Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've messed around with some pretty fancy high end tube amps for years, throwing vast sums of money at numerous heads and fancy multi FX systems such as the G-system, during this period I crafted a pretty nice tone, but at a cost, leads everywhere, pedals everywhere, half stacks, attenuators etc.... and as precious floor space granted to me by the boss diminished I started to consider downsizing my rig, so eventually went super minimal with a Boss GT-1000 and two Yamaha DXR10 II PA speakers. I knew what my guitars were capable of and after a few days tweaking I had a respectable tone, no more mess, and great I can now have this super tidy set up (ok with just the one speaker) in the main living room so its always there on hand to use and begging to be played, rather than relegated to a far flung (usually cold and dark) corner of the house - which was far from conducive to playing.

But.... GAS comes along every winter for me and I suddenly want need a new guitar, no problem, 0% credit card at the ready... guitar(s) start to arrive.... then I plug in and it dawns on me, I can no longer hear the raw tone of the guitar anymore, everything is super processed, everything is simulated! so I have no idea if this new RG565 or Fender Ultra sounds like crap, can these sound better, am I missing something.... or its just my computer programming skills that are lacking (only so many hours in the day to tweak virtual dials and continuously save settings!), I literally may as well have bought a £99 piece of crap from China.

So, I now have no option, I NEED a proper amp again, I will definitely end up in the cold shed within the next 2 weeks, and those innocent guitar purchase suddenly got way more expensive than I was planning, what was I thinking.... trying to please others at the expense of my music! So Jemsters, don't make the same foolish mistake, stick to your guns and real amps, it'll only cost you in the long run!

I cant wait to plug in to a tube amp, direct, unprocessed, raw. ;)

·
Registered
97 Posts
The 230 magical pixies that come out of UK walls can never be replaced. Im 32 so grew up in a half analogue half digital world, ive never found much joy in modern digital equipment.

I would much prefer to be surrounded with dusty old tube amps and cables, in fact, its something i actively work towards

Here's hoping you find something more enjoyable.:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.