Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all. I´m new in this forum and it would be great if you could help me decide between some guitars I have seen. I´m a Heavy Metal player, I play instrumental things also. I was looking for a guitar with high output pickups, a flat neck and a good tremolo because I use sweep picking, tapping and a lot of shred-legato in my playing.

I have about 6 guitars from which I can´t decide which one to take. These are:

1) Ibanez Egen18
2) Ibanez Jem
3) Dean Vinman2000
4) Jackson PC model
5) Jackson RR1
6) Esp Gus G (not LTD)

Well there is one more brand but I don´t know much about it except the excelent reviews I´ve seen on different forums and those are the caparison guitars.

I know some are neckthrough, others are set in and others are bolt on guitars, and I´m aware of all the "sustain" issues and "prestige" arguments that say that a neckthrough guitar is automatically better that a bolt on guitar. Same with the USA made vs Japan made guitars. I made that list taking into consideration all of these things and the specs and how would the guitar suit my playing, but i need someone who really knows them, know their flaws and if someone played some of these even better.

Basically I´m looking to spend around 2000-2500 dollars. All of these guitars are in that range but it would be great if you could tell me your experiences with these guitars and maybe tell me if some are overpriced or give me some alternatives. Thanks.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have a Caparison Horus and it is the best purchase I have ever made :) I used to go to guitar center and drool over most of their higher end guitars, but now most of the time I play them I rather have my Horus. It took some getting used to the scale length, but the sound is great. I would definitely recommend a Caparison. I haven't played all of the guitars you listed, but based purely on specs I think I rather have a Horus.

So theres my biased opinion :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am going to recomend the Ibanez Jem. I have 2 of them and they are both great guitars. They stay in tune really well even when using the whammy bar. Around here most people will be biased toward the Ibanez guitars.

·
Banned
2,458 Posts
I would recommend an RG570 or better RG/Prestige over a JEM at this point. Not that Jems aren't nice. But you can get better value with a Prestige or even RG. In my opinion, One thing to consider about the Jem, it comes with the Vai stigma. It's Vai's guitar. It is a "signature guitar" 1st, and a great shred machine 2nd. Worth a test drive though. But go to guitar center and demo an RG1570.

Looking for 24 frets? Particular tone? There's Petrucci's Music Man to consider as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, thanks for the answers so far:

@Lifeofsobriety: good to know that. It seems like a great guitar but, as you said: it has 27 frets and I find it a bit odd, I prefer traditional neck scales (24 or 22 frets). I really didn´t know much about these guitars but then I saw the TATII and I flipped out, the only thing that bothered me about it is that some people who owns them or have tried them at music shops said that their necks are a bit thick in comparison with necks like Ibanez Wizards (but almost every neck is thick if you compare it with the wizard).

@dougj7: Yep, if one´s thing is for sure is that you can´t go wrong with a Jem, I mean it´s been around for more than 20 years and people still keep remembering it and most importantly, they keep buying it. But that´s why I want to compare a Jem with more modern guitars, to see if the quality and/or craftmanship of these kind of guitars have stayed the same or improved (Or even maybe gotten worse? Experienced players will know I hope).

@Darin: another thing with signature guitars is that no matter which model you choose you will be paying a bit more for just for the name on the headstock. That doesn´t mean you are not buying a top notch guitar but maybe for that same price or even lower there are better alternatives. And another thing, maybe a lot of you will agree with me: Doesn´t it feel a bit akward playing a signature guitar? Like "Oh look at that guy, he´s playing with a Jem, I´m sure he bought it because he thinks that he can play like Vai if he has his same guitar", perhaps it´s not even necessary to clarify that, I put the egen and the jem on my list because looking at their specs they are really amazing and they gather everything I want on a guitar. But the egen is fairly new, It´s not even remotely as know as the Jem, and that´s good for me.

I´ve seen the Egen18 topic in this forum and it surprised me the amount of bad comentaries about it, but the strangest thing was that these "critics" were something like "It´s something made for Li, that´s ***" or "Dragonforce songs are played with that guitar, if you buy it you suck" and so on. I hate Dragonforce, really, but I have to give it to Herman: he has come up with a very good instrument, at least on paper.

Regarding the Music Man: It seems like a great guitar, but there is something about the shape (Body and headstock) and the bridge that really draws me away from it, it´s basically a "stetic" issue I have with that guitar and that´s why I´m not listing it along with the others.

I´m really curious about the ESP model or the Vinnie Moore one. Has anyone played them? Or know if they are worth it?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I think the Caparison would be sweet - but about the scale length - they're either 25.5" or 24.75" - same as the usual strat vs. les paul scale lengths. The extra 3 frets are just bonus.

I'd look into the PC1 though - they're some of the nicest guitars I've seen (if you're not diggin the Caparisons). The neck is fatter than a regular Jackson or Ibanez though.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Hello MetalIcarus - and welcome to Jemsite. You will find excellent info and great people on this site.

All the guitars you listed will work for metal - many people like the Jackson sound which is slightly heavier than the Ibanez for the models you listed. Having said that, I would still recommend the Jem or RG series for this reason: you can get more different tones and even though you are currently into metal your tastes will probably change over time to accept different types of music. The Jem series offers amazing Strat tones, Les Paul-style tones and a host of others. Many of those other guitars you mentioned only offer one sound.
You also need to consider what amp you will be using -don't get a Fender tweed amp if your playing metal!
See you around,

~j

·
Registered
197 Posts
The caparison neck (at least on the horus) is very comparible to a jackson. However, it feels much more natural to me. Definitely a little thick compared to a wizard, but IMHO that is a good thing :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@waylay00:

Have you played it? The Vinman I mean, or do you own one of those? If so how would you compare it to the Egen18 or the PC-1?

@jemaholic:

Last night I was thinking the exact same thing: the RR1 and the Gus G. aren´t very versatile, besides I don´t think they are too much comfortable to play sit down.
I´m stuck between the Jem and the Egen but that´s enough for me (I´ll see if I´m lucky and I can find a Caparison), I´ll go to the shop and decide. About the amp: I´m going to buy the Jsx combo, I´ve heard it´s a very solid amp and better yet, it sounds good at low volumes, which is great to practice at home.

@Lifeofsobriety and ColinMmmmm:

Do you know where can I find the exact specs of the TATII neck?

Once again, thank you all.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
@waylay00:

Have you played it? The Vinman I mean, or do you own one of those? If so how would you compare it to the Egen18 or the PC-1?
Nope, but I've heard one played through an ENGL half stack from about ten feet away and it sounded heavenly. :lol:

But of those choices, I think it looks the best too. That's just me though.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
IMO, the vinman is the only dean guitar id even consider buying. lol. it has everything i want for a shredder style guitar

1 - 13 of 13 Posts