Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a Jem Jr that had quantum pickups…sold it. I have an S570AH that has Quantum pickups in it. It seems that they sound fine through my Orange Crush 35 RT, on the S570. But when I play through my Mesa/Boogies, I really notice that the pups are lacking. They are rather fizzy, and bland.

This S570AH is the only guitar that I have that has those pickups, and as I only paid 400 dollars for it, and it is otherwise a great playing guitar, I thought that rather than get rid of it, I will replace the HumBucker.

Anybody have any suggestions? Also, any suggestions for the single coil in the middle?
Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument Musical instrument accessory

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Mm, well, it's always worth messing around with the existing pickups - (half) air mods, different magnets, lowering them, experimenting with capacitors on tone control for variations in treble or bass cut. Personally, I tend to set pups fairly low in general, but hotter ceramic ones especially get lowered a lot and amp adjusted to taste.

What are you after? PAF style? Medium? Hot? True single coil or stack?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I am not familiar with the quantum pickups. Though i just got a set of air classics that are like a classic 59 PAF but with alnico 5 magnets. According to the description their "airbucker technology" allows them to use a stronger magnet without sacrificing sustain and string pull. It's essentially the same output as a classic PAF but does seem to sustain better than my experience with a traditional PAF without needing more gain. I am liking it for sure. It splits really nicely too since it isn't hot. I paired it with a true velvet single which is reverse wound for the middle position for hum canceling. Very nice combo. Something to YouTube and listen to some tones. It's in my green 540r that you saw me play in my JSX amp video I made to sell the amp.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I had a Jem Jr that had quantum pickups…sold it. I have an S570AH that has Quantum pickups in it. It seems that they sound fine through my Orange Crush 35 RT, on the S570. But when I play through my Mesa/Boogies, I really notice that the pups are lacking. They are rather fizzy, and bland.

This S570AH is the only guitar that I have that has those pickups, and as I only paid 400 dollars for it, and it is otherwise a great playing guitar, I thought that rather than get rid of it, I will replace the HumBucker.

Anybody have any suggestions? Also, any suggestions for the single coil in the middle? View attachment 18338
What do you want to do with it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.