Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the new rg550 and of course, I'm a fan of Steve Vai. I read all the reviews of people saying these pickups are amazing, loud, harmonics come out easy and sustain is great, which I like, but there is one thing that people keep repeating, they are unforgiving and now I'm getting scared to put them in my guitar lol

How unforgiving are they compared to the stock pickups on the genesis rg550?

I'm not a noob player, but not a virtuoso either, probably intermediate to advanced. I'm afraid I will dislike how they will make every error more apparent, though, in a way, it would help me, in the long run, to make sure I always play clean I guess?

I haven't received the pickups yet, but now the thought of returning them is crossing my mind, what if I don't like them? I like the comments that say you get more sustain and better harmonics, but don't know about the unforgiving part. The problem is if I install them on the guitar, I'd probably won't be able to return them after that, would have to sell on ebay then

·
Registered
155 Posts
Take a deep breath. You will love them.

Have used/owned all three spec configurations in different Ibanez guitars. The standard RG550 pickups, the RG655 configuration of ToneZone/Air Norton and then the 777 30th with the Evolutions. All sound a little different, but the Evos seem the clearest of the bunch personally. No issues playing them.

·
Super Moderator
7,439 Posts
Whilst I have PAF Pros in more guitars than I have Evos in, when I do change pickups, most of the time, it's to Evos. They're my go to pickups.

The "unforgiving" part is just that they have a very quick attack and are very clear so they pickup all your mistakes as well as all your actual notes. Give them a month and there'll be less mistakes. :)

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
I got a JS1000 and it just didn't have the magic compared to other JS guitars I had so I put gravity storms in it which were brand new at the time and they sound great. I had an evolution neck in an S540 but I honestly don't remember it was 20 years ago and I don't have that guitar anymore

1 - 7 of 7 Posts