Ibanez JEM Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
So, apparently the new 6 string AZs have new, lower output proprietary SDs and a trem that's flush with the body - interesting. I thought they were just new colours and rosewood board.

I can't help but think that the red binding would make it look like some early 2000s Schecter Nu Metal machine. ;)

I was hoping for a Prestige RG570 with a modern twist, but Ibanez have just gone a step too far in the wrong direction again.

The $2000 Koa Premium is where it's at this year, simply because they've got all of the features we like (Edge trem, good pickups and nowadays, fancy name-brand frets!!!) but nothing extraneous to spoil the show.

All the stuff we like, with none of the stuff we don't. It's a simple, winning formula.

Steve Vai could learn a thing or two from that magic spell ;)
Ha, maybe! But would there be a new catalogue release without some b*tching about what could've been done better? :grin2: With something like the Jem, if yet another iteration was released with different colours and tweaked pickups, people would've moaned in the following ways: nothing has really changed, no FP, Steve/Ibanez resting on their laurels etc. Hehe.

I suppose you're thinking of something that's between, say, a Genesis version which has the classic specs and a J-Custom, with ultra fancy woods and pickups, bit of bling.

I would love an headless guitar made by Ibanez.
Since they already do headless basses....
Would be interesting, and not inconceivable. Headless is popular again with prog/metal folk these days, with the likes of Kiesel and Strandberg offering high end stuff, and Harley Benton the afforable end.

·
Registered
55 Posts
SUPER weak lineup this year, one guitar stands out that i'll damn sure be purchasing.
The PWM20 in white, SICK.

Other than that one, meh.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Compound radius on the new AZ, nice.
You can do it Ibanez... do the same on the 2202a and you take my money.

The FRM is also nice.

The rest is meh for me. Or maybe a real neck on the new PWM.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Overall, it's a pretty decent range of spec and finish options, with better pickups available on midrange models than I would expect.

I'm surprised there are no Prestige RGAs or 6-string Prestige RGDs.

Premium models with Wizard necks tick most of the boxes for me, but unfortunately don't have a 430mm radius - the one thing that out me off buying a 2017 RG1070PBZ, which otherwise had better specs than many Prestige models.

Are the prices roughly the same as last year or have they gone up again?
(In UK a 2020 Premium costs as much as a Prestige did in 2015, and 2020 Prestige is 50% more...but that's partly due to more expensive stock pickups and finishes).

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
At first I was taken by the RG565 in fluorescent orange but, TBH, now that I've had a chance to let it all settle in the RG631ALF is the most interesting to me.
Seems like a great guitar and a great price with features I like to try out the world of Fishmans.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
The S model with HSS and a fixed bridge is tempting. (SEW761FM)
Thats the one that jumped out at me first too... I really like the S-series, plus I have always wanted an Ibanez with offset dots for some reason. The Paul Waggoner model is right there too.

I want to like the AZ's too, but prefer either a solid bridge or double locking tremolo. Never could get along with a non-locking nut with a tremolo, but some folks say they can be made to work well and stay in tune.

Overall thoughts... A little conservative on the line-up this year, but that is understandable. Probably a good business decision. \m/

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm most interested in the new new AZN model as I'm looking for something that more or less competes with the EBMM Cutlass models. I had found the earlier models to be a little to much of an "in-betweener" - not quite a balls to the wall shred machine but still a bit too hot to cover the vintage Strat space, so hopefully the lower output pickups (and I'll admit that I pretty much deck a Strat trem anyway) will fill the bill because the AZ necks are great!

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
I want to like the AZ's too, but prefer either a solid bridge or double locking tremolo. Never could get along with a non-locking nut with a tremolo, but some folks say they can be made to work well and stay in tune.

Overall thoughts... A little conservative on the line-up this year, but that is understandable. Probably a good business decision. \m/
I like how Ibanez is introducing the new AZ models. The 7-strings are Prestige and have a matching Prestige 6-string counterpart. To me, this comes across as the same guitar but in 2 equal versions. EBMM JP models are made this way (same model, 6/7 string versions) and it seems to work well.

I have a guitar with a floating tremolo and locking tuners that works well and stays in tune. With out locking tuners, I think you are playing with fire but I'm sure some people make it work.

·
Super Moderator
7,284 Posts
I like how Ibanez is introducing the new AZ models. The 7-strings are Prestige and have a matching Prestige 6-string counterpart. To me, this comes across as the same guitar but in 2 equal versions. EBMM JP models are made this way (same model, 6/7 string versions) and it seems to work well.

I have a guitar with a floating tremolo and locking tuners that works well and stays in tune. With out locking tuners, I think you are playing with fire but I'm sure some people make it work.
EBMM always seemed to have the right idea with the JP to me, it's a signature guitar, yes, but dealers can order any combination from the spec sheet, colours, piezo, inlays, matching headstock etc. And all of that in either 6 or 7 string version.

·
Registered
63 Posts
EBMM always seemed to have the right idea with the JP to me, it's a signature guitar, yes, but dealers can order any combination from the spec sheet, colours, piezo, inlays, matching headstock etc. And all of that in either 6 or 7 string version.
Unfortunately those were the "good old days"; EBMM doesn't have that long spec sheet any more, and all the JPs come "fully loaded" - piezo, matching headstock and shield inlays. It's been that way since 2016-2017.

·
Super Moderator
7,284 Posts
Unfortunately those were the "good old days"; EBMM doesn't have that long spec sheet any more, and all the JPs come "fully loaded" - piezo, matching headstock and shield inlays. It's been that way since 2016-2017.
I did not know that!!!

I figured that dealers were just fully loading the guitars themselves because that's what sold quickest!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Right now I am so conflicted. I love that Martin Miller Signature 7th string AZ (I had no idea who that guy is until I saw the guitar on Ibanez site but that AZ on blue looks awesome).

I also would love to own one of those PIA limited colors that are still around and a EBMM JP Majesty 7. But sadly one can choose one... Also what if Ibanez releases a Blue Pia? or a 7th string one this year?

I guess I need to hold up a few more months to not get any surprise release of something awesome.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I did not know that!!!

I figured that dealers were just fully loading the guitars themselves because that's what sold quickest!
A lot has changed since the beginning, except that you can get any EBMM JP as either a 6 or 7 string. ;)
EBMM has changed a lot in terms of how they are doing business - in 2016, when they brought out the Cutlass and StingRay guitars they dropped the option list (where you could pick the color, pickguard, etc. a la carte) and moved to more of a set color/pickguard/combo business model. They've also moved the Silhouette, Silhouette Special, Silhouette Baritone, Axis, and Axis SuperSport to more or less "legacy" status. The Silhouette models had only been available in black or white, and they cut the Axis colors down to 3 (one of which was clear/natural).

As of this past week damn near every color combination has been discontinued - really the only thing that is staying the same are the models that came out in 2020, along with some of the Majesty and JP colors (specifically the JP15 is keeping its colors). I guess they're waiting until the "virtual NAMM" week to release their new colors and model lineup.

Sorry for the EBMM highjack! Still looking forward to trying out the AZ2204N model and comparing it to the Cutlass.

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Sorry for the EBMM highjack! Still looking forward to trying out the AZ2204N model and comparing it to the Cutlass.
On the 21st Ibanez will release their "show specials." Until that time, it might healthy for this thread to wander a bit. I had noticed EBMM had discontinued a lot of colors. I wonder why they left the discontinued colors up on their website if they have been discontinued and are no longer offered? Showing us guitars they don't make isn't helpful. Maybe it's a work in progress...

·
Super Moderator
7,284 Posts
EBMM has changed a lot in terms of how they are doing business - in 2016, when they brought out the Cutlass and StingRay guitars they dropped the option list (where you could pick the color, pickguard, etc. a la carte) and moved to more of a set color/pickguard/combo business model. They've also moved the Silhouette, Silhouette Special, Silhouette Baritone, Axis, and Axis SuperSport to more or less "legacy" status. The Silhouette models had only been available in black or white, and they cut the Axis colors down to 3 (one of which was clear/natural).

As of this past week damn near every color combination has been discontinued - really the only thing that is staying the same are the models that came out in 2020, along with some of the Majesty and JP colors (specifically the JP15 is keeping its colors). I guess they're waiting until the "virtual NAMM" week to release their new colors and model lineup.

I have to say that to my eyes, both the stingray and cutlass guitars look like a joke. Kind of a rehash of cheap Strat copies from the 70s or 80s that lay abandoned in guitar shops once things like the RG became available.

That just goes to show how out of touch I am with the current guitar market. But if Someone told me that Jeff Kiesel had been hired as a design consultant on either of those (or the EBMM St Vincent model) I would not be surprised.

I'm looking forward to see if EBMM bring out some cool new Petrucci colours. For several years now I've 'nearly' bought one simply due to the cool colours available. But I'm not 100% convinced on the guitar so just buying on colour is a hard sell, even for me ;)

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
I've been researching the EBMM Petrucci guitars a lot lately. Torn between the Majesty and JP15. Neck specs are close to Ibanez and would guess they are pretty similar profiles. Medium stainless frets sound perfect. Almost got a Dragons Blood Quilt JP15 but have the large frets. For that price specs need to be perfect for me. I'd go J Custom but the busy TOL, I dont care for.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts