Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the line Ibanez AZ essentials. And I ordered one. I really shouldn’t have, as I have another guitar that should be here soon. I usually buy SSS pickups in stratty guitars. But in order to get the trem, I had to go with a hum bucker in the bridge.

I hope the trem is usable on this model. It doesn’t really matter though. I will do a level and crown and polish before I set her up. I will make sure the nut slots are proper. Hopefully the neck doesn’t need to be shimmed.

It will make a great bar guitar, since I sold my last bar guitar a couple of days ago. And, when my grand son outgrows is 3/4 electric, I can give it to him, but that will be a year or more down the road. He is 11. So it shouldn’t take too long. His 3/4 fits him perfectly right now. He is going to be tall I think. He’s almost as tall as his mom right now.

This guitar is cheap. It cost me less than 300 bucks.

I wonder if any of you have seen this model. It an AZES40.
Musical instrument String instrument String instrument accessory Guitar accessory String instrument

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yeah, this Is my 7th Ibanez purchase since joining this forum. I tend to test drive the brands sometimes. I did it with Kramer. I tried every model in their line up of reissues. I bought a Baretta, Baretta Special, Focus, a 1984, a NightSwan dot, and an SM-1, and 2 Pacers.

The Baretta and 84 got sent back due to damage. The Baretta Special and Focus got flipped. The SM-1 got sold. I kept the Nightswan and the two Vintage Pacers, and gave one of the Pacers to my son. I may get another Nightswan in a different finish.

I love my polka dot. I had to do major work to it when I got it, but they knocked 200 bucks of the price. So I got paid to do work on it. It needed fret leveling, crown and polish. The Floyd nut was too high, and I had to remove wood from under the nut to lower it so my cowboy chords could play in tune. I had removed a good amount of wood, strung it up, but it wasn’t enough. So I had to take it apart and remove a little more.

Also, they didn’t even attempt to adjust the saddles for intonation. They came all straight in a line. Luckily I have to tool for adjusting that. Best 20 bucks I ever gave StewMac.
Sleeve Darth vader Armour Personal protective equipment Machine

·
Registered
700 Posts
You might be one of the first on the forum to get one (thread on them is a bit further down in the sub-forum). I am interested in hearing what they're like. There's a few YT vids about them now, but people are all 'man, this thing is amazing for the $$', which, it might be, but the $300 market is tough, there's lots of well spec'd guitars in this bracket, and the main thing these ESs have that's different is the pu switching system, scale length and neck shape.

I can see that they might be good for some mods, and people who already have a Premium or Prestige AZ may go for them, also as there's no other SSS.

One thing that might impede tuning stability off the bat is those metal string trees. The rounded bent saddles are a good touch though, they seem to be double threaded too.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You might be one of the first on the forum to get one (thread on them is a bit further down in the sub-forum). I am interested in hearing what they're like. There's a few YT vids about them now, but people are all 'man, this thing is amazing for the $$', which, it might be, but the $300 market is tough, there's lots of well spec'd guitars in this bracket, and the main thing these ESs have that's different is the pu switching system, scale length and neck shape.

I can see that they might be good for some mods, and people who already have a Premium or Prestige AZ may go for them, also as there's no other SSS.

One thing that might impede tuning stability off the bat is those metal string trees. The rounded bent saddles are a good touch though, they seem to be double threaded too.
‘I will probably replace the trees with roller ones from stew Mac. They have worked really well for me in the past.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I am retired and I don’t have anything else to spend my money on lol. I have at present 22 guitars. I have sold or traded 7 guitars this year so far, 5 since joining this forum 3 months ago.

·
Registered
9,335 Posts
I'm keen to read your thoughts on this. I'm definitely interested in them, even though I'd prefer 25.5" scale and a maple fretboard. But they look very cool, and would still consider getting a tremolo model. The string and screw spacing is 2-1/16" from what I've read, so there should be the ability to switch out the trem with some of the Strat parts if the bridge doesn't seem the greatest.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm keen to read your thoughts on this. I'm definitely interested in them, even though I'd prefer 25.5" scale and a maple fretboard. But they look very cool, and would still consider getting a tremolo model. The string and screw spacing is 2-1/16" from what I've read, so there should be the ability to switch out the trem with some of the Strat parts if the bridge doesn't seem the greatest.
I originally ordered the one with the trem, but changed my mind at the last minute.

I went with the hard tail because it was the only way to get sss pups. My very first guitar was an Ibanez Roadstar II RS 100. It was SSS and Hardtail, and the body was ply wood. If it turns out I like it, I will buy one for my son. I will review it when it gets here. I need a Hardtail for playing a couple of songs when I play out (which hasn’t happened since Covid.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts