Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
…from daily practice that is. I am just getting burned out. I don’t know if I’m in a rut or have just plateaued. Anyway I need a rest and something new.

I am going to be working on my friends new Taylor (used) for the next week. She bought a 210 E. It has some fret wear. It’s getting a level and crown along with filing the pokey fret ends fixed. The saddle might need a bit of a shave. The fretboard is filthy. It has been a couple of months since I rehabbed a guitar.

She got it well below market. But the local GC would cost her over 200 Bucks to do the work. So there would go the savings if she had them do it.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
I don't practice every day, but only when I feel like it and that's a mixture of composing new songs and new licks. Technically I'm not the master, but that's not important for me. The main thing is that I can transfer my feeling to the fretboard and arouse emotions in the listeners. As long as you are not a professional musician, you don't have to be able to do everything. So, no problem, there are times when I don't pick up the guitar for weeks because I just don't feel like it. But there are times when I am very creative and spend a lot of time on the guitar.

Cheers !

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I was practicing (running drills) daily for 2 and a half years. Once my son was born my hobbies were limited to the guitar since all the others... They just cost too much. I ran through all my theory books and notes... Relearned how to hold a pick, and completely changed the way I look at the fretboard... And about 6 months ago I got burned out big time. I didn't touch a guitar for a month. It was liberating. I came back with a little rust... But worked that off and my creativity was back. Sometimes you just need a break. The spark was the new amp, it lit a fire under me and now I have 6 new compositions to write something to.
I wrote lyrics for the first time in 10 years! Craziness lol. I was back on the horse obsorbing new licks and ideas... Then I broke my foot and my routine has gotten flipped upside down... So I am ready to get back on the bandwagon again myself. I am hoping to get a go ahead on going back to work this Monday🤞. I hope you get that mental turn around... Sometimes that rut is irritating to get out of...

You seem to love working on guitars just as I do. I get almost as much satisfaction working on them as I do playing them.

·
Registered
227 Posts
…from daily practice that is. I am just getting burned out. I don’t know if I’m in a rut or have just plateaued. Anyway I need a rest and something new.

I am going to be working on my friends new Taylor (used) for the next week. She bought a 210 E. It has some fret wear. It’s getting a level and crown along with filing the pokey fret ends fixed. The saddle might need a bit of a shave. The fretboard is filthy. It has been a couple of months since I rehabbed a guitar.

She got it well below market. But the local GC would cost her over 200 Bucks to do the work. So there would go the savings if she had them do it.
CHRIST I wish I could do that stuff!!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
I don't practice every day, but only when I feel like it and that's a mixture of composing new songs and new licks. Technically I'm not the master, but that's not important for me. The main thing is that I can transfer my feeling to the fretboard and arouse emotions in the listeners. As long as you are not a professional musician, you don't have to be able to do everything. So, no problem, there are times when I don't pick up the guitar for weeks because I just don't feel like it. But there are times when I am very creative and spend a lot of time on the guitar.

Cheers !
THIS.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I was practicing (running drills) daily for 2 and a half years. Once my son was born my hobbies were limited to the guitar since all the others... They just cost too much. I ran through all my theory books and notes... Relearned how to hold a pick, and completely changed the way I look at the fretboard... And about 6 months ago I got burned out big time. I didn't touch a guitar for a month. It was liberating. I came back with a little rust... But worked that off and my creativity was back. Sometimes you just need a break. The spark was the new amp, it lit a fire under me and now I have 6 new compositions to write something to.
I wrote lyrics for the first time in 10 years! Craziness lol. I was back on the horse obsorbing new licks and ideas... Then I broke my foot and my routine has gotten flipped upside down... So I am ready to get back on the bandwagon again myself. I am hoping to get a go ahead on going back to work this Monday🤞. I hope you get that mental turn around... Sometimes that rut is irritating to get out of...

You seem to love working on guitars just as I do. I get almost as much satisfaction working on them as I do playing them.
The end of working on those guitars is the perfect guitar. I remember you told me that you'd broke your foot while operating a fork-lift, and something fell off of the forks and it hit your foot. Sucks being out of commission, but we humans are tough, and you've gotten so much satisfaction from owning your first guitar, all the way to where you are now. You're a hero dude! And of course, having a child brings so much weight to it. Little time for anything else - and you can't even practice at night! "Honey, the baby is screaming, it's your turn..." Ugh!!! I do not have any children, and I never want to be married. At my age, I don't have to worry about that anymore, but hey, sh!t happens.

JSX (which airline was that again?), thanks for posting a serious a dilemma that I'm sure a lot of people here can understand. Nothing is easy. Welcome to the world of planet earth. So try to take things a little more lightly...

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
The end of working on those guitars is the perfect guitar. I remember you told me that you'd broke your foot while operating a fork-lift, and something fell off of the forks and it hit your foot. Sucks being out of commission, but we humans are tough, and you've gotten so much satisfaction from owning your first guitar, all the way to where you are now. You're a hero dude! And of course, having a child brings so much weight to it. Little time for anything else - and you can't even practice at night! "Honey, the baby is screaming, it's your turn..." Ugh!!! I do not have any children, and I never want to be married. At my age, I don't have to worry about that anymore, but hey, sh!t happens.

JSX (which airline was that again?), thanks for posting a serious a dilemma that I'm sure a lot of people here can understand. Nothing is easy. Welcome to the world of planet earth. So try to take things a little more lightly...

I was working on a forklift, not operating one (I finally go back to work tomorrow!)
JSX is a signature peavey amp that they developed with Joe Satriani back in the early 2000's 😝

1 - 11 of 11 Posts