Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remember that one? The ol' Reb Beach model. That was a very cool looking guitar. I feel it would be a little cooler with sharper edges like the Jems and RG insteadof what it had which reminded me a bit of the old EX seres body edges. Also, 24 frets would be most excellent. I'm sure many would appreciate a choice between H-H, H-S-S, and H-S-H configurations. That's all. I just happen to be thinking of it recently.

Mike 777 Haug

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
You actually miss those? LOL

The curves of the Voyager more than resemble the original EX line. The EXes were to the Voyager what the RG line was to the JEM. Same basic construction, minus the "signature" touches. This is why the EX series had 22 frets just like it's big brother the RBM, and also why the EX line had the more rounded edges.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Dennis!

Yeah, I do. They were cool looking but not really my cup of tea. If these were more Jem-like or RG-like, then I would be more into them.

Mike 777 Haug

·
Registered
8 Posts
I do too.. so, I got creative and made my own. This guitar was an awful orange, but I fixed it.. :lol:

I threw in a set of EMG's (they were handy) and it sounds great, it's an old RG560..

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have to sya, that's pretty cool! EXACTLY what I was thinking of. Personally I'd like H-S-H DiMarzio pickups but you obviously caught my drift!

Mike 777 Haug

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have one. Replaced the pickups with all Dimarzios. Its a dream, if it had 24 frets, it'd be my main one...but that's what my jem is for right now.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Here is my baby:

How can you possibly not love the shape of that guitar? The rounded edges are the perfect final touch in that awesome design.

The RBM2 was the best Ibanez had to offer at the time IMHO.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
ibanezcollector said:
good god almighty that neck is jaw dropping..

Well so is the whole guitar, but my god...

WHO MADE THAT?
It´s a VERY customized RBM1BK :)

I had it custom made by a couple of luthiers in Mexico.

Thanks for the complements. This is one of my favourite 3 guitars.

I just love the shape of the RBM guitars, it is a guitar ment to be with a natural finish IMHO. The RBM2 and the RBM400 are both beautifull.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
ibanezcollector said:
Do you have any contact info on these luthiers
I need to warn you, I spent almost a year wathcing their backs 2 or 3 times a week, spending 4,5 even 6 hours in the shop to get things done in time and according to my specs. So, I woulndt recomend buying from another country or even city. They can deliver the goods but you NEED to be there.

Every tiny little thing you see in the custom PGM and custom RBM was handpicked by me, the woods, the design of the neck, the inlays, the top, the kind of sunburst, etc, etc.

They did 2 necks because the 1rst one was flawed. They did the sunburst several times until they got the way I want, etc, etc. I mean, they can do pretty amazing instruments, but their quality is not very consistent.

Any good luthier can build you a neck like that, you just need to know exactly what to ask for. I ll go with a local unless you want to do an extremely expensive work. In that case, there is an argentian Luthier (the one that made the custom JPM, that has a more consistent quality).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts