Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MEGADRIVE?
I tried a few duncans(JB,DD,customs.demon,invader) and came to the conclusion that duncans are overated for the most part , not that they are bad but i feel the dimarzio or bill lawrence stuff is better suited for the metal stuff in passives
I need a pup for a RGT42FM(mahogany)
I am looking for tightness,aggression, and a real good tone for metal in the likes of slayer,megadeth,older metallica,lamb of god,pantera
the one thing that seems to be a problem with real high output pu"s is that you get either a great rhythm tone or a great lead tone but not both?
it seems to be one or the other with most aggressive high output pu's?
of the EVO,megadrive,500xl,Dsonic which has both to offer?
I need the pup to also be very responsive and drive the amp hard

·
Registered
296 Posts
"I need the pup to also be very responsive and drive the amp hard."

The first thing that comes to mind when I read that is, EVO. I think EVO will also balance out with the Mahogany.

·
Banned
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Angelo Guitars said:

The first thing that comes to mind when I read that is, EVO. I think EVO will also balance out with the Mahogany.
yeah i have heard before the EVO is a great pup overall for high output stuff
I am also real interested in the lawrence L-500XL
I have never tried one and keep hearing how great they are for metal and mahogany neck thru guitars?
essentially i need a passive that has some of the emg 81's traits like the tightness,aggression,quietness,
I know the output will be less than a 81 but i need the passive to have those other things going on

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Roadstar said:
yeah i have heard before the EVO is a great pup overall for high output stuff
I am also real interested in the lawrence L-500XL
I have never tried one and keep hearing how great they are for metal and mahogany neck thru guitars?
essentially i need a passive that has some of the emg 81's traits like the tightness,aggression,quietness,
I know the output will be less than a 81 but i need the passive to have those other things going on
Evos are great, Evo2 especially.

I too want to try an L-500XL. They are quite cheap to if I remember rightly.

Have you thought of Bareknuckle pickups. Their "Miracle Man" is supposed to emulate ZW in a passive pu. They are pretty good.

·
Registered
506 Posts

I don't think Evos totally fit the bill. I've tried the evo2 and its very compressed. Granted, it does drive the amp really hard, but if you drop the gain, you find yourself struggling to play those blues licks with conviction. Its just the amount of compression they have.

The Evo neck is diff... its got more dynamics, not as much as an Air Norton though.

Try www.has-sound.com the Viper. I bet you've read my posts on it. Its 13.5k , not overly hot but enough and it has great dynamics. Articulate, clear and it has bass! :) If you need clips or a demo, pm me.. there's skype or mp3.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Btw, I've tried the Megadrive before, in my Saber, mahogany.

I find it a very very nice pup if you like the tone flat-tish. In my Saber, I found my tone very normal. Flip it aruond, more bass. Its got some dynamics.

It performed better in the neck :)

·
Registered
314 Posts
The Bare Knuckle Pickup Miracle Man absolutly destroys the Evo's and 500XL and i've owned them all, It's far more responsive than the Evo and a helluva lot less compressed, differently voiced but still sounds reasonably similar actually great huge bottom end and a fantastic lead tone.

http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3941

^^ Theres a clip of me playing my Miracle Man bridge Pickup.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts