Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help me find some really cool cds! And I need a to know where I can get it too!

Im looking for some good melodic/shred/prog music!!! Im not a big fan of growling vocals though.

I have.....
Symphony X
Dragonforce
opeth
Stratovarious
primal fear
Dream Theater
Vai
John Petruccis solo stuff
Sun Caged
Racer X
Cradle of Filth
Shadow Gallary
Yngwie
Michael Angelo
Rusty Cooley
Francesisco Farari
and a few others I cant remember.

·
Registered
881 Posts
you probably have this already, but liquid tension. also, avenge sevenfold's latest has great playing AND no screaming (some complain about not screaming for some reason). for something a little different, what about greg howe? can't say enough about him.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Too bad you're not a Pat Metheny fan, or I would recommend 'Letter From Home'.

I think Michael Angelo has released a new album, but I forgot what it was. And you probably have this, but Vai's Passion and Warfare. Or Real Illusions: Reflections (that is, if you still don't have it).

·
Registered
881 Posts
elcid said:
Derek Sherinian's solo stuff
+1 sticking with keyboardists, jordan rudess' "rhythm of time" is definitely one of my favs, with lots of guest guitarists (vinnie moore, satch, steve morse, greg howe). its basically dream theater with more emphasis on keyboards doing leads.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Anything by King Crimson and Yes is a must. Also check out Devin Townshend's solo stuff. It's all less shreddy and neo-classical than what you have, but great proggy music.

As for neo-classical, George Bellas is another good player. You also might look at the source and get some Deep Purple with Ritchie Blackmore.

And for the craziest guitar playing you have ever heard, I would recommend something by Hellborg/Lane/Sipe (Personae or Time is the Enemy would be a good choice)

·
Registered
809 Posts
jemuniverse777 said:
Cacophony is one of my favorites, but you have to ignore the vocals.
Tony Macalpine and Jason Becker solo stuff.
Cacophony rocks and Vinnie Moore is worth of checking out. Then there is a band called CPR (Coven, Pitrelli, O'Reilly), fairly unknown band but they have some amazing songs and Steve Morse, Zakk Wylde played on their album, they play instrumetal prog fusion shredding hard rock/heavy.

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
shredfreak said:
Cacophony rocks and Vinnie Moore is worth of checking out. Then there is a band called CPR (Coven, Pitrelli, O'Reilly), fairly unknown band but they have some amazing songs and Steve Morse, Zakk Wylde played on their album, they play instrumetal prog fusion shredding hard rock/heavy.
I you want fusion, Greg Howe is your man :).

Regards

André

·
Registered
165 Posts
Progdude said:
Help me find some really cool cds! And I need a to know where I can get it too!

Im looking for some good melodic/shred/prog music!!! Im not a big fan of growling vocals though.

I have.....
Symphony X
Dragonforce
opeth
Stratovarious
primal fear
Dream Theater
Vai
John Petruccis solo stuff
Sun Caged
Racer X
Cradle of Filth
Shadow Gallary
Yngwie
Michael Angelo
Rusty Cooley
Francesisco Farari
and a few others I cant remember.
why don't you go for some new (different) stuff. Try Scott Henderson for example...Maybe some blues guys.... You have some good ones but they all have similar sounds and approaches.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.