Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few questions about the JEM7VWH i need answered first. These may be FAQs so bear with me :)

1. Does the gold finish on the hardware wear out easily? and can it be protected from wearing off?

2. Does it have a good clean sound? Im not looking for something amazing, just a decent clean sound. Right now i use an RG350, and i use my Dimarzio Blue Velvet middle single coil for cleans, and it sounds pretty damn good. How does the Evolution s.c. sound by itself?

3. How does the Edge pro bridge on the JEM compare with the edge pro 2?

4. Is the monkey grip strong? i dont want it breaking on me (probably a stupid question)

Anyway, thats about it. Thank you in advance for any advice :D

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
1. Does the gold finish on the hardware wear out easily? and can it be protected from wearing off?
I have a new 7VWH for three years now and the hardware still looks new. I just use a cloth and some spit ;) Sounds gross, i know... But it does the job superb! Google it if you like and you will be amazed by the cleaning results of spit.

2. Does it have a good clean sound? Im not looking for something amazing, just a decent clean sound. Right now i use an RG350, and i use my Dimarzio Blue Velvet middle single coil for cleans, and it sounds pretty damn good. How does the Evolution s.c. sound by itself?
I sounds just fine clean. Position 2,3, and 4 are really usable clean sounds. You can even get some jazz sounds from the neck. Imo my 7VWH sounds better than my USA strat.

3. How does the Edge pro bridge on the JEM compare with the edge pro 2?
Sorry, i never played with an Edge Pro 2. The Edge Pro is one of best trems out there though!

4. Is the monkey grip strong? i dont want it breaking on me (probably a stupid question)
Yes, it's strong :)

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
You sound like a kid going to buy his 1st bike! Its a supurb clean sound, the gold will wear but you have YEARS to worry. You wont break the monkey grip!

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
The gold will wear but is greatly reduced by thoroughly wiping down after every use i find!
Nothing wrong with the edge-pro either. Despite people may prefer other trems this is a perfectly good trem.

·
Registered
80 Posts
In short, you're comparing one of Ibanez' lower end guitars (no offense) to one of their highest quality guitars ... and yet you have concerns?!?! :?

1. Not easily. But make sure to wipe it off with a soft cloth after each gig. Spit is totally optional! :lol:

2. Listen to Vai. An AMAZING array of clean sounds.

3. The Edge Pro is the best bridge currently being produced on the planet. The "2" ... not so much.

4. Strong enough to hold the weight of a Jem forever. Not strong enough to tow a car with though ... I'm guessing. :wink:

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I've never regretted buying my jem and don't consider it as over priced. In fact it's the guitar I play the most :)

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
This is a rather silly comment considering the (over) price of a JEM.
Dee......you should rename yourself Percival:lol:

Unrelent - I have a 2000 vwh and the gold hardware is as it was. No wear at all and it's a quite traveled guitar. (UK and back a few times)

I think that the trem wear has a lot to do with sweat. My hands don't sweat. (lucky I guess) If you have "clammy palm syndrome" it'd be a good idea to wipe the trem down after sessions;)

The monkey grip will NOT break:lol: I use mine extensivly and really miss it when I play someone elses guitar;)

It's highly functional (at least for me:) )

·
Registered
357 Posts
The JEM is an incredible guitar. You'd be lucky just to have the opportunity to own one. Most will never get to.

Now regarding the gold coming off the bridge. Uh, yes, it will "eventually" come off. Study the 2nd law of thermodynamics and increasing entropy. In layman's terms it's the fact that ALL things in this universe degrade. So, yes the gold will come off, ...eventually, lol. Unless you just want to buy it to look at and keep locked up in a showroom case. But, ...do you ask this question before you buy anything else? This is the last thing you should be worried about IMO. The other's posts about this are accurate regarding cleaning and palm moisture.

Just remember, ...if that's your standards for buying something uber sweet, ...you'll never own anything uber sweet, lol. Like, a house, a fine car, ...whatever.

Hope that takes that issue out of your equation and makes your decision way easier. If you like the way it feels, buy the thing and play it till the wheels fall off! (okay, ...this only applies to cars but you get the point) The trem is a gem (yes, bad pun, i know) and the pickups are insanely versatile for cleans and distorted tones. It's just one of the best guitars available in the world, IMO.

·
Registered
240 Posts
that usually gets me in trouble :lol:
Hehe i dont mind, i scared about the gold finish on the hardware but its ok, if it wears off i cant do anything. About clean sound, really good and pickup selector gives me too much options. (in my point of view) Not good as fender's but all we know both them are different. If i think about my old old trs tremolo, edge pro amazing!
It has 2700$ price tag in here. Its over priced? Yes. But thats my one and only guitar. I paid this cause i cant find any guitar in here. This was the best guitar i found in here. Now its been 9 months and im pleased.
If i be "Unrelent" i dont stuck in these questions too much. Thats why i said "Don't think about it, just buy it".

(my english not very good i apologise about that.)

·
Super Moderator
9,696 Posts
I would get a used one and save a few bucks myself. I got a MINT (like, 10 hours playtime on it) '01 last year for $1100. Swapped in some Bartolinis, and I had one of the best playing and sounding 6 strings I've ever touched for far less than the price of a new one. And, I got the ebony board I wanted as well. ;)

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Unrelent - I have a 2000 vwh and the gold hardware is as it was. No wear at all and it's a quite traveled guitar. (UK and back a few times)

I think that the trem wear has a lot to do with sweat. My hands don't sweat. (lucky I guess) If you have "clammy palm syndrome" it'd be a good idea to wipe the trem down after sessions;)
I agree. It also has alot to do with the chemical makeup of your sweat. Some people actually have more salt in their sweat than others.

I too don't have sweaty hands, and I found that my gold trem only started wearing away and corroding after I let one of my friend's play my guitar. lol

·
Registered
324 Posts
Remember, you're on JEM site so the answers you're going to get are a bit slanted. If you can get one for $1100 or there about's its a good guitar. The gold on my VWH is really worn but I gig 3-4 times a week and play that guitar a lot and my hand is always resting on the trem.

If you're going to buy new and need a good clean sound and amazing playing guitar look into a used Suhr. Hands down one of the best playing guitars I've ever had my hands on, including my beloved VWH.

I really love my Iby but I do have better playing and constructed guitars in my collection that are about the same price.

But directly, yeah, the gold does ware, it has an ok clean sound when you split the coils but if you want a good humbucker clean you'll have to put in something else. Evo's are way too hot for a good clean. The edge pro rocks and the monkey grip can take all the abuse you can throw at it.

Dave

1 - 20 of 22 Posts