiful.. but.. then i played one and i hated the neck carve. so i emailed them and asked about custom neck carves, and their reponse was simply.. "No.." nothing else.. haha. i guess they didn't liek that idea.. but. if you like their necks.. they are great guitars
I sanded my one neck down (their big shouldered "D" shape of a few years ago). Now it's NIIICE. My newer neck hasn't been sanded, as it's pretty close as is. I'm sure one day I'll just go ahead & do it, though.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
jim777 said:
My DC400. I'd love to get a CT6, but until then I've got a 727 ordered in the triple step blue the CT's come in.

Hey Jim, did you ever do a review of the DC400? I was considering buying one, but a quick search on the internet makes it seem like not many people have one. I would love to get one as my next guitar, and your model seemed to pop out - great options to customize and great value. Is the floyd recessed? How do the stock pups sound? How's the neck compare to a Jem's? your advice would be greatly appreciated :D

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
only thing I dont like about that carvin in the picture is the floyd has no locking nut and sperzels just dont cut it for me..

I have a old carvin ill get pictures tonight when I get home from work. I bought it about 10 years ago and its still my main axe. I need a guitar with a floyd bad though.. LOL

·
Registered
839 Posts
shredfreak said:
Well at first I tried used Ibanez JPM100 P4, which was really great guitar. It had really stiff action, I guess 11 gauge strings or something.
JPMs are usually that stiff. I guess Petrucci needs heavier trem springs because otherwise his subtle JazzIII picks (as in ICBM picking) would constantly slap the strings to the frets so hard that it would seriously affect his tone. Makes the guitars feel like tools instead of musical instruments, and that's why I hate JPMs...well that and the stupid switch lol. Instead of having a nice little conversation with your guitar you end up producing a bunch of notes.

·
Super Moderator
9,758 Posts
shredfreak said:
Yeah! Great, I just talked with my dad and he agreed with me that we should order Carvin for me. So with in few next days I will be placing an order. Finally my dream is coming true!:mrgreen:
Think hard about what you want, because changing anything once you've ordered your guitar costs 50 bucks. So, if you decide to change the color (like I did!) it's an additional 120 bucks.
You can get all of the triple step stains they advertise for the CT6 for about 70 bucks, and I think it's worth it. You also (currently, anyway) have your choice of 12", 14" and 20" fretboard radii, though I believe the 20" is an additional 80 dollars. Another non-advertised choice is a mahogany neck. My 727 will have a 2 piece mahogany neck with a tung oil finish. Get the stainless frets, as well ;)

jim

·
Super Moderator
9,758 Posts
ChopTart said:
Hey Jim, did you ever do a review of the DC400? I was considering buying one, but a quick search on the internet makes it seem like not many people have one. I would love to get one as my next guitar, and your model seemed to pop out - great options to customize and great value. Is the floyd recessed? How do the stock pups sound? How's the neck compare to a Jem's? your advice would be greatly appreciated :D
It's an amazing guitar, really. I pulled this one out of the 'Bay, for less than half the price of a new one. The pickups are fantastic, the floyd is recessed, and the neck is also very easy to play. It's nowhere near as thin as an Ibanez bolt on neck, but it's not as big as an N4 neck or a Nocaster either. It's just as fast as a wizard, and a bit easier to play chords on. My only gripe with it is the trem itself; it's dead flat. The fretboard has a radius to it, but the trem doesn't. It's an easy fix, but it's a fix you need to make. The action on this guitar is just silly, close to the best action I've ever played. I'll see about getting a proper review up soon.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
jim777 said:
Think hard about what you want, because changing anything once you've ordered your guitar costs 50 bucks. So, if you decide to change the color (like I did!) it's an additional 120 bucks.
You can get all of the triple step stains they advertise for the CT6 for about 70 bucks, and I think it's worth it. You also (currently, anyway) have your choice of 12", 14" and 20" fretboard radii, though I believe the 20" is an additional 80 dollars. Another non-advertised choice is a mahogany neck. My 727 will have a 2 piece mahogany neck with a tung oil finish. Get the stainless frets, as well ;)

jim
Good advice to be sure when ordering. ANY radii change from 12" is $40 (technically $80, but it's ALWAYS "half off").

I agree on the steel frets - I have 2 Carvin necks with them, and I love 'em!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.