Ibanez JEM Forum banner

101 - 120 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
It's funny about the color. I had a couple of candy apple red guitars and a metallic turquoise. For acoustic I had a few Gibsons and Martins that had a nice deep brown mahogany color. All those were gorgeous in person but none of them looked good on stage at night or during the day. Stuff I don't take to like white, black, and gold actually look the best. Black and gold are great during the day and for night gigs, nothing cuts through visually quite like white or off white. Colored stage lights also make white a great color for a guitar.

Colors are kind of like sounds.

What sounds great on a guitar with just an amp and distortion pedal is often too weak to cut through the mix of a band or recording. A less buzzy distortion with some nice clean highs work better with other instruments also playing and cut through better on a recording. But just by itself, that clean and slightly distorted guitar tone doesn't seem to have enough balls and distortion. Sometimes the simple stuff, colors or sounds, end up working the best in real life. So for now, probably, until the end of the year, the Iron Labels in the states for sale will be those stage worthy all black or all white models.

Ibanez has never been shy about introducing new colors, model tweaks, and completely new concepts (like Fireman, Talman, Artcore all next to the perennial and trusty RGs) into year and every year so 2014 should predictably be a great one.
That makes alot of sense. White and black are base colors so they would stand out more with various lighting and such.

Still though, I love Ibanez's candy Apple. It's a little darker than fender's flashy candy apple and just looks great.

I've seen a used talman before, wanted to try it but didn't have time and it sold pretty quick. I also saw a Jet King II before didn't get a chance to try that either :?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Colored Ibanez Iron Labels are here in the US on Sweetwater's site. It's the first I heard of those over here:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=ibanez+iron+label&Go=Search

While I like the finishes, Iron Labels seem to get by on their sheer black or white simplicity. Gibson/Epiphone did well with their black satin "Goth" series and many makers copied them in this respect. The colored Iron Labels are similar to regular or Premium Ibanez guitars, sans fretboard inlays.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Why do 7 & 8 exotics have gold hardware. I am not a fan at all of that option and I think its looks cheap. Although the RG8 look really great in red with the EMGs.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Why do 7 & 8 exotics have gold hardware. I am not a fan at all of that option and I think its looks cheap. Although the RG8 look really great in red with the EMGs.
It's not typical of the 7 and 8 strings. Because a lot of the extended range stuff is tied in with metal, black hardware seems to be the logical choice. My metal guitar had black hardware and black nut but I went out and bought all chrome parts, beige pickup rings, and beige nut. Most would have not done that but if possible I like the harken to the closest thing to what Fender or Gibson it is closest to. Mine is a Viper which is a knock off of the SG and most SGs were chrome hardware.

I like the classic chrome parts look to my guitars.

Gold plated hardware looks appropriate most often on stuff like Super 400, L5, Benson, and White Falcon. Other metal finishes for hardware on super high end stuff would just look strange. I don't really go for the super high end stuff with gold, tons of binding, and fancy inlays. I want to play a guitar and not have to polish the thing every time I touch it. What would be a great invention is a type of gold hardware that didn't wear off so easily. I see even brand new guitars with gold hardware that has faded just from the patrons in a store who briefly played it. Black hardware is somewhat more durable but chrome lasts the longest.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Here's a non-black/white Iron Label for Fall 2013 in US market:

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/u_...1&color=CL01&year=2013&cat_id=1&series_id=150

It doesn't really fit the "simplified essentials" of the other black and white Iron Label guitars that preceded it. It's otherwise a nice guitar but probably put into the incorrect category.

I saw the smart introduction of the Iron Labels as a direct frontal assault on the huge market of djent and I just don't see djent fans buying a fancy guitar like this, no matter how it sounds. Djent is all about extremes and the simple black and white Iron Labels still seem to fit the style of music more. Now for a prog metal guitar in the style of a Tosin Abassi, this guitar rocks.

I think from now on what we will see will be the early releases, if any, for the new 2014 Ibanez market.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Wooo, that Eric Krasno looks sweet :D
It's basically a shorter body, like the Scofield, but otherwise has the same standard 24.75" inch scale length. Unlike the Scofield, it doesn't have a pickguard but bridge and tailpiece are the same Gotoh models.

I would think the slightly hotter wound 36th anniversary PAFs to be very similar to Super 58s with the basic baseline of a 1950s PAF but with modern midrange boost for lead soloing.

It looks to be a premium guitar through and through. I do wish that they made one in natural like Krasno's favorite older Ibanez AS200. A five piece maple and walnut neck would be perfect with that one, as came on the old maple AS200s and would have looked incredibly sharp with an ebony fretboard. At one time Ibanez did have a high end, all natural and flamed maple AS model with five piece neck in the Chinese made Artcore AS103. But it's hard to get perfect and flawless flamed maple of that quality to be able to show off in a natural finish and a Japanese made all natural flamed maple guitar could be too expensive.

Less than stellar flamed maple can look pretty good with an all encompassing wine red finish and probably why they did it that way, unlike Krasno's all maple AS200. Sunburst flamed maple guitars like Scofields also have very little room for era in center of guitar which shows the wood perfectly. But edge to edge, naked flamed maple with perfection is very rare and akin to high end Gibson Super 400s and L5s.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
It's basically a shorter body, like the Scofield, but otherwise has the same standard 24.75" inch scale length. Unlike the Scofield, it doesn't have a pickguard but bridge and tailpiece are the same Gotoh models.

I would think the slightly hotter wound 36th anniversary PAFs to be very similar to Super 58s with the basic baseline of a 1950s PAF but with modern midrange boost for lead soloing.

It looks to be a premium guitar through and through. I do wish that they made one in natural like Krasno's favorite older Ibanez AS200. A five piece maple and walnut neck would be perfect with that one, as came on the old maple AS200s and would have looked incredibly sharp with an ebony fretboard. At one time Ibanez did have a high end, all natural and flamed maple AS model with five piece neck in the Chinese made Artcore AS103. But it's hard to get perfect and flawless flamed maple of that quality to be able to show off in a natural finish and a Japanese made all natural flamed maple guitar could be too expensive.

Less than stellar flamed maple can look pretty good with an all encompassing wine red finish and probably why they did it that way, unlike Krasno's all maple AS200. Sunburst flamed maple guitars like Scofields also have very little room for era in center of guitar which shows the wood perfectly. But edge to edge, naked flamed maple with perfection is very rare and akin to high end Gibson Super 400s and L5s.
It says Made in Japan below the guitar name so it's not a premium :)

Are the Benson and the Scofield in the same price range? I've actually never seen a Scofield before so I don't even know how much it could cost. All I know is that the Japanese site says nothing about it and I don't think they are selling them here currently.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
It says Made in Japan below the guitar name so it's not a premium :)

Are the Benson and the Scofield in the same price range? I've actually never seen a Scofield before so I don't even know how much it could cost. All I know is that the Japanese site says nothing about it and I don't think they are selling them here currently.
Oops I meant premium in that it is a top of the liner. It's actually a Prestige line guitar, properly, and very nice.

It's a perfectly executed guitar but not all that close to the one he uses even now. I would think if you want a replica or real guitar used by artist, you have to be exact like Jems, Satch, and Timmons. Again the price of a nice, natural flamed maple guitar from Japan would kick it up too high in price so it's a compromise. It's $2799 street price is high enough. I don't at all mind cherry red trans finish and I have a cherry red AS73 and I love it. The cherry is dark wine like the Krasno so it does hide a lot of the wood and grain. A lot of imperfections can be hidden so that lowers the cost of the type of flame you need to acquire.

The all mahogany neck on the guitar is similar in design to AS53s and AS73s and at least the Krasno model could have employed a stronger and more expensive three piece mahogany and maple design but better yet the original five piece maple and walnut stripe neck as on the natural AS200s and more recent Artcore AS103s. It's all in the details when you get up into the Prestige price range.

I am sure Krasno will play the official mahogany necked, red signature model along with his favored all natural AS200 with five piece maple and walnut neck. The way the current Krasno model does seem to cut corners in a way that would be appropriate for a Chinese model that is an approximation. What the current Krasno has that makes it close is the dual DiMarzio 36th PAFs so the sound is there 99% percent.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Oops I meant premium in that it is a top of the liner. It's actually a Prestige line guitar, properly, and very nice.

It's a perfectly executed guitar but not all that close to the one he uses even now. I would think if you want a replica or real guitar used by artist, you have to be exact like Jems, Satch, and Timmons. Again the price of a nice, natural flamed maple guitar from Japan would kick it up too high in price so it's a compromise. It's $2799 street price is high enough. I don't at all mind cherry red trans finish and I have a cherry red AS73 and I love it. The cherry is dark wine like the Krasno so it does hide a lot of the wood and grain. A lot of imperfections can be hidden so that lowers the cost of the type of flame you need to acquire.

The all mahogany neck on the guitar is similar in design to AS53s and AS73s and at least the Krasno model could have employed a stronger and more expensive three piece mahogany and maple design but better yet the original five piece maple and walnut stripe neck as on the natural AS200s and more recent Artcore AS103s. It's all in the details when you get up into the Prestige price range.

I am sure Krasno will play the official mahogany necked, red signature model along with his favored all natural AS200 with five piece maple and walnut neck. The way the current Krasno model does seem to cut corners in a way that would be appropriate for a Chinese model that is an approximation. What the current Krasno has that makes it close is the dual DiMarzio 36th PAFs so the sound is there 99% percent.
Well it's funny because Vai keeps using his 3 main axes evo, flo, and bo and you dont see him use his pink or any older crazy colored jems ever. So essentially, the new Krasno is kinda like the more recent FP2: Steve has one or 10 in his house but he doesn't take them with him on his tours. I could see the same thing happening to this Krasno, unless he decides to use it along with his 200. From the way you describe it, he only uses 1 guitar and doesn't deviate, kinda like Timmons.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Well it's funny because Vai keeps using his 3 main axes evo, flo, and bo and you dont see him use his pink or any older crazy colored jems ever. So essentially, the new Krasno is kinda like the more recent FP2: Steve has one or 10 in his house but he doesn't take them with him on his tours. I could see the same thing happening to this Krasno, unless he decides to use it along with his 200. From the way you describe it, he only uses 1 guitar and doesn't deviate, kinda like Timmons.
Krasno also has a Gibson semi-hollowbody that he seems to be pictured with as much, too. I don't know if his Ibanez AS200 is specifically a three piece neck or a five piece neck or if it's Japan or Korea but whatever it is, it's a much better guitar than current Artcores or Artstars, thus the full artist signature designation.

The most affordable artist guitars in the Ibanez hollowbody world are the Pat Metheny PM2 which streets for $999 and George Benson LGB30 for $1,099 and what would be great is a Chinese made Krasno AS model with the two DiMarzio 36th PAFs at that price and stock Ibanez bridge, tuners, and tailpiece. You could almost get the current $999 dollar Ibanez Artstar AS153, remove the pickguard, shorten the body to old school AS length, fatten the neck, and swap out the Super 58s for DiMarzios and you are basically right there with a reproduction of his old AS200. These days the nicer Japanese made vintage AS models have a price tag similar to the used Gibson ES-335s they meant to undercut with price. You can pretty much get a 30 year old ES-335 for two grand or a similar era AS200. While the ES-335 was far more expensive brand new than the AS200 in the early 1980s, the current vintage market has shown the demand for the old AS200 far outstrips that of the vintage ES-335. All things being fair the old Scofield type AS200s should only go for a grand at the very most. Too many of those are two grand on eBay neck and neck with Gibsons. As much as I love Ibanez and the early 80's AS200 which I can find for two grand, I would still go with the similarly priced 1983 Gibson 1959 "dot" reissue with 1960 slim taper profile neck and two Gibson Classic 57s in mint condition. It takes a lot of the best from different years of early Gibson.

I know intellectually that the Ibanez AS200 has a better and thinner neck and better fretwork than any Gibson ES-335 but the late-50s/early 60s ES-335 was the standard for which all semi-hollowbodies are compared. The great AS200 predecessors in the Ibanez Artist hollowbodies were certainly noticed by Gibson legal. Ibanez first surpassed the Gibson "dot" with those 1970s Artist semi-hollowbodies especially in Gibson's Norlin years, and Heritage certainly surpassed the Gibson ES-335 with their Heritage H-535. The Heritage would be my ultimate semi-hollowbody and that's about two grand street price, brand new. It's quite a bit cheaper than the Japanese made Ibanez John Scofield model.

Not all Ibanez artist models have to be made in Japan and the surf green Vai, Benson 30, Metheny PM2, and JS100 are perfect examples of affordable quality good enough for most of us.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Possible reason for all mahogany neck on Ibanez Krasno model

From the interview below, Eric Krasno seems to be happiest with borrowed Gibson Custom Shop ES-335 dot reissue. With an all mahogany neck and a pair of Gibson Classic '57s it makes sense that the Ibanez signature of his has a simple mahogany neck (possibly for fatter tone like Gibson ES-335) and the two DiMarzio PAF reissue pickups. This would pretty much give the Ibanez a very close tone to an old school late 1950s/early 1960s Gibson ES-335.

It's not that a mahogany neck and classic PAF sound is the best per se on a semi-hollowbody (I would prefer the long and unbroken history of the Super 58s and stronger mahogany and maple neck sandwich) but the current Krasno signature is pretty much in line with the first run Gibson ES-335s and a less direct or funky guitar than his AS200.

http://gearphoria.com/archives/8552

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I saw this on Ibanez Japan's site. It could very be the last offering in Fall 2013 before we hit 2014 lineup. It has all the goods to make it very much in the same league as a Scofield, the new Ibanez Krasno, or ever trusty AS200. It looks like, and probably has many of the sounds of the great BB King Lucille, but at far less hit on the wallet.

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/page13_jp.php?&data_id=5&color=CL01&cat_id=7&series_id=51

AS180 Artstar
MADE IN JAPAN
Manual Download
¥262,500 (本体価格 ¥250,000)
More Sharing ServicesShare | Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on email Share on print

Colors
BK
Black
Specification
neck type 1pc ARTSTAR Mahogany set-in neck
body Maple top/back/sides semi-hollow body
fretboard Ebony fretboard
bridge Gotoh® GE103B bridge
tailpiece Gotoh® GE101A tailpiece
neck pu Ibanez Super 58 (H) neck PU
bridge pu Ibanez Super 58 (H) bridge PU
hardware color Gold
string .013~.052 Round Wound
(D'Addario : PL013/016/022, NW032/42/052)
Neck Dimension

Scale 628mm/24.75"
a : Width 43mm @ 0F
b : Width 57mm @ 23F
c : Thickness 20mm @ 1F
d : Thickness 22mm @ 12F
Radius 305mmR
Body Dimensions

a : Length 18 1/4"
b : Width 15 3/4"
c : Max Depth 2 5/8"

101 - 120 of 120 Posts