Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

Time for me to buy a new guitar, i'm really into the Ibanez AZ line, especially the 2402 RBB prestige limited model, but i keep reading thread about tuning issues due to the bridge/nut on those AZs...

I've never played one at the moment since i live 2 hours away from the first ibanez dealer...

Is this tuning issue really affect many guitars ? I've seen post saying a guy tried 5 models in a store and all were affected by some tuning stability problems when bending near the nut or using the bridge even with lubrification

I won't buy without trying but i need to know if buying an AZ is a coinflip...

Thanks for feedbacks !

·
Vendor
26,524 Posts
There are no Ibanez non locking systems that you could expect stability like a double locker. You can get decent dives and float and remain n really good relative tune, but you have to cut the back side of the nut in the direction the strings flex out in dives to stop binding. But these systems are not made to go whammy crazy and expect pure return every time. It will not. If you're using a bar like than stick with double lockers. If you're using a bar lime Timmons would, then you'll find it will perform to that level well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok i got it Rich thanks, i had read that the Guthrie Govan Charvel had the same issue with the same non locking/bone nut system

I also heard that hard bending could be an issue, what do you think ?

what do you recommend for this guitar to avoid some tuning issues ? is nut sauce a good investment ?

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
I have the Premium AZ242 and I'm still utterly shocked how well it stays in tune for a non-locking system. I'm not crazy with the whammy though.
Now the buzz that keeps rearing its ugly head on my D-string seventh fret A..... that's another story. I'm going to have to have someone look at that. :/

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your feedback, i already have 3 prestige model and the fretwork is great, i assume it won't be an issue on the AZ prestige range !

Since the tuning question has an aswer, the question is know : Ibanez AZ prestige 2402FF RBB or Charvel guthrie govan ? 😛

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
I honestly don't think my issue is a fret issue as much as a possible neck pocket issue. Fretwork isn't always great on a Prestige either but generally better than Premium, yes.
IMO you should go with the Prestige AZ but that's me. Or a Suhr Antique Modern. I generally shy away from sig models.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried different suhr guitars...2 modern HSH models and 1 standard HSS...
Honestly great guitars, well built, but not worth 4500€

I prefer some musicman or prs, at least they have some mojo that Suhr don't have but it is my own opinion

Modern Satin could be a good deal, 2500€ but don't really dig the look... i really love Ibanez japan built quality i was just worry about all those negative feedbacks on the AZ line

I think i'll go for this gorgeous limited edition AZ 🙂 thanks for all your feedbacks

·
Registered
108 Posts
Rich: the work you did on mine has it staying pretty solidly in tune over the course of a live set even with some warbly and dive+slide madness. :) Yeah, it's not stays-a-year-in-tune solid, but it's still pretty damn brilliant for anything you wanna throw at it over the course of a practice/rehearsal/performance.

·
Vendor
26,524 Posts
Yea, the strings all flex out to the treble side on dives so you have to roll off straight but it's more important to roll the back side to the treble side or that's where it will bind. Sometimes it's still going to catch and drop out of tune but that's non locking systems.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Having checked out the AZ line, and getting a Kiesel Delos I'd go with the Kiesel 100% of the time. They just released a model called the Theos which is aimed right at the AZ line /Suhr . For 1600 you get a 4a top, chambered body, and roasted maple neck. Their roasted necks feel better to me too. For the money they are hard to beat IMO. They also come in 6 and 7 string multi scale for a little more. You also get to pick your options and can send in your own pickups to be installed.

https://www.kieselguitars.com/catalog/guitars/t6

1 - 13 of 13 Posts