Ibanez JEM Forum banner
3K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  RGTFanatic 
#1 ·
Well another project has been finished (finally).

This time an Ibanez DT 350 from around 1983, I believe it was one of the yellow ones. I bought this 8 years ago in a musical instrument/mobile phone exchange shop in Southampton (UK). It had a terrible home made paint job, which I swore I would get rid of. So I stripped it down and gave it another terrible home made paint job. It is by no means a perfect finish, but since I was doing it in the back garden (as I am wihtout worshop space at the moment) I am not too bothered. See below:

As ever the guitar has been put together by Steve at PJ's Guitar Centre in Portsmouth.

The pickups are a Bare Knuckle Rebel Yell matched pair (which you will know are the Stevie Stevens endorsed units). I believe that these are the first bare knuckle 6 strings to ever have pink covers. From what I understand, they did 7 strings with pink bobbins, but they had to actually order the stuff in to make these, so I'd better start using more pink pickups!

I haven't actually played this yet, as I am yet to get down to Portsmouth to collect it, but I understand that it absolutely screams!

See less See more
#8 ·
Would you believe that of all the customs I have done, this is by far getting the most attention!

Ha ha! Nice! Thanks for sharing this, it made me smile. I hope it really rocks. Good on you for keeping the Eighties alive in Merry Old.

Peace

Mike
Man, it rocks hard. These bare knuckle pickups are just awesome. They have really transformed this axe.

Don't worry guys, I am determined to drage music kicking and screaming back into the eighties.

#10 ·
Damn man, that gtr gave me a rager!! That's such an awesome looking gtr. I have been looking for one for years with no luck. I have a friend who builds his own bodies and was thinking about having a custom body made and mating it with a 22 fret neck from the "S" series and an original Edge trem. Anyone with one of these willing to trace the body shape for me so I have something to work from? If yes, please pm me and we can work out the details. I would appreciate any help on this.

#15 ·
I'd love to see ( or hear) some clips. I've been looking for a DT for a looooong time but can't ever seem to find one at a good price. I actually found a 78 2459, but the trem was blocked in and a gibraltar added to it. It looks great, but for $1200 I'd prefer it to be original. BTW... the link is not the actual guitar I'm looking at..... just an example

http://www.ibanezregister.com/images/images-vintage/2459/Explorer-Totale.jpg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.