Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh boy... OK, so I took the plunge. Looking forward to posting results. I have a JEM Style body from BYO guitars and a 555 Neck (that I'm 90% sure is a fake) that's been sitting in a closet for 6 or so years now. A friend of mine if going to put this Frankenstein monster together and we'll see what comes of it. Hey, maybe a cool guitar with a sustainer, right?

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Oh boy... OK, so I took the plunge. Looking forward to posting results. I have a JEM Style body from BYO guitars and a 555 Neck (that I'm 90% sure is a fake) that's been sitting in a closet for 6 or so years now. A friend of mine if going to put this Frankenstein monster together and we'll see what comes of it. Hey, maybe a cool guitar with a sustainer, right?
Thanks for being the guinea pig... lol! Actually, it sounds like a cool project... \m/

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sup fools! So... I received my sustainer today! Now obviously, the true test will be how it actually performs & sounds, but with that in mind I have to say that the fit & finish is excellent. It looks well made, and came with easy to follow installation instructions. My tech is building this beast over the course of the next couple of weeks. I am hoping to have it for a performance at the Oakdale Theater in Wallingford, CT by June 11. I will most likely outfit the BYO body with the venerable Gotoh 1996T (any input on the compatibility of those two would be greatly appreciated). Updates to follow!

Thousands of notes! Sustain for a hundred years! Wubba Lubba dub dub!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Howdy folks. I just thought I would update on the construction of this guitar. I don't have any sustainer pics/video/sound clips to share, but I thought some might appreciate pictures of the scalloping my luthier just completed. I think he did an outstanding job. He told me out of the gate that in a few (two I believe) minor spots, the inlay started to thin out a bit, but I'm ok with that. In my opinion, it's no poor reflection on his work. As I said earlier in the thread, I think that this neck was either home made or counterfeit, so I am really happy with the results. Enjoy!

Wood Table Rectangle Flooring Hardwood

Wood Office equipment Rectangle Handwriting Gas

Musical instrument Grille Musical instrument accessory Guitar accessory Wood

·
Registered
7 Posts
lost my old account ( yers i do not visity that forum ^^).
But i saw and i'm curious too . It's a copy and they are present also as "yves sustainiac /sustainer" on FB social.. some users got problems , if product is defective it's your loss so is a bit hard to take the plunge ( though price on fb were higher).They copy both sustainer and sustainiac .
How did it end for you? works well , or eats battery /artifacts etcte ? With customs import duties they should be about 120 here in Eu .

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lost my old account ( yers i do not visity that forum ^^).
But i saw and i'm curious too . It's a copy and they are present also as "yves sustainiac /sustainer" on FB social.. some users got problems , if product is defective it's your loss so is a bit hard to take the plunge ( though price on fb were higher).They copy both sustainer and sustainiac .
How did it end for you? works well , or eats battery /artifacts etcte ? With customs import duties they should be about 120 here in Eu .
Hey there! So, I have not yet put my hands on the guitar but I got some feedback from my tech.

He said that it does work (good first step). He's running into a bit of high frequency modulation that happens when the harmonic switch is turned on. From some research, it sounds like this isn't totally uncommon even with the more reputable brands. He is going to explore some options by way of cavity shielding, gain pot trim and wire shielding.

For those that are curious, the model that I purchased does not function as a neck pickup. For this guitar, we installed a single coil neck pickup right next to the sustainer and it is working out just fine. I'm cool with having an HSS configuration, and it can always get swapped for a stacked humbucker if need be. From what I understand

One lead on the on/off switch came loose and that had to get re-attached. I believe Veyz makes a model that doubles as a pickup but that's a story for another time.

I'll share some audio once it's working.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you very much for answering , heart of the story is stuff to be forwarded to techs quite often ,the difference is the customer care off course !
Plus , as side info i can add , when i did ask in facebook selling eu group if that thing yves was selling was legit , i got warned and banned from facebook group and to post for a while .. i took it personally and used my time ( which usually on social i do not mind to waste) and forwarded enough proofs and screenshots to Fb plus the fact he was selling copies of legit stuff and got back ,but still something to consider as a "company " , in my view only when they are cheaper than the cheapest like you would do fo any "aliexpress compani -alike" , without to mention pm from people who got defective items ( at higher price about 150)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you very much for answering , heart of the story is stuff to be forwarded to techs quite often ,the difference is the customer care off course !
Plus , as side info i can add , when i did ask in facebook selling eu group if that thing yves was selling was legit , i got warned and banned from facebook group and to post for a while .. i took it personally and used my time ( which usually on social i do not mind to waste) and forwarded enough proofs and screenshots to Fb plus the fact he was selling copies of legit stuff and got back ,but still something to consider as a "company " , in my view only when they are cheaper than the cheapest like you would do fo any "aliexpress compani -alike" , without to mention pm from people who got defective items ( at higher price about 150)
Yeah, the copies are red flags for sure. I don't condone the copywrite infringement of legitimate products. The unit that I bought (to my knowledge) doesn't steal any design aspects from the Fernandes or Sustainiac products. The iSustainer I purchased looks simply like a plain white active single coil pickup. My experience thus far has been good. Like I said in my above mentioned post, there were some leads that were not attached properly out of the box but part of me can reconcile that issue for $70. I had a feeling there might be an issue or two. There are some Veyz products that don't look like blatant rip-offs to me too, and maybe I'll try them at some point, but that's a story for another day.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah, the copies are red flags for sure. I don't condone the copywrite infringement of legitimate products. The unit that I bought (to my knowledge) doesn't steal any design aspects from the Fernandes or Sustainiac products. The iSustainer I purchased looks simply like a plain white active single coil pickup. My experience thus far has been good. Like I said in my above mentioned post, there were some leads that were not attached properly out of the box but part of me can reconcile that issue for $70. I had a feeling there might be an issue or two. There are some Veyz products that don't look like blatant rip-offs to me too, and maybe I'll try them at some point, but that's a story for another day.
well to my (little ) knowledge copyright is fernandes , then others added their own boards .The only difference is that indonesian do not pay those copyrights ( sustaniac messaged me back that those indonesian are just doing "theft" not else) . But i guess to try a system that kind of money should be right ( it raised btw) ,Sustaniac is too much for an european,with custom duties added and shipment it would cost like a used 7620 i 've bought,,insane

1 - 19 of 19 Posts